Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,742,589 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a job in Spartanburg, SC. We are a family with three kids (one's in college), and the other children are 12 and 6. Our 6 year old is adopted and is of Hispanic ethnicity, so I'm hoping to find a school with some diversity.

I read the forums, and it looks like Greer, Lyman and Spartanburg (or Boiling Springs?) are all great places to live - someone said that Spartanburg can have quite a few bad neighborhoods (most larger towns do, I realize).

Any suggestions for a town with good schools? We are mostly quiet people, and a nightlife and state-of-the art shopping isn't necessarily what we're looking for - just good schools and reasonably safe neighborhoods would be great. We used to live in Beaufort, SC in the early 1980s and loved it - that town has grown so much, by the way!

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks. Your home is beautiful but it is out of my price range. Good luck with the sale - it is gorgeous.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Hoping to hear from others as well - would really appreciate any input. Trying to sort through info on the forum and I *think* these are good towns. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Location: South Mountains (Southern Burke County) Connelly Springs NC
45 posts, read 122,478 times
Know where your landfills are. There are 2 of them in Wellford which is adjacent to Lyman.

I lived in the Duncan-Lyman area and I liked it, Lyman is an old mill town that 10 years ago was kept up nicely, Startex (Close by) is an example of a Mill village that has not been was kept up. Again, I haven't been there in 10 years.

I always thought the downtown areas of Greer and Lyman (much smaller) had potential, Greer much more so, and I hear that they are developing it.

Sorry, I can't help you with the schools.......

Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks for your response, Dave; I appreciate it very much! I think we will probably look at Greer when I'm down there in May, then.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 AM

470 posts, read 597,489 times
May I suggest renting? We rented when we first moved here. I couldn't imagine coming down for a few visits and buying a home. Most places will allow a 6 month lease and in my opinion it takes at least that long to find out where you are, what's around and where you would like to live. After the 6 months we went month to month and ended up staying in the apartment for 9 months. At first I was very nervous about renting, I had lived in my own home for 25 years. But in the end I think it was a great decision.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,633,409 times
I want to emphasize what jbar stated above.

Don't move to the Upstate and immediately buy a home.

I've rented now in the Greenville area for nearly 3 years and it's the best decision I've made. The Upstate is incredibly spread out and diverse. Each nearby city/town/hamlet/subdivision can vary greatly. There is no way one can determine the best location (for your family) even after 6 months of renting. In fact, it's taken me several years just to determine the location of the best public schools.

Take your time, save your money (for a large down payment) - I guarantee there will be excellent home values years to come.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM

182 posts, read 352,483 times
Default East Side of Spartanburg

I've lived on the east side of Spartanburg for 19 years. Love it. Good neighborhoods and good schools. Others may have different opinions on this, but it fits my needs, and I know lots of well-educated professionals that live over here that also feel District 7 schools are pretty darn good and send there kids there as opposed to the private schools nearby.

I'd also agree that at least renting for 6 months to get a feel for an area is a great idea - there are usually several homes for rent in my neighborhood (Converse Heights).

Old 03-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. We will definitely be renting, as we have a home in Ohio to sell before buying a new one. Appreciate the tips! Thanks again for the info - we are very excited about this possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area