Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 PM

32 posts, read 51,824 times

Advertisements

Hi all - thank you in advance for any replies - my husband and I (along with our 3 y/o) are looking to relocate - Greenville/Spartanburg "area" being one of our picks - I am sorry if this is more detail than needed but I figure the more info I can share the better...

1. Budget --> looking to rent for first 6months-year around $1,000+

2. House/Condo/Townhome? --> detached "something" preferred

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) --> I am a nurse my husband will be an entry level accountant

4. Children(public school vs. private) --> either or - as long as they are safe and serve their purpose

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two --> Suburban

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? --> Nope

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. --> Middle-upper class, safe

* late 20's early 30's professionals with an expanding family
* Within 25 minutes of a decent sized hospital - any names would be great
*45 minutes (or so) to major airport
*Good library within 10 minutes or so
*Farmers market within town
*Parks, parks and more parks
*Walk able downtown that isn't a ghost town - even if it is only a few blocks long/wide - as long as it has some "life"/"charm"/history
*depending on job markets we will probably be looking to spend around 200K when we purchase a home - in a "perfect world" it would be 1+ acres very, very close to a small/medium downtown area within close distance to amenities (grocery store, target [I know!] etc
*We are pretty laid back individuals that enjoy being outdoors and being able to walk around our small downtown with a variety of local restaurants, park etc - our zip code consists of approximately 70,000 people while our "downtown" has about 7,200

Thank you so very much for any and all suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin's Mommy View Post
Hi all - thank you in advance for any replies - my husband and I (along with our 3 y/o) are looking to relocate - Greenville/Spartanburg "area" being one of our picks - I am sorry if this is more detail than needed but I figure the more info I can share the better...

1. Budget --> looking to rent for first 6months-year around $1,000+

2. House/Condo/Townhome? --> detached "something" preferred

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) --> I am a nurse my husband will be an entry level accountant

4. Children(public school vs. private) --> either or - as long as they are safe and serve their purpose

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two --> Suburban

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? --> Nope

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. --> Middle-upper class, safe

* late 20's early 30's professionals with an expanding family
* Within 25 minutes of a decent sized hospital - any names would be great
*45 minutes (or so) to major airport
*Good library within 10 minutes or so
*Farmers market within town
*Parks, parks and more parks
*Walk able downtown that isn't a ghost town - even if it is only a few blocks long/wide - as long as it has some "life"/"charm"/history
*depending on job markets we will probably be looking to spend around 200K when we purchase a home - in a "perfect world" it would be 1+ acres very, very close to a small/medium downtown area within close distance to amenities (grocery store, target [I know!] etc
*We are pretty laid back individuals that enjoy being outdoors and being able to walk around our small downtown with a variety of local restaurants, park etc - our zip code consists of approximately 70,000 people while our "downtown" has about 7,200

Thank you so very much for any and all suggestions
Welcome! It seems the Eastside meets most of your numbered requirements except possibly #1, and even then, you may find an apartment in that price range. The Eastside is an overall affluent area with lovely neighborhoods and access to good schools; it covers a wide arc from near Greer & Taylors down & around to near Simpsonville. GHS's Patewood Memorial Hospital and St. Francis-Eastside are conveniently located.

The Mauldin & Simpsonville ("Golden Strip") areas are another choice - wide variety of demographics and residential properties, close to necessities and the Hillcrest Memorial Hospital of the GHS system is in Simpsonville. Mauldin schools seem to have good reputations, and you're close to I-385 for a straight shot into town.

No part of Greenville or Spartanburg is more than 45 mins from GSP airport. GSP is served by most (if not all) of the major "legacy" airlines, and we now have 3 low-cost carriers, including Southwest.

Aside from Greenville's storied downtown, Greer and Simpsonville (and Easley to a degree) are the main 'burbs that have something of their own downtown areas. Greer & Simpsonville especially have a sprinkling of restaurants & pubs and are attractive enough. Greenville itself has a wonderful urban linked parks system from Cleveland Park to Falls Park to Linky Stone children's park. These parks are connected to the 13-mile (and growing) Swamp Rabbit walking/running/cycling trail that connects downtown Greenville to Travelers Rest to the north & Lake Conestee to the South (and is ultimately planned as a county line-to-county line system).

Greenville has a full-time farmers market on Rutherford Rd, but it's not in downtown. There is also the Saturday Market on Saturday mornings from May thru October in downtown Greenville - it's like a pop-up farmers market with more of a street fair feel to it. I'm sure others do too, but the only 'burb I know of for sure with its own farmers market is Fountain Inn, just south of Simpsonville.

This is just a high-level view of some areas that came to my mind. There are others here with more detailed knowledge of schools and housing prices who will no doubt chime in here. Good luck!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 04-20-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
UpstateBooster provides excellent advice as always!

Just reading what you write and getting an idea for the type of area you are looking for, I'd suggest the Eastside/Greer/Taylors areas. As mentioned you've got a lot of medical and two hospitals right there at Pelham Rd and Haywood Rd plus the new hospital in Greer. Riverside and Eastside Highs and some of their feeder schools are very well-regarded. You've got plenty of upper-middle class subdivisions with families around that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area