Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,538,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Just to throw 2cents in - I moved here from Orlando florida and there far more racism, rebel flags, lifted pickup trucks, etc there, then here. And most people don't even consider florida to be a southern state!

Everyone I've met in Greenville so far has been very accepting. Oddly enough very few of the people I work with are even religious. The people here are far nicer and accepting (of everyone) then anywhere I've ever lived (Anchorage, Seattle, Boston, Orlando, Kansas City, Atlanta).
Thanks for confirming what I believed to be the case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,708,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Just to throw 2cents in - I moved here from Orlando florida and there far more racism, rebel flags, lifted pickup trucks, etc there, then here. And most people don't even consider florida to be a southern state!

Everyone I've met in Greenville so far has been very accepting. Oddly enough very few of the people I work with are even religious. The people here are far nicer and accepting (of everyone) then anywhere I've ever lived (Anchorage, Seattle, Boston, Orlando, Kansas City, Atlanta).
Some posters have an agenda here, to paint Greenville as full of rednecked racists, when the it's the furthest thing from the truth.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
I go to Orlando all the time as I have relatives who live there and I would have to agree with crackofdawn. I see more redneck types there than here.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,012 times
Great info here. My wife, myself and 4 month old son are thinking about relocating to Greenville. My mom lives in Anderson and when we visited a couple year ago we just fell in love with the downtown area. We are currently living in Colorado Springs (evangelical nut-job capital of the world) and are ready for a change of pace, as well as warmer temperatures. We don't attend church and consider ourselves agnostic, it is nice to see that we would not be alone. I enjoyed the comments about Orlando too, I grew up in that area and have to agree that the place is full of ignorant rednecks.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:20 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
I find it amusing that people want to move to the deep south, but they want to live in artsy, liberal neighborhoods. Huh? Why move to the South in the first place?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I find it amusing that people want to move to the deep south, but they want to live in artsy, liberal neighborhoods. Huh? Why move to the South in the first place?
I have to say the majority of the people I know/work with here are religious to various degrees, and conservative for the most part. BUT... they are all welcoming, generous, intelligent people who enjoy learning & doing new things and meeting new people.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Asheville?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,708,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Turbo View Post
Great info here. My wife, myself and 4 month old son are thinking about relocating to Greenville. My mom lives in Anderson and when we visited a couple year ago we just fell in love with the downtown area. We are currently living in Colorado Springs (evangelical nut-job capital of the world) and are ready for a change of pace, as well as warmer temperatures. We don't attend church and consider ourselves agnostic, it is nice to see that we would not be alone. I enjoyed the comments about Orlando too, I grew up in that area and have to agree that the place is full of ignorant rednecks.
C'mon dude, we're in the belt buckle of the Bible belt, and you start off with that insulting crap. Show a little respect and tolerance for someone that has an opinion that differs from your own. It appears by this post that you're not nearly as "tolerant and enlightened" as you think you are.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,012 times
@ Sonrise: Why is that insulting dude? Huh? Why are you offended by it? Are you familiar with the extreme right wing groups that set up shop and took controlling positions in our local governments out here? I have nothing but respect for everyone's opinions/faith/etc., may they differ from my own; but I do have a problem with blind sob's trying to shove their aggressive agendas down my throat. I encourage you to take pay us a visit out here so you fully understand what I am talking about. We have armies of brainwashed individuals that angrily threaten anyone who doesn't believe what they believe with the claim that they are going to hell. That, my friend is not tolerance and it pisses me off to no end. I have a good friend whose own mother tells her son that he is going to burn in hellfire because he does not attend her "mega-church" that spreads nothing but fear and insecurity. More concerned with abortion, homosexuality, etc. than spreading the pure, accepting love that Jesus Christ stood for. Those are the "evangelicals" I am referring to. Sorry to offend you BRO!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Turbo View Post
but I do have a problem with blind sob's trying to shove their aggressive agendas down my throat.
Paid attention to what's going on in D.C. lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area