U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,908 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Dallas, TX (where I grew up). My husband was just accepted into the new medical school (VCOM) in Spartanburg. It looks like we are moving to SC this summer. I currently work for a government agency and will start looking for a job there soon. I was told that I will probably have the best chance of finding work in Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC. Knowing that, what cities should we look to move to? Again, my husband will have to commute to Spartanburg and I will probably have to commute to Charlotte or Greenville. **Note: Where we move has to be very very safe and very friendly. I dont want to be anywhere near any type of ghetto. Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX - Displaced Michigander
2,067 posts, read 5,675,017 times
Reputation: 837
Charlotte is too long a drive from S'Burg. I loved living in Greenville, but Spartanburg is fine and there are other areas nearby that are pleasant too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,908 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Charlotte is too long a drive from S'Burg. I loved living in Greenville, but Spartanburg is fine and there are other areas nearby that are pleasant too.
Oh goodness, I didnt realize the distance. You say there are other nice areas around Spartanburg? Would you mind recommending a few? It is very exciting but a bit scary for me. I have never lived anywhere but in the Dallas area. Spartanburg and Greenville both have a walkscore of over 80 and where I am at now we have a walkscore of 26! This should be fun. Anyway, again, any advice would help as the first time I will have a chance to visit we will be renting our place. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,382,052 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
My husband and I currently live in Dallas, TX (where I grew up). My husband was just accepted into the new medical school (VCOM) in Spartanburg. It looks like we are moving to SC this summer. I currently work for a government agency and will start looking for a job there soon. I was told that I will probably have the best chance of finding work in Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC. Knowing that, what cities should we look to move to? Again, my husband will have to commute to Spartanburg and I will probably have to commute to Charlotte or Greenville. **Note: Where we move has to be very very safe and very friendly. I dont want to be anywhere near any type of ghetto. Thank you so much!
Everything was great until you mentioned needing to find work....does the government agency you work for not offer job transfers? If not sorry to say but finding livable wage employment in Greenville is an up hill battle. Also hope that you will have more than one income coming in...what they pay people in SC is ridiculous.

Charlotte would have been my first choice...more job opportunities than Greenville...anybody that tells you different is a liar. As far as day to day living would recommend Greenville over Spartanburg. But living in Greenville means your husband will have a 30-35 minute drive to Spartanburg everyday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: SC
9,101 posts, read 15,667,919 times
Reputation: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
Oh goodness, I didnt realize the distance. You say there are other nice areas around Spartanburg? Would you mind recommending a few? It is very exciting but a bit scary for me. I have never lived anywhere but in the Dallas area. Spartanburg and Greenville both have a walkscore of over 80 and where I am at now we have a walkscore of 26! This should be fun. Anyway, again, any advice would help as the first time I will have a chance to visit we will be renting our place. Thanks!
Your walkscore is calculated by the distance your house is from markets, stores, restaurants, libraries, theatres, etc. You could have a 90 walksore if your home was a tenth of a mile to lots of retail business and other amenities or a 1 walkscore if you are a mile or more away from anything in both Dallas and Greenville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
5,680 posts, read 10,873,159 times
Reputation: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Your walkscore is calculated by the distance your house is from markets, stores, restaurants, libraries, theatres, etc. You could have a 90 walksore if your home was a tenth of a mile to lots of retail business and other amenities or a 1 walkscore if you are a mile or more away from anything in both Dallas and Greenville.
That's a nice measure to use, but let's be real. This isn't Europe. Walkscores are probably more useful when comparing the top 20 or so metro areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,908 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Everything was great until you mentioned needing to find work....does the government agency you work for not offer job transfers? If not sorry to say but finding livable wage employment in Greenville is an up hill battle. Also hope that you will have more than one income coming in...what they pay people in SC is ridiculous.

Charlotte would have been my first choice...more job opportunities than Greenville...anybody that tells you different is a liar. As far as day to day living would recommend Greenville over Spartanburg. But living in Greenville means your husband will have a 30-35 minute drive to Spartanburg everyday.
Thank you NewYorkBorn, I appreciate your honesty. The agency I work for does offer job transfers but unfortunately there are no missions near Spartanburg. And no, my husband will be in school full time so I will be our sole provider for a while. Scary from what you have said. If this is the case, I may have to stay back in Dallas for a while until I am able to find work and then join my husband (sounds ominous).

Living in the burbs and working downtown Dallas, we are used to long commutes; 30-45 minutes is no problem.

Are there any areas between Greenville and Spartanburg that you might recommend? Or would it be more practical to live downtown Greenville (we do not have children but we have 2 dogs)?

Oh sorry, one more question: We currently have two vehicles (you just don’t walk in Dallas and we do not have the best public transit). Would it be possible/advisable to try and get on with just one car? Do many people do this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
5,680 posts, read 10,873,159 times
Reputation: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
Thank you NewYorkBorn, I appreciate your honesty. The agency I work for does offer job transfers but unfortunately there are no missions near Spartanburg. And no, my husband will be in school full time so I will be our sole provider for a while. Scary from what you have said. If this is the case, I may have to stay back in Dallas for a while until I am able to find work and then join my husband (sounds ominous).

Living in the burbs and working downtown Dallas, we are used to long commutes; 30-45 minutes is no problem.

Are there any areas between Greenville and Spartanburg that you might recommend? Or would it be more practical to live downtown Greenville (we do not have children but we have 2 dogs)?

Oh sorry, one more question: We currently have two vehicles (you just don’t walk in Dallas and we do not have the best public transit). Would it be possible/advisable to try and get on with just one car? Do many people do this?
Bear in mind that NewYorkBorn hasn't lived in the area for a while, and lived here apparently for a short time. The car/public transit situation here is probably similar to what you had in the Dallas area. Do your own research, and believe your own eyes and ears. Ask specific questions, and there are many here who can answer them from personal experience. We're rooting for you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,382,052 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
Thank you NewYorkBorn, I appreciate your honesty. The agency I work for does offer job transfers but unfortunately there are no missions near Spartanburg. And no, my husband will be in school full time so I will be our sole provider for a while. Scary from what you have said. If this is the case, I may have to stay back in Dallas for a while until I am able to find work and then join my husband (sounds ominous).

Living in the burbs and working downtown Dallas, we are used to long commutes; 30-45 minutes is no problem.

Are there any areas between Greenville and Spartanburg that you might recommend? Or would it be more practical to live downtown Greenville (we do not have children but we have 2 dogs)?
Oh sorry, one more question: We currently have two vehicles (you just don’t walk in Dallas and we do not have the best public transit). Would it be possible/advisable to try and get on with just one car? Do many people do this?
Natalee did not mean to scare you. I think that Greenville is a nice city as long as people understand that it is a place that just started changing about 10-15 years ago....can't expect it to have the same job opportunities as cities that have been established a lot longer. The other thing is that the only part of Greenville that is walkable is the downtown area because the restaurants and shops are right next door to eachother....if you can afford it then living downtown Greenville would be great...but it is expensive. The rest of Greenville is spread out and requires a car to get around....otherwise you will be dependant on Greenlink which is Greenvilles bus service and it does not take passengers everywhere.

When I lived there all I had was one car so yes it would be possible to live in Greenville with one car. Also living on one income that pays for housing, vehicle, food and utilities in a place like SC that does not pay the majority of its citizens a livable wage may be a bit difficult...especially without a support system (family) near by. My advice would be that if you decide to take a chance as you said have a definite job offer before you move.

Good luck to you and your husband.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
344 posts, read 771,874 times
Reputation: 289
I grew up in Greenville and have also lived in FL, the Washington DC metro area in VA, and I've been back in SC for over 7 years now. 2 of those years our family spent in Spartanburg. I can't tell you how beyond happy I am to be back in the Greenville area. Look in Greer near I-85, Pelham Rd., Hwy 14 and GSP airport. You have easy access to 85 which takes you to Spartanburg within about 25-30 minutes. Greenville is much, much nicer. My experience with Spartanburg was that there were pockets of bad/ghetto neighborhoods mixed in with the good areas. The crime was much higher than in the Greenville/Greer area. Yes, there are bad areas in Greenville, but you know where they are and can stay away from them- in Spartanburg they were just mixed in everywhere. In Greenville you would want to avoid the Berea and White Horse Road area and parts of the west side of Greenville (when speaking of crime). Greenville just has many more stores, restaurants, etc available. They have a beautiful zoo set within a beautiful park, an AMAZING downtown, great festivals year round- I could really go on and on. My husband works out of Charlotte, so we decided to try Spartanburg as a way to get closer to Charlotte (so his drive would be shorter), but to still remain near friends, family, etc. After 2 years there, we couldn't stay any longer. We decided that living back in the Greenville area was worth the extra 30 minutes he has to drive. I know some people really like Spartanburg, but for us (young family with small kids and 3 dogs), there is just NO comparison. We had a great neighborhood in Spartanburg, but when your neighborhood is surrounded by bank robberies and other not so great neighborhoods, it makes you really uneasy. We found ourselves constantly driving to Greenville to shop or go out to eat. Greenville has Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Retail-wise they have Macy's, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma and pretty much anything else you can think of. Spartanburg has none of that. Restaurant-wise, Spartanburg is full of fast food chains and chains like Applebees and Olive Garden. I have nothing against those restaurants, but we love GOOD food and we love to eat out. There is an endless array of restaurants to choose from in Greenville. Sorry for the long post, but when choosing between the areas you mention, I feel really strongly about my opinion.

Last edited by FitMom77; 02-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top