U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,709 times

Advertisements

I need help! Our family is relocating to Greenville and I'm having trouble finding a town that has good schools. I'm looking for kindergarten, 2nd, 5th and 6th grade.
We also need to be near a good gymnastics gym. My husband will be working in Maudlin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 PM

6,419 posts, read 20,320,952 times
why not Mauldin? can't beat the commute!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 AM

84 posts, read 185,715 times
I would suggest powdersville or easley (anderson county part). The wren area schools are good. I looked into many when we moved 3 yrs ago. It was one of 2 that i found best (test scores etc.). I have one in middle and one in elementry. It is about 20-30 min or so to mauldin.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,458,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirchner View Post
I would suggest powdersville or easley (anderson county part). The wren area schools are good. I looked into many when we moved 3 yrs ago. It was one of 2 that i found best (test scores etc.). I have one in middle and one in elementry. It is about 20-30 min or so to mauldin.
I'd say that commute is closer to the 20 min end of the scale, esp. if you use the Southern Connector. Are there problems with Mauldin's schools that I'm unaware of??

Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Are there problems with Mauldin's schools that I'm unaware of??
Not that I know about and I've had children in 2 Mauldin schools so far!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM

344 posts, read 744,912 times
The Riverside schools in Greer are great- check the 29650 zip code. Greer is only around 15 minutes from Mauldin.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM

There are lots of threads discussing schools in our county in this forum. We answer these questions for every person that comes here to ask about them...over and over; you get the idea. A simple search should provide the results you are looking for. But for the record...South Carolina has one of the worst education systems in the country.

This link is to a recent news release by Greenville County Schools. 43 Greenville County Schools Teachers Achieve National Board Certification

Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 PM

66 posts, read 199,589 times
We live in Simpsonville near Five Forks and my children go to Rudolph Gordon, Riverside middle and Mauldin high and they are all great schools. You can also check out greatschools.org for more information about schools and test scores. I know Mauldin just scored 3rd in the HSAP out of 16 high schools. We are very happy with all these schools.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:53 PM

2,101 posts, read 3,239,186 times
said it once and i'll say it again your child's educational success will have less to do with the school they attend and more to do with what you as a parent put into it. i'd be less concerned with a schools HSAP scores and more concerned with what opportunities each school provides based on what your children are interested in. some schools in GC offer a very diverse group of courses while some offer the basics. some schools have and offer 22 varsity sports, some offer half that. some schools have AP and IB coursework, some don't.

mauldin, riverside, wren are all basically the same school in terms of socioeconomic - white, above average household incomes, parents with avg. or above educational backgrounds themselves.

the trick is finding a school or schools that will cater to what you and your kids want.

keep in mind that in GCS your younger kids will get shifted a few times in their academic tenures as the boundary lines are being consistently re-drawn on an almost annual basis.

in anderson district 1 your child may not necessarily attend wren high school as powdersville high school will be in operation next school year and will divert kids from wren to that facility.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,490 times
We have a home in Duncan which is right between Greenville and Spartanburg. It is in District 5 which has been called the best district. My daughter has went to all Elementary, Middle and now High School I could not be happier with her education. We are wanting to relocate due to our jobs being over an hour away. Our home is 1800+ sq ft, quiet subdivision, lots of children. You can go to You tube and type in 437 Lemon Grass Ct Duncan SC and you will see our beautiful home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area