Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Only in a "micro-city" which the website says Greenville is (smaller than a small city) could there be this much excitement generated over a 9 story building going up.
So what? At least were building something. That 9 story is actually taller, and this thing takes up a whole block that was a mess. 170ft is the equivalent of 17 floors at 10ft a floor. We've gone over the micro city thing too many times. I won't explain again.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 AM

54 posts, read 147,602 times
Wow! The claws came out a little early this morning!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm22206 View Post
Wow! The claws came out a little early this morning!
When you have people posting things with no true research, the claws are going to come out. Lol.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
So what? At least were building something. That 9 story is actually taller, and this thing takes up a whole block that was a mess. 170ft is the equivalent of 17 floors at 10ft a floor. We've gone over the micro city thing too many times. I won't explain again.
What difference does it make? I was just making an observation. I've lived in all sizes of cities including big, medium and small and now a micro sized one as it is described in the Washington Square description.

Why are people in Greenville so touchy when people mention and rightly so that based on population, Greenville, by most standards wouldn't even be considered a city at all but just a medium sized town?

Greenville will never in a million years compare to an Atlanta and hopefully you wouldn't want it to. I like the fact that nobody outside of SC has ever heard of Greenville and that they don't even make a decent map of Greenville. The fewer the people that know about it the better.

Here in the upstate Traveler's Rest with its 12000 residents is called a city. I just think it is funny that's all. I think calling Greenville a micro-city is an apt characterization and there is nothing wrong with it. In some respects it compares with larger cities but it shouldn't be expected to.

SURE when you throw in the entire county and Anderson and Spartanburg you start to get into medium sized city populations but three towns and multiple counties don't make a city.

I'd rather see Greenville improved for those of us that are here right now. Before any more buildings are built or airports renovated at taxpayer expense, I'd rather see more farmers markets on more days lasting all day which shouldn't cost the taxpayer a penny.

For example, why can't Greenville join some other counties across the nation that have stopped adding Flouride to the drinking water? Why can't Greenville be among those that are opting out of Agenda 21? Why can't Greenvillians be among the first in the country to INSIST all grocers label groceries with GMO ingredients in them like Vermont is doing? http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ntroduced.aspx
The quality of life would increase considerably here as would overall health of those that live in Greenville, if these things were done. We don't need to spend more money to have more. We should expect more for what we spend now!

http://www.varight.com/news/two-more...od-iclei-news/

http://www.sofmag.com/iclei-voted-out-albemarle-county

http://www.fluoridealert.org/Alert/U...-fluoride.aspx
http://www.fluoridealert.org/Alert/U...-to-water.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ntroduced.aspx

Last edited by emilybh; 06-30-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
What difference does it make? I was just making an observation. I've lived in all sizes of cities including big, medium and small and now a micro sized one as it is described in the Washington Square description.

Why are people in Greenville so touchy when people mention and rightly so that based on population, Greenville, by most standards wouldn't even be considered a city at all but just a medium sized town?

Greenville will never in a million years compare to an Atlanta and hopefully you wouldn't want it to. I like the fact that nobody outside of SC has ever heard of Greenville and that they don't even make a decent map of Greenville. The fewer the people that know about it the better.

Here in the upstate Traveler's Rest with its 12000 residents is called a city. I just think it is funny that's all. I think calling Greenville a micro-city is an apt characterization and there is nothing wrong with it. In some respects it compares with larger cities but it shouldn't be expected to.

SURE when you throw in the entire county and Anderson and Spartanburg you start to get into medium sized city populations but three towns and multiple counties don't make a city.

I'd rather see Greenville improved for those of us that are here right now. For example, why can't Greenville join some other counties across the nation that have stopped adding Flouride to the drinking water? Why can't Greenville be among those that are opting out of Agenda 21? Why can't Greenvillians be among the first in the country to INSIST all grocers label groceries with GMO ingredients in them?
The quality of life would increase considerably here as would overall health of those that live in Greenville, if this was done.
That would mean all of our peers are micro cities. You don't have a clue what small is. Your perception is just that. I'm from a true small town. Greenwood, and there are Towns smaller than it. A urban area of 400k and a msa of about 650k isn't small to me. It's just right! Who said anything about being Atlanta? If I wanted that I'd live there. If you wish to believe city limit population as a true indicator, that's on you. From a business standpoint, more is considered though; and rightfully so. Find me any true city of 60k and let's compare them. You can't.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
If people like myself want to be excited over this development then let them. Nothing wrong with that. Like redcliffe said, it's like getting two 17 story buildings built instead of a nine and 11 story one due to the floor heights. Greenville city population is a "micro city" mainly due to strict annexation laws at the state level. If you include the county or MSA population, it becomes much larger.

If Greenville was truly home to only 60,000 people we wouldn't have a thriving downtown that continues to grow by leaps and bounds, the state's largest hospital system with a university (USC) medical school currently under construction, 16,000 seat arena, the state's largest mall that includes Apple, Sephora, J. Crew, Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, etc., international airport with Southwest Airlines that is under-going a $102 million expansion project currently, major performance arts center that is currently playing the Lion King, new HQ for fast growing companies like CertusBank and TD Bank, and other major national retailers/restaurants like Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe's, REI, PF Changs, Anthropologie, Costco, etc. Not sure why some people on this forum have so much trouble getting this info through their head. Nothing but beating over a dead horse here.

Last edited by g-man430; 06-30-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 01:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
That would mean all of our peers are micro cities. You don't have a clue what small is. Your perception is just that. I'm from a true small town. Greenwood, and there are Towns smaller than it. A urban area of 400k and a msa of about 650k isn't small to me. It's just right! Who said anything about being Atlanta? If I wanted that I'd live there. If you wish to believe city limit population as a true indicator, that's on you. From a business standpoint, more is considered though; and rightfully so. Find me any true city of 60k and let's compare them. You can't.
Perhaps your perception would grow if you'd ever lived outside of SC and might then start to understand what I'm talking about. In fact, all you would have had to have done is read what I'd written and what criteria I was talking about.

I agree. There aren't any real cities anywhere in SC. They ARE ALL MICRO CITIES. So what? What is wrong with that?

Providence, RI is considered a small city and it has 175,000 inside the city limits. Newport RI has 28,000 residents and it calls itself a city but it really is just an historic colonial town like a smaller version of Charleston. Sure there are other things that make it a city just as there are for Greenville but I'm not talking about that.

If Providence is widely thought of as a small city, than how can Greenville that is 1/3 the size be in the same ball park?

Here's what comes to most people's minds when they think of small, medium and large cities. Based on this maybe Columbia and Charleston just squeak into the small city category.
City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City
By its non-agricultural population is a city classified: 100000-200000 a small city, 200000-500000 a medium city, 500000-1000000 a large city and >1000000 an .

Obviously there are other characteristics of cities to consider besides population which would include much smaller towns as cities as well. I'm talking strictly about a long and widely held general perception based on population sizes though as above OK?

That means based on the above definition, anything under 100k is either a tiny city or a town or a "micro" city.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 PM

130 posts, read 224,846 times
I feel like this conversation is not appropriate for the topic. I do like Emilybh how you were able to throw in Agenda 21. By the way New York City got excited about this development, Developers Wager on Big City Office Towers - WSJ.com, and its only 100 feet taller than ONE.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 PM

emily I'm a business man I travel all the time, so don't go there. you want things to be simple and they aren't. There is more complexity to it. Urban area is the best indicator of a city's true size. We've been here before.

Last edited by DSMRE; 06-30-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:16 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Only in a "micro-city" which the website says Greenville is (smaller than a small city) could there be this much excitement generated over a 9 story building going up.
People aren't excited about this project because of its height but because it has been the site of decades of work that is finally becoming something with the pedestrian scale that also has the ability of holding the Certus bank headquarters, an Anthropologie (a first for the city and in downtown), the Clemson MBA school (among other degrees) and that isn't including several retail spots available that weren't there before. This is just in the first two phases mind you and there is a third phase that is planned for the Bank of America parking garage next door that is described as a "signature" tower which will help complete Laurens Road as a pedestrian scale street. This project has also helped push the renovation of Piazza Bergimo and has helped prove that the original stretch of Main Street is still popular, even as retail pushes far into the West End and extends down several side streets. This project, along with the NoMa plaza, renovation of the Hyatt, the new apartments a block away on Washington, and upfitting of space in many small retail locations show that North Main still has it after many years. The citizens of the city really don't care about the height and it's more of what it symbolizes. Some actually felt it was too tall but I hope with the setbacks that it has, people will realize it is appropriate for a block sized site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area