U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,915 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Greenville SC from Sarasota FL. I see there's a lower cost of living, and there are manufacturing companies. All those type of jobs have left my area. I also see that your Craigslist looks pretty nice. I just sold my house to avoid forcloser and must leave on March 1. I hear the Rock Hill area is a good area because it's close to Charlotte, and according to other threads they have a good job market. Greenville is my first pick, and I would love to hear your opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,700,392 times
Welcome! Just browse through various threads in this forum - most any question you'd have has probably been answered in another thread recently. If you have specific questions, let us know.

It seems manufacturing jobs are picking up in the area. I would expect other types of jobs are slowly opening up, or will soon (provided something drastic doesn't derail the fragile recovery underway nationally).

Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,340,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel View Post
I want to move to Greenville SC from Sarasota FL. I see there's a lower cost of living, and there are manufacturing companies. All those type of jobs have left my area. I also see that your Craigslist looks pretty nice. I just sold my house to avoid forcloser and must leave on March 1. I hear the Rock Hill area is a good area because it's close to Charlotte, and according to other threads they have a good job market. Greenville is my first pick, and I would love to hear your opinion.
Make sure you have a job offer before you move.
Yes living in Rock Hill because it is close to Charlotte's job opportunities would be a smart move. You can live in Rock Hill and benefit from SC low tax rate and have the benefit of Charlotte's job opportunities.....best of both worlds!

Not sure what you are used to in Florida but the pay in South Carolina is terrible.....lower cost of living = lower paying jobs.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

5,095 posts, read 7,273,607 times
Make sure you do your own research, some people's opinions are biased. I make just south of 100k, so the post before mine isn't completely true.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,135,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Not sure what you are used to in Florida but the pay in South Carolina is terrible.....lower cost of living = lower paying jobs.
The pay here (FL in general, and Sarasota specifically) is very similar, or worse than the Greenville Area. It's mostly a tourist and seasonal economy, with a lot of service based industry.

Unemployment rate here is also much higher than SC, or Greenville.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM

6,569 posts, read 20,917,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Make sure you do your own research, some people's opinions are biased. I make just south of 100k, so the post before mine isn't completely true.
C-D's Greenville data indicates a median household income in 2009 of $38,090 while the State data indicates a median household income in 2009 of $42,442; far from the "100k" mentioned by motonenterprises. Most don't make what you do motonenterprises or the numbers would be higher.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,340,779 times
Finally a voice of truth....thanks Myrc60!

OP those making (90k plus a year) that kind of money in South Carolina are so rare....well you get the point! Believe me you will not get off the plane in Greenville SC or any other part of SC for that matter and make that kind of money. Finding good paying job opportunities there is an up hill battle.....now if you are willing to work temporary forever through a staffing agency for $7-$10 an hour in somebody's sweatshop I mean factory then you will probably have an easier time there.

Unfortunately some on this forum have an axe to grind with anyone who tells the truth about Greenville.......

Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
C-D's Greenville data indicates a median household income in 2009 of $38,090 while the State data indicates a median household income in 2009 of $42,442; far from the "100k" mentioned by motonenterprises. Most don't make what you do motonenterprises or the numbers would be higher.
What Motonenterprises is saying is there are jobs in that range here, and apparently quite a few of them. I think it's quite appropriate.

The Eastside, North Main, Cleveland Park and Augusta Rd areas are quite a large swath of the metro area, and even in the current and recent economic climates, have hardly become abandoned, delapidated shadows of their former selves.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,915 times
I'm basically paying cash for a home, and hopefully have a job in place before I arrive. Then I plan to reopen my tv repair business. Thanks's guys.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel View Post
I'm basically paying cash for a home, and hopefully have a job in place before I arrive. Then I plan to reopen my tv repair business. Thanks's guys.
Wow - good for you! You should be ahead of the game then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area