Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
We don't have the bike lanes like places in Colorado...we also don't have snow from October until May. And we don't have lanes like California, nor smog or insane property/sales tax. We're not Portland. What we do have is a community that is working diligently to accomocdate cyclists and we are embracing the sport thanks to George Hincappie and like minds finding that the Upstate of South Carolina has some of the best cycling venues to offer. Alot of progress has been made...and more is to come. Maybe you can't "ride your bike to work down Pelham Road" but you can surely find some of the most beautiful backroads and mountain roads to ride for miles and miles with little or no traffic. Group rides, bike shops, triathalon stores, and running groups all supporting the lifestyle and making many improvements for cyclists. And with the beautiful weather you can nearly ride year round. If you think the "bike lanes are disjointed"..move to Charleston and ride down Coleman Blvd., over the bridge to East Bay Street and back...if you make it to the other side without being run over by a tourist or a local driver, I'll buy you a beer and lunch!
Nice post that I agree with overall.

Yes, there is a relatively large community of cyclists in the area that enjoy riding in the surrounding areas.

Yes, there are local drivers that hate these riders and don't even believe that cyclists have a legal right to be on the roads.

Yes, the bike lanes and bike routes are getting better all the time and improvements are actively being done.

Yes, the bike lanes here are disjointed as I have illustrated. Not sure how riding my bike through Charleston would change that.

Yes, it snows in Colorado. There's smog in California. People talk funny here in the South. However, none of these things have anything to do with trying commute via bicycle in Greenville, SC.

Although you should be careful about offering me beer for riding my bike. I've ridden pretty far for beer, much less free beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM

182 posts, read 492,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Nice post that I agree with overall.

Yes, there is a relatively large community of cyclists in the area that enjoy riding in the surrounding areas.

Yes, there are local drivers that hate these riders and don't even believe that cyclists have a legal right to be on the roads.

Yes, the bike lanes and bike routes are getting better all the time and improvements are actively being done.

Yes, the bike lanes here are disjointed as I have illustrated. Not sure how riding my bike through Charleston would change that.

Yes, it snows in Colorado. There's smog in California. People talk funny here in the South. However, none of these things have anything to do with trying commute via bicycle in Greenville, SC.

Although you should be careful about offering me beer for riding my bike. I've ridden pretty far for beer, much less free beer.
My friends who ride in Colorado tell me that drivers use cyclists for "target practice" on some of the backroads. It seems that "anti-cyclist sentiment" is growing evey where...maybe because roads are more crowded with drivers and people are just becoming down right mean and hateful (some southern "funny talk" for ya..).

Not disagreeing with your illustration of disjointed bike lanes at all, just stating that it can always be worse, I was using Charleston as an example, because that's where I live now, bike lanes are horrible or simply do not exist. Rated the 4th most dangerous city to cycle in by a cycling magazine a couple of years ago. So by comparison, Greenville is a better ride. I'm not sure I would commute by bike in either city but if you go early morning, I'm guessing you'd fare better in Greenville.

The point about the smog, snow, etc. was again, by comparison, Greenville is a pretty decent place to live. There are lots of things to complain about, but I'm not sure the "cycling scene" is one of them, given the quick response the city has made to cyclists needs and the progress being made to accomodate and promote cycling in Greenville. I really miss riding there alot! And free beer is always good bait, especially after a long ride..Fat Tire please! Safe riding...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM

182 posts, read 492,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well said Southern Sunshine! I'd rep you, but it won't let me as I recently gave you another rep.
Thanks friend!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
I love this billboard concept: Sac Cycle Chic: 'Nuff Said!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I love this billboard concept: Sac Cycle Chic: 'Nuff Said!
Move to Lisbon and ride a bike. Nuff Said!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Move to Lisbon and ride a bike. Nuff Said!
No thanks. I can just ride mine here instead which I have the right to. If you don't like it, contact your local state senator.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,881 times
Already have. Told him to come see what a bunch of jerks are on the road. Just watched two fine bicycle riders run the red light on Harrison Bridge Rd. and stop traffic while they rode across.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Anybody know where a good place to find a decent used road bike? I want to start hitting some of the trails and maybe join some of the group rides. I suppose I should contact some of the previously posted bike shops to see if they sell used bikes.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 AM

241 posts, read 387,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Anybody know where a good place to find a decent used road bike? I want to start hitting some of the trails and maybe join some of the group rides. I suppose I should contact some of the previously posted bike shops to see if they sell used bikes.
Luck Bike Recycle Shop

Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfuprof View Post
Thanks...I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area