Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,938 times

Advertisements

Is it very humid in Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
Based upon what comparison?

The Southeastern USA is generally considered a humid climate, but specific places within the region can feel more or less humid than others thanks to the variation of topography and weather patterns.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 AM

506 posts, read 1,223,423 times
I will say, as someone who moved here from Orlando, that yes Greenville is pretty Humid. Last year the few times I checked during the summer time Greenville was actually more Humid than Orlando. I think normally Florida is a bit more humid but not by much.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,612,151 times
Here's my assessment based on living in the Upstate of SC for more than 6 years:

High humidity begins in earnest at the end of May and lasts thru mid-September. There have been years where sweltering humidity began in mid-May and other years not until mid-June.

Of course, this is typical Summer weather for most Southeastern cities. The exception being the high mountain towns of eastern TN, NE GA, and western NC.

Here's the good news: Greenville county has 3 very good water parks (opening May 19th this year). Additionally, Greenville has relatively easy access to the mountains of SC and NC. Our favorite Summer retreat is Caesar's Head State Park (SC). It sits at 3,200 feet and is about a 45 minute drive north of Greenville. It's normally about 10 degrees cooler than Greenville.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,297,240 times
It is humid here, especially in the summer. Just a bit cooler than Columbia and points south, though. That little bit of temperature difference to me makes Greenville bearable in the summer.

When it gets hot on the weekends we like to head up to the mountains and find a creek to cool off. Plenty of those around, even some nice ones with sliding rocks into cold pools of water.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 AM

10,120 posts, read 7,781,735 times
I've lived here over 10 years now. I moved from Charleston.

I never really realized just how humid Charleston was until I was here for awhile and went back down to visit. Now THAT is humidity.

It gets hot and humid here but not quite as bad as Charleston.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM

244 posts, read 644,313 times
YES it is very humid here from June - mid-September.

Unless you are moving from Florida or Houston, TX, you will find Gville unbearably humid.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,938 times
Thank you very much. We are looking to relocate and I love the area, just afraid I won't be able to breathe in the summer time.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 AM

186 posts, read 359,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
YES it is very humid here from June - mid-September.

Unless you are moving from Florida or Houston, TX, you will find Gville unbearably humid.
LOL! I moved here from Houston, where humidity is higher than scientifically possible. I saw a mackeral out of water but breathing just fine down by the Galleria.
Sure, like any southern town, Greenville has it's opressive humidity. The air is so thick in July that you won't be able to see the surrounding mountains, which are always visible in the winter. Two words: Air Conditioning.
But, hey, it's not Columbia, which is frequently said to be situated on an open vent from Hell.
Still, I'd put Washington D.C.'s humidity as more oppressive than Greenville. Talk about hanging on you like a cheap suit. Insert your own joke about all the hot air coming out of Capitol Hill....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area