Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Reputation: 2647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The post above is not quite correct or factual. Obviously the poster above does not ride. Greenville does have miles of dedicated bike lanes, in addition to miles of greenway trails for bikes.

The "nothing more than a graphic in the road" referenced above are "sharrows" and they have been added in addition to the dedicated bike lanes. Sharrows are on roads too narrow for a dedicated lane. Here is what a sharrow is:

Shared lane marking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As a matter of fact, there are sharrows (thanks for providing the word for these) in Greenville that do not accompany any bike lane. They are, in fact, just placed in the middle of the road.

Don't believe me?







Pics from Falls St., downtown Greenville, SC:







How do I know about these? I live and work in Greenville. You, gs, do neither. Where is the bike lane that you say is "in addition" to these sharrows? Hint: there isn't one. While a graphic of a bike with an accompanying sign is a little helpful, it doesn't do very much safety-wise when you are on a bike with traffic on that road.

I've tried to commute by bike from home to work, and well it's not the easiest or safest thing to do. It takes considerable planning and a few risky sections as the bike routes are disjointed.

Here is the link to what the city has listed for bike lanes in Greenville
Current Bike Lanes_ 2009-11-24 - Google Maps

Here is a screen shot of that map:


That is what I mean by "disjointed." The sections between the red lanes are often risky and not bike friendly. There simply are not enough bike routes for any considerable commute. Now to be fair, as someone who lives, works and rides here, I know this map is not up to date. More bike lanes have been created that are not included on the map (take the one that goes from E.Washington to Laurens Rd. - it mostly has a dedicated lane, but in a couple of spots only has the "sharrows" with no lane available).

I think that you can find a variety of opinions on this subject due to a variety of people's backgrounds. If you grew up in the South and have never lived in a truly bicycle friendly city, then Greenville seems friendly. There are some bike lanes and some drivers who know the rules. However, if you have lived in a truly bicycle friendly city (like I have) Greenville comes off as lacking - a lot. Things have improved in the past few years, but they still have quite a ways to go, imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville......Bicycle friendly?-bicyclegraphic.jpg   Greenville......Bicycle friendly?-bicyclegraphic2.jpg   Greenville......Bicycle friendly?-bicyclegraphic3.jpg   Greenville......Bicycle friendly?-bicyclegraphic4.jpg   Greenville......Bicycle friendly?-screen-shot-2011-02-10-10.59.07  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
 
7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
As a matter of fact, there are sharrows (thanks for providing the word for these) in Greenville that do not accompany any bike lane. They are, in fact, just placed in the middle of the road.

Don't believe me?







Pics from Falls St., downtown Greenville, SC:







How do I know about these? I live and work in Greenville. You, gs, do neither. Where is the bike lane that you say is "in addition" to these sharrows? Hint: there isn't one. While a graphic of a bike with an accompanying sign is a little helpful, it doesn't do very much safety-wise when you are on a bike with traffic on that road.

I've tried to commute by bike from home to work, and well it's not the easiest or safest thing to do. It takes considerable planning and a few risky sections as the bike routes are disjointed.

Here is the link to what the city has listed for bike lanes in Greenville
Current Bike Lanes_ 2009-11-24 - Google Maps

Here is a screen shot of that map:


That is what I mean by "disjointed." The sections between the red lanes are often risky and not bike friendly. There simply are not enough bike routes for any considerable commute. Now to be fair, as someone who lives, works and rides here, I know this map is not up to date. More bike lanes have been created that are not included on the map (take the one that goes from E.Washington to Laurens Rd. - it mostly has a dedicated lane, but in a couple of spots only has the "sharrows" with no lane available).

I think that you can find a variety of opinions on this subject due to a variety of people's backgrounds. If you grew up in the South and have never lived in a truly bicycle friendly city, then Greenville seems friendly. There are some bike lanes and some drivers who know the rules. However, if you have lived in a truly bicycle friendly city (like I have) Greenville comes off as lacking - a lot. Things have improved in the past few years, but they still have quite a ways to go, imo.
Ummmm.....lets not be dense. K?

Sharrows, as I stated earlier are IN PLACE of bike lanes in areas where bike lanes are not possible, so you wouldn't find them beside a bike lane. Sharows are IN ADDITION to bike lanes on roads where bike lanes are not found. Get it? It is a way to extend bike friendly routes on roads too narrow for dedicated lanes. Understand?

The map you posted from Bikeville, number one is not updated with the recent bike lane additions (East North now has bike lanes for miles for example), nor does it show greenway trails, nor does it include sharrows.

As a person who has lived around the US in much larger cities and travels weekly to major cities (spent a great deal of time in Portland, OR....bike heaven) I can tell you, Greenville is light years ahead of most cities on cycling. Still a ways to go, but is anything ever really complete?

Last edited by gsupstate; 02-10-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
 
5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Reputation: 2765
The City needs to update their information about the current roads with bike lanes.

Sharrows aren't normally accompanied by bike lanes on the same stretch of road. They are typically implemented as an awareness symbol because many automotive drivers obviously still need a better education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
 
7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike1 View Post
Hi,
I'm an avid cyclist who's seriously considering relocating to Greenville.
I've heard there's a lot of anti-cycling sentiment in the area.
Are there any riders out there that can enlighten me?
You know what, on second thought, maybe you should be leery. I mean, Greenville has people who have moved here from Colorado and they do not understand what a sharrow is. Lots of education still to go. Be careful, everywhere....even in Boulder, Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
 
477 posts, read 841,203 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I understand what you are saying, but would you agree that there are specific places in the Upstate where you can safely go on a cycling tour with children? Examples include the Swamp Rabbit Trail and Furman University.
Well, yes. There are very nice areas to bike and walk but you have to get there first in order to do so. Just leaving the house with the kids and going on a bike tour would probably be a dangerous adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
 
7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Well, yes. There are very nice areas to bike and walk but you have to get there first in order to do so. Just leaving the house with the kids and going on a bike tour would probably be a dangerous adventure.
Only dangerous if you live in the suburbs. If you live in North Main, Overbrook, Cleveland Park, Augusta Street, West End, Laurens Rd, East North, Travelers Rest, Verdae areas....you have easy access to both bike lanes and the greenway trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Where does it say that they have the right. It does not anywhere.
Posts #14 and #15 in this thread will answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
 
477 posts, read 841,203 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Only dangerous if you live in the suburbs. If you live in North Main, Overbrook, Cleveland Park, Augusta Street, West End, Laurens Rd, East North, Travelers Rest, Verdae areas....you have easy access to both bike lanes and the greenway trails.
We live in Simpsonville. There are no biking areas or bike lanes on the street. If I see people on bikes here, it doesn't seem like car drivers are very careful around them. But again, that's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM
 
182 posts, read 492,652 times
Reputation: 130
We don't have the bike lanes like places in Colorado...we also don't have snow from October until May. And we don't have lanes like California, nor smog or insane property/sales tax. We're not Portland. What we do have is a community that is working diligently to accomocdate cyclists and we are embracing the sport thanks to George Hincappie and like minds finding that the Upstate of South Carolina has some of the best cycling venues to offer. Alot of progress has been made...and more is to come. Maybe you can't "ride your bike to work down Pelham Road" but you can surely find some of the most beautiful backroads and mountain roads to ride for miles and miles with little or no traffic. Group rides, bike shops, triathalon stores, and running groups all supporting the lifestyle and making many improvements for cyclists. And with the beautiful weather you can nearly ride year round. If you think the "bike lanes are disjointed"..move to Charleston and ride down Coleman Blvd., over the bridge to East Bay Street and back...if you make it to the other side without being run over by a tourist or a local driver, I'll buy you a beer and lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
 
7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
We don't have the bike lanes like places in Colorado...we also don't have snow from October until May. And we don't have lanes like California, nor smog or insane property/sales tax. We're not Portland. What we do have is a community that is working diligently to accomocdate cyclists and we are embracing the sport thanks to George Hincappie and like minds finding that the Upstate of South Carolina has some of the best cycling venues to offer. Alot of progress has been made...and more is to come. Maybe you can't "ride your bike to work down Pelham Road" but you can surely find some of the most beautiful backroads and mountain roads to ride for miles and miles with little or no traffic. Group rides, bike shops, triathalon stores, and running groups all supporting the lifestyle and making many improvements for cyclists. And with the beautiful weather you can nearly ride year round. If you think the "bike lanes are disjointed"..move to Charleston and ride down Coleman Blvd., over the bridge to East Bay Street and back...if you make it to the other side without being run over by a tourist or a local driver, I'll buy you a beer and lunch!
Well said Southern Sunshine! I'd rep you, but it won't let me as I recently gave you another rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top