Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,147,660 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone on here works for the school board but I had a question.

I understand that in order to graduate high school, you have to pass the exit exam. What does this consisit of?

If you are moving from another state that you've already passed the standardized testing, can you use that for the exit exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 AM

110 posts, read 457,069 times
Default exit exam

South Carolina does have an exit exam, HSAP. There are 2 sections, math and English/ Language Arts. It is first administered in the spring to 10th graders. If a student does not pass the first time, they have the opportunity to take it twice a year in 11th and 12th grade.
All SC students must pass this exam to obtain a high school diploma and tests from other states to not count.
The passage rate for HSAP is pretty high.

The math section tests on basic math, geometry, algebra, and some statistics. Language Arts has one day of reading comprehension and one day of writing to a writing prompt.

Last edited by happyfeet888; 06-18-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: add more information

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,863,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
South Carolina does have an exit exam, HSAP. There are 2 sections, math and English/ Language Arts. It is first administered in the spring to 10th graders. If a student does not pass the first time, they have the opportunity to take it twice a year in 11th and 12th grade.
All SC students must pass this exam to obtain a high school diploma and tests from other states to not count.
The passage rate for HSAP is pretty high.

The math section tests on basic math, geometry, algebra, and some statistics. Language Arts has one day of reading comprehension and one day of writing to a writing prompt.

everything above is exactly correct. and the state average is 78.6% when it comes to passing both sections on the first try.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 AM

In FL, we have the FCAT. It is very difficult. Many of the students have to take it repeat times. I've seen honors students who have to take it multiple times. If you don't pass it, you won't graduate.

I'd just hate to see my son go through that all over again because he's already passed both sections. Although, it seems most students pass it there, which is more comforting.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM

301 posts, read 805,904 times
I went to a private school, so I never took it, but most of my friends said it was a very easy exam that was at about an eighth grade level. If your son is a typical student, he should probably pass on his first try.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
I went to a private school, so I never took it, but most of my friends said it was a very easy exam that was at about an eighth grade level. If your son is a typical student, he should probably pass on his first try.
That's good to know. The FCAT is compared to the SAT from what I've heard.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,863,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That's good to know. The FCAT is compared to the SAT from what I've heard.

I'd be worried if a state assessment was associated with the dreaded SAT. many colleges even Ivy League schools have begun to drop the SAT from their admissions standards. Since the exam has proven time after time to be a VERY poor indicator of collegiate success schools have begun to shy away from it. Again I wouldn't toot too big horn if if the FCAT is compared to the SAT. I'd be worried in fact.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I'd be worried if a state assessment was associated with the dreaded SAT. many colleges even Ivy League schools have begun to drop the SAT from their admissions standards. Since the exam has proven time after time to be a VERY poor indicator of collegiate success schools have begun to shy away from it. Again I wouldn't toot too big horn if if the FCAT is compared to the SAT. I'd be worried in fact.
The kids dread it. They get very stressed out when it is time to take it. To me, that type of testing is not a good indicator of a students ability and shouldn't be used against them.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,680,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The kids dread it. They get very stressed out when it is time to take it. To me, that type of testing is not a good indicator of a students ability and shouldn't be used against them.
Mine don't get stressed, but they certainly don't like them. It's not so much that they are worried about the test, but just that the schools have so much pressure on them to pass that they waste a lot of time dealing with the FCAT.

I don't know that they are really that hard of tests, it's just that the schools funding is tied to FCAT scores, so there is a lot of coaching, pre test, cramming, etc involved. I think that the schools create a false sense of over importance to them.

I remember when I was a kid we didn't even know when the standardized testing was going to happen, you just showed up one day and it was test day.

The only year that the FCAT matters for graduation is the 10th grade reading and math test.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Mine don't get stressed, but they certainly don't like them. It's not so much that they are worried about the test, but just that the schools have so much pressure on them to pass that they waste a lot of time dealing with the FCAT.

I don't know that they are really that hard of tests, it's just that the schools funding is tied to FCAT scores, so there is a lot of coaching, pre test, cramming, etc involved. I think that the schools create a false sense of over importance to them.

I remember when I was a kid we didn't even know when the standardized testing was going to happen, you just showed up one day and it was test day.

The only year that the FCAT matters for graduation is the 10th grade reading and math test.
It's the hardest in 10th grade. They are now requiring Science and History. It's a shame how much pressure they put on these kids. I think it's fine to test the kids but don't hold it against them as far as graduating. I know ppl who still don't have a high school diploma b/c they can't pass the FCAT. Some ppl just don't test well on paper or get test anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area