U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,236 times

Advertisements

hi all,
we are looking to move from PA to either SC or FL in the next year or so. as much as i wanted go be closer to the beach, we are now really thinking that greenville is a better fit for us for many reasons. we are coming down next week to take a second look.

is there such thing as SAFE but CHEAP neighborhoods in the greenville area? we have 3 small children, so safety is my biggest concern. i plan to homeschool, but i should probably be in a decent school district just in case something drastic happens and they have to go to school at some point. i recently left my job to be a stay at home mom, and i plan to continue doing so for many, many years to come. so, that means that we would be living on my husbands salary alone....and he doesnt make that much. here in PA he works in printing/manufacturing, and he makes about 18 per hour. he does not have a college education, but he has a great work ethic, common sense, and great references from over 15 years of steady employment. we are good and decent christian people, but we just dont make a lot of money and therefore dont have new house/car, etc. we are able to make it here just fine on his income....we live in a small town and the mortgage on our older but decent 3 bed 2 bath house on a corner lot with fenced in yard is less than 500/month. anyway, i'm hoping that he would be able to get a job at the large printing company in spartansburg or one of the many other manufacturing companies in the greenville area....but i have no idea how much he would make......i'm thinking maybe $15 to start???? we would plan to rent for awhile and then buy. are there neighborhoods that are lower income but still safe? i mean, in my town here there are some drugs, but no drug users/dealers EVER bother with us.....there are no gangs....i have no fear of me or my house being robbed....i can walk around at night and not worry. the people here dont have much money, so they dont have much, but they are not criminals or anything. so, does a similar place in greenville exist....low/medium income but NOT slum, ghetto, projects, etc. i did look around a bit the last time i was there, and to be honest the houses and neighborhoods in our price range seemed to be scary.....and when i drove through some of the neighborhoods, people were really starring at us and talking about us and we were definately the minority (we are caucasion)....and the houses were in poor condition. i'm hoping that i was looking in the wrong areas.....?
if you have read all of this, thank you, and please give me some ideas of areas to check out while i'm there next week!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,870,335 times
I know a young family who live in the Taylors area and love it. They're renting the house they live in, but they live mainly on his salary. The wife also blogs and sells health & cosmetic products online and he does handywork and computer/web work on the side; they're both very enterprising, resourceful people. They don't homeschool,

They're very happy where they live, but there are some sketchy neighbors a street or two over and the condition of the houses can be hit-or-miss. If an area is really inexpensive and in an "in-town" area, I would just realistically expect crime & other things to be more of a factor (and that would normally apply most anywhere). Now, you may be able to find something in a more rural area that is safer from a crime standpoint, but it will be less convenient.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,236 times
thanks. i should mention that i would also consider rural areas....hopefully within 15-20 minutes to greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>