Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,374 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been really looking into moving to the Greenville area recently. The problem I have been having is that I cannot find any local classifieds/Web Sites with housing (rentals---houses/duplex/apartments) and the "normal" stuff you find in the classifieds. I have read many of the posts about the good, the bad, and the ugly about the area, so I am not asking for that so much (although I will take anything anyone has to add!). However, I was hoping that maybe some of you great "posters" could help us out and give us an idea of where to look (online) for local ads and such. I have been through the big time apartment/house rental sites that list the $1000/month rentals, lol. But those aren't our "thing". In other words, we are not looking for some mini mansion type of place. I also wanted to ask if there are many manufacturing/labor jobs in or around the area. My husband currently works in a carbon/graphite facility and I noticed several in the state of SC, but any factory type work is great if anyone has any info. I am going to be finishing my AA in the health care administration/medical records field, so I'm sure there's not a lot to ask about that (as in--everywhere has medical offices/facilities). Any input is greatly appreciated.....but I hope that I didn't say anything that is going to start a battle between residents (as I have noticed on other threads). Thank you all!! I am excited to think that we will sometime be joining everyone who is already enjoying the area!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM

271 posts, read 796,187 times
Have you tried Craigslist? There is a rental section and a ton of rentals are listed every day. Gotta be careful...sometimes scams are there,but if it looks to good to be true (like a huge beautiful house for dirt cheap), then it usually is. But there are alot of for real rentals there too. If you are looking for something under $1000, I have seen a ton in that range.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,657,473 times
There are a bunch of property management companies listed on this thread. The last post has a large list.

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...2-rentals.html

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,374 times
Thanks! I will check them out..I never bothered with Craigslist because of all the horror stories of scams and such, but it's worth a shot. Thank you! =)

Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM

344 posts, read 815,388 times
BMW has been hiring a lot lately for their assembly plant- that would be a great place to look! I'm not sure where you go to do that, but maybe someone else on here can post some info for you. Three great "local" rental sites are:
Coldwell Banker Caine : Real Estate : Homes in Greenville, Spartanburg and Upstate South Carolina (SC) (look under the "lease" tab)
Marchant Property Management
The Goldsmith Company*-*Greenville, SC's Premiere Rental and Property Management Company

Good luck- you will love it here!!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,531,380 times
[quote=FitMom77;18125636]BMW has been hiring a lot lately for their assembly plant- that would be a great place to look! I'm not sure where you go to do that, but maybe someone else on here%2

Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,531,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
BMW has been hiring a lot lately for their assembly plant- that would be a great place to look! I'm not sure where you go to do that, but maybe someone else on here can post some info for you.
MAU is the company that hires for BMW here. Search Jobs | MAU.com I believe all new manufacturing hires are temps, but the possibility exists to become a permanent BMW employee. Either way, I hear benefits, etc are very good. MAU has held several job fairs in the past year, and I would imagine another one wouldn't be too far away.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,544,608 times
BMW is a good place to start for temporary hiring.....but keep in mind they have been known to lay off hundreds of temporary workers in the last few years and usually people are kept temporary forever. If you can get in this would be a good stepping stone for employment in Greenville but I would keep my eyes open and actively seek permanent opportunities!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 PM

216 posts, read 413,205 times
If you, or your husband, take a temp job you should be aware that some corporate rental companies that aren't local (and don't know how things are in the area) WILL NOT consider temp jobs as work for the purposes of qualifying to rent an apartment - even if someone has been in the same position for years. If you and your husband find yourselves in this position, it'd be your best bet to get hired on someplace that's relatively easy to get a job at, like telemarketing or fast food.

Once you sign your lease and get moved in, you don't have to keep those jobs. That's not the ideal way to do it, but if you find yourself in a situation like I described, do what you have to do, and don't waste any time feeling bad about it. Corporations, however large or small, will look out for their own best interests and will shamelessly do what they have to do. Don't feel bad for beating them at their own game, if you have to take it there.

Best of luck to you both!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 AM

5,588 posts, read 15,358,889 times
This page in the local IWANNA publication could be helpful as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area