U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 AM

49 posts, read 70,729 times

Advertisements

Yesterday Sparkle City lost a little of it's sparkle. John B. White, founder of the Beacon Drive-in passed away. He passed out smiles-a-plenty and lots of full stomachs over the years. When I first came to Spartanburg back in the 80s I was taken to 'experience' the Beacon Drive-in. That's the only way you can really describe your first visit to the Beacon. Mr white was there at the cash register with his apron on and I thought he was one of the cooks. He didn't charge me for a quart size cup of sweet tea. When I called his attention to it and asked if he might not get in trouble for it, he says to me " Son, I own this place. If I don't want to charge you I won't get in any trouble". lol What a guy! He's going to be missed. Even though he sold the Beacon some years ago, to me it will always be Mr. Whites place and our place.

Please post some of your 'Beacon experiences' so we can all share and remember and memorialize his life. After all, he was the Beacon and the Beacon was him. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,542,439 times
Sorry to hear - The Beacon is an institution! I know Mr. White hasn't owned the place for years, but I hope they can continue with minimal changes.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM

85 posts, read 133,786 times
Mr. White was a great man. I remember going to the earlier Beacon with my dad in the mid 60's and continued to go the present Beacon through out my high school years in the 70's. He also hosted the church services outdoors there on Sunday nights, don't know if they still do this as I do not live in Sptbg anymore. He will truly be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area