Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,425 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Ok, besides the obvious (that being that Greenville is larger ) what do you see as the differences between the two? Is one area more accepting of outsiders than another? Is Spartanburg as walkable as Greenville? The schools look farely comparable. What about neighborhoods? Are there in town neighborhoods with lots of character like what Greenville has? Is there transit between the two cities?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Yours truly,

Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM

411 posts, read 853,262 times
Well I was born and raised in Spartanburg. Which might account for the fact that I hate it. Sadly, my family is still there, so that's why I've got to keep coming back. It sounds like you might be a lot like me in terms of the availability of things to do, walkability, etc. And with that in mind, I would whole hearted recommend Greenville.

My biggest beef with Spartanburg is the leadership, or rather the lack of progressive leadership. No one seems to have any vision and they pat themselves on the back whenever they do manage to get something done. Only whatever they accomplished was done by Greenville 10+ years ago. The cultural scene is so so. They have multi-million dollar cultural arts facility downtown (that you really can't walk to, btw) but I'm more of a free cultural event type of gal, so that doesn't much appeal to me. They have Music on Main, which is a free music series on Thursday nights in the spring and summer. They also have Jazz on the Square on Friday nights in the spring.

Spartanburg is slightly more conservative than Greenville, IMHO. It's definitely not more walkable. I'm not sure if they know the meaning of urban planning, so you'll definitely be in the car a lot. The downtown is pretty sad if you compare it to Greenville's. They have a handful of decent restaurants there, but it lacks the vibrancy and life that Downtown Greenville has.

The only thing I can say is that the historic neighborhoods are more affordable in Spartanburg, if that's your thing. The old money lives in Converse Heights, along with the newer monied folks who are trying to get into the "in" crowd. Also the Converse College professors live there too. The up-and-coming artist types, progressive college professors, etc. live in Hampton Heights, which is within walking distance to downtown Spartanburg. The neighborhood also has a top notch charter school, as well as a private Montessori school. You will not want to go with traditional public schools if you were to choose that neighborhood. It's District 7 which is a decent district, you just have to watch which school your kids would feed into. For example, if you settled in Converse Heights, you kids would feed into Pine Street School which is an excellent elementary school. District 6 is also good, but to feed into those schools would require living out of the downtown area. I personally am a alum of District 3. It's a decent district too, but it will require living in the "country."

I personally think that Greenville has a better choice of public charter schools. The schools aren't bad in Spartanburg, but they aren't inspiring either. The curriculum is just the standard fare.

As far as I know, there is not a transit connection between the two cities.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. As for me and my husband, we're hoping to settle in Greenville sometime in the very near future.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:33 PM

344 posts, read 816,150 times
After growing up in Greenville, then living in FL and DC in my 20s for a few years, my husband and I moved back to Greenville. Then we moved to Spartanburg for 2 years so my husband could be closer to work in Charlotte. I can't tell you how much I couldn't stand living there. I don't have time to list all my reasons right now, but I can tell you that our family was so unhappy that we moved back to Greenville this past January. Greenville is better, hands down.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Do a search of this forum - there was a similar thread not too long ago. Should also provide answers to many of your questions!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
As far as I know, there is not a transit connection between the two cities.
Everyone is invited to attend a meeting regarding transportation along I-85 (between Greenville and Spartanburg) on April 28. The meeting will happen at the Michelin HQ and feedback is encouraged.

SCDOT - Inside SCDOT - Press Releases Public Invited to Review Results of SCDOT I-85 Corridor Study

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the great responses! I had a feeling that Spartanburg wasn't what my family would like, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts from those who have personally lived in the area.

Greenville seems almost too good to be true

After all my online research, the pictures I found on here of Greenville done by Skyliner and some others, and all the many threads about Greenville, I have almost certainly decided that Greenville is perfect for our family.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Thanks for the great responses! I had a feeling that Spartanburg wasn't what my family would like, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts from those who have personally lived in the area.

After all my online research, the pictures I found on here of Greenville done by Skyliner and some others, and all the many threads about Greenville, I have almost certainly decided that Greenville is perfect for our family.
While it's true there's a fairly big difference between Greenville & Spartanburg, I'd say that if this metro continues to develop as it has for the 11 years I've been here, it will be its own great place in the not too distant future! It already has may great qualities (better real estate pricing on beautiful older neighborhoods, more higher education located within the city limits, very good medical facilities vs Greenville). Future metro growth and its proximity to GSP and the BMW automotive epicenter will ensure Sparkle City (or the Hub City for those who don't like Sparkle City) only gets better.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times
Quote:

OP in either case whether it is Spartanburg or Greenville remember one thing....you are thinking of moving to SC....it is a car dependent state. Greenville has Greenlink bus service but it needs a lot of improvement....currently it does not take passengers everywhere around Greenville nor does it connect (eventhough it should) Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville or Greer.

Living downtown Greenville will be convenient for the activities (restaurants & shops) there.....but because of sprawl whenever you want to go to places like Woodruff road for shopping options like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot etc. you will have to drive. Overall as already stated if the choice is between Greenville or Spartanburg....hands down the clear choice is Greenville. Spartanburg IMO is way more rural than Greenville.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Hmmm....I didn't realize there wasn't transit to places like Trader Joes and Whole Foods...big bummer! Where I live now, I have access to organic, local food within walking distance. As far as big box stores, I have access to those with transit. You may have guessed I don't own a car. My husband has a car for work, but I just have never seen the benefit to owning one and I have to admit, I *hate* cars! I could buy a car for living in Greenville, but I rather not. I suppose I would save trips to whole foods for the weekend.

Too bad Greenville doesn't have a food coop. We have an awesome food coop where I am now.

If it weren't for the people in this town where I currently live and the fact that it is really really ugly...lol....it would be almost perfect.

I guess you just can't have everything perfect I prefer to live near friendly, considerate people and a beautiful area and I am willing to make other sacrifices for this.

Thanks again for all the responses! You are a wonderful help!

Yours truly,
Kris

Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Quote:
Hmmm....I didn't realize there wasn't transit to places like Trader Joes and Whole Foods...big bummer! Where I live now, I have access to organic, local food within walking distance. As far as big box stores, I have access to those with transit. You may have guessed I don't own a car. My husband has a car for work, but I just have never seen the benefit to owning one and I have to admit, I *hate* cars! I could buy a car for living in Greenville, but I rather not. I suppose I would save trips to whole foods for the weekend.

Yours truly,
Kris
Whole Foods and Trader Joes are served by Greenlink. Either route #8 or the new ICAR shuttle (which is free by the way). Additionally, you have Fresh Market and Garners, both even closer to downtown that are served by Greenlink. Of course you have a great number of intown urban farms popping up, as well as multiple farmers markets....all either walkable, bikeable or easily reach by Greenlink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area