Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,136,925 times

Advertisements

What about Flounders in Greer? Seems like someone said it was good and fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You have obviously never tried Nantucket, so please stop trying to act like you know everything about the seafood options in the Upstate. You can easily leave Nantucket with a very full stomach and carry out box filled with leftovers. Their large portions (try the cornbread crusted seafood platter and family size sides) are a refreshing change from many fine dining establishments we have tried. Again, as mentioned earlier, the prices reflect the quality of the atmosphere and the food. All seafood (of which there is a good variety) at Nantucket has been harvested within 48 hours prior to being served, making it difficult to beat in the Upstate regarding freshness and therefore flavor.

You may choose to avoid paying more for the experience, which is perfectly acceptable, but please understand that your knowledge of the subject will be limited by that decision.
I don't have to wait until I get off the plane in Greenville SC to go to Nantucket and get hit upside the head with overpriced seafood, small portions and a pretentious atmosphere....I live here in NYC.....we have every type of restaurant on the planet earth here and many of the worlds finest restaurants are here...and have been here for years....I have eaten at many of them, some more expensive than Nantucket. BTW I think living in Greenville for a number of years....still owning a home there which I visit several times a year qualifies me to know about the Upstates seafood restaurants. In the bang for your buck seafood restaurant category the options are very limited....which is to be expected because the Greenville and close surrounding areas are land locked....which is the reason many people head to Charleston when they want seafood. What's the matter only downtown Greenville can enjoy some spotlight and because Silver Bay is in Simpsonville the food is no good? Complete nonsense!

Another thing....when an OP asks for bang for your buck good seafood.....pricey Nantucket does not fit what the OP asked for.....Nantucket has its place but not in this thread! Nuff Said!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 11-19-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,136,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Silver Bay is very good. Are you too good for the blue collar folks? I've never had a bad meal there, and it doesn't cost me a fortune. Of course, for me, spending over $15.00 for an entree is nuts.
I equate Silverbay to seafood like I do Ryans to steak and Taco Bell to Mexican.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,855,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
I equate Silverbay to seafood like I do Ryans to steak and Taco Bell to Mexican.
So true!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I don't have to wait until I get off the plane in Greenville SC to go to Nantucket and get hit upside the head with overpriced seafood, small portions and a pretentious atmosphere....I live here in NYC.....we have every type of restaurant on the planet earth here and many of the worlds finest restaurants are here...and have been here for years....I have eaten at many of them, some more expensive than Nantucket.
So being the expert on NYC that you are, you know overpriced food when you see it. For all the great restaurants in NYC, there are plenty that are overpriced given the marginal quality and so-so atmosphere.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,429 times
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but Formano's on Woodruff Road may be worth a try. They make a great lobster roll. I have never had there fried seafood, but it smells and looks really good when it is served to those around me. I can't comment on the other restaurants mentioned, as I haven't been to them. However, I grew up near the northern New England coast and ate fish and seafood a few times a week. Based on the lobster rolls (my standard Formano's order), I bet their seafood is good, too.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,369,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I don't have to wait until I get off the plane in Greenville SC to go to Nantucket and get hit upside the head with overpriced seafood, small portions and a pretentious atmosphere....I live here in NYC.....we have every type of restaurant on the planet earth here and many of the worlds finest restaurants are here...and have been here for years....I have eaten at many of them, some more expensive than Nantucket. BTW I think living in Greenville for a number of years....still owning a home there which I visit several times a year qualifies me to know about the Upstates seafood restaurants. In the bang for your buck seafood restaurant category the options are very limited....which is to be expected because the Greenville and close surrounding areas are land locked....which is the reason many people head to Charleston when they want seafood. What's the matter only downtown Greenville can enjoy some spotlight and because Silver Bay is in Simpsonville the food is no good? Complete nonsense!

Another thing....when an OP asks for bang for your buck good seafood.....pricey Nantucket does not fit what the OP asked for.....Nantucket has its place but not in this thread! Nuff Said!
I am glad to see you have finally stopped ignoring my replies. I also see you still want to bring NYC into discussions that have absolutely nothing to do with the place. Not sure what your intention was in this case, since it did not add an ounce of credibility to your comments.

The inclusion of Nantucket Seafood Grill is completely appropriate in a discussion about the "best seafood restaurant in the Greenville area." Read the original post, which requests advice regarding "the best quality and the best bang for your buck." Some readers (myself included) interpreted that phrase as a reference to two separate categories. You offered one option in the "bang for your buck" category, and then someone else mentioned Nantucket as an option in the "quality" category. Clearly Nantucket is not considered a place to dine on a tight budget and nobody here said that. I presented my own opinion regarding Nantucket vs. Silver Bay, after having dined at both places. My post did not say "the food is no good at Silver Bay," nor did it include any reference the location of either restaurant (although that would be another interesting discussion).

Any comparison that does not take into accout the significant differences between the two restaurants is irrelevant, just as any comparison that includes incorrect information based solely on assumption is also irrelevant. From my personal experience, the portions at Nantucket are not "small," even by Silver Bay standards. Furthermore, the atmosphere of any place would need to be experienced personally before it could be legitimately judged.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:27 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,369,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee507 View Post
Again you have all helped me .. i went to bone fish grill. I liked it coming from Minnesota my idea of sea food is Red lobster , lol ...

If you guy can keep giving input it is great.

Thanks
Have you ever tried Saskatoon? They provide a decent variety of tasty meats in an intimate, rustic, lodge-style atmosphere.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,605,465 times
Has anybody tried Blockhouse Restaurant & Oyster Bar on Augusta? I know it's not all seafood but am intrigued with this long-time, local restaurant.

I plan to go for lunch today and will report back.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:21 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
What about Flounders in Greer? Seems like someone said it was good and fresh.
Yeah, that would be me, among others!

Many of you know that I just LOVE Flounder Bar & Grill in Greer.

I was just going through some papers and ran across my newest copy of Flounder's menu and thought others who may haven't tried this place would find it helpful since, at the time of this writing, I don't know of any site up on the web for them.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...m/aa73739b.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...m/7056421a.jpg

Last edited by Eldemila; 11-25-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area