Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 AM

142 posts, read 477,642 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are interested in learning a little more about Greenville and was hoping so me of you might be able to help us out.

(1) We are dog owners and were wondering about everything dog related in the area - Are there good dog friendly parks or lakes or hiking trails? Good veterinarians and boarding? Humane trainers? Are dog sports/shows popular? Is six foot fencing allowed in most communities? How are the fleas and ticks in Greenville? Are there dog limits in many areas or communities?

(2) As far as nature, we love to hike - are there a lot of poisonous snakes in the outlying natural areas? Other critters, issues that are a problem? How are the mosquitoes and other biting insects?

(3) On City Data and other sites, the crime rates seem pretty high in Greenville. Is there a really bad crime problem, or is that just certain areas? What about the surrounding communities?

(4) Are martial arts popular in the city and are there any real good instructors?

I know I have lots of questions, but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,465,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDMORESPACE2 View Post
Hi. My husband and I are interested in learning a little more about Greenville and was hoping so me of you might be able to help us out.

(1) We are dog owners and was wondering about everything dog in the area - Are there good dog friendly parks and or lakes and or hiking trails? Good veterinarians and boarding? Humane trainers? Are dog sports/shows popular? Is six foot fencing allowed in most communities? How are the fleas and ticks in Greenville? Are there dog limits in many areas or communities? I would say 6-foot fencing is allowed in most neighborhoods, and seems to be the norm, really. I only know of 1 annual regional dog show, but there may be more.

(2) As far as nature, we love to hike - are there a lot of poisonous snakes in the outlying natural areas? Other critters, issues that are a problem?

(3) On City Data and other sites, the crime rates seem pretty high in Greenville. Is there a really bad crime problem, or is that just certain areas? What about the surrounding communities?

(4) Are martial arts popular in the city and are there any real good instructors?

I know I have lots of questions, but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
I can give you a high-level (not too detailed) view on these subjects. I know others with more experience in each area will also chime in:

1) Greenville (and the 'burbs to a lesser extent) is a VERY dog-friendly city overall. There is currently a dog park in Cleveland Park, and the new home of the Greenville Humane Society will also have one (along with a "dog bar"). You'll see people walking dogs in most any public space. Some downtown merchants put out water bowls for patrons' dogs. There are many good vets in the area. We use Dr. McPhail in Mauldin and they've taken good care of our fur babies. We personally know a trainer at the Petsmart at Greenridge named Judy - great person!

2) I don't know much about which snakes are found in this area, but the area has many walking/hiking/cycling trails in the park system. Paris Mountain State Park is adjacent to the city with all kinds of trails as well. I believe pets are welcome there. We heard a good bit about wolves in the more rural areas a couple years ago, but nothing else critter-wise comes immediately to mind.

3) I would say the crime stats for Greenville are easy to skew. It results from certain areas bringing a city with a very small footprint "down" statistically. We moved here from Alabama & Mississippi 10 years ago, and have never, ever felt uncomfortable or had any car breakins or anything.

4) The only thing I know about martial arts here is that I've seen several schools around the area, so that seems well-represented here. Our across the street neighbor is Thai and used to teach.

Hope this helps - Google really can be a powerful tool, so play around and use that. But like I said, there are lots of folks on this forum who are knowledgeable in many different areas. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM

UpstateBooster - Thank you so much for your helpful responses. I've been googling everything too, but this forum seems to be a wealth of information as well, and I'm hopeful that others will chime in.

:-)

Thanks again!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 30,105 times
I can speak to the dog and crime issues. I live downtown - walking distance from the beautiful Falls Park. Many people have dogs here and seem to enjoy walking together with their dogs and meeting other "dog" folks.
The only crime I and neighbors have experienced is theft of GPS, ipods, money and such from cars which we failed to lock overnight. I have lived here five years and feel competely safe to walk anywhere. I know of no house break-ins nor violent crime in my neighborhood. The city police are excellent and will appear within two minutes of a suspicious person call.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiZENlynn View Post
I can speak to the dog and crime issues. I live downtown - walking distance from the beautiful Falls Park. Many people have dogs here and seem to enjoy walking together with their dogs and meeting other "dog" folks.
The only crime I and neighbors have experienced is theft of GPS, ipods, money and such from cars which we failed to lock overnight. I have lived here five years and feel competely safe to walk anywhere. I know of no house break-ins nor violent crime in my neighborhood. The city police are excellent and will appear within two minutes of a suspicious person call.
Thanks for this info.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM

506 posts, read 1,212,880 times
I'll just chime in that I have 2 bigger dogs (boxers) that spend a significant amount of time outside (5-6 hours a day, depending on whether less or more). We don't give them flea medicine at all and they have never had flea issues at all.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM

347 posts, read 974,621 times
From what you've said it sounds like Greenville may be the perfect place for you!

There are lots of "dog people", easy to meet them at training classes (which there are plenty of). There are also dog walking groups, and the whole downtown area and surrounding parks allow dogs, which is very very cool. There's even a "Six Wags of Greer", which I have yet to go to but seems really neat.

There's lots of hiking with the mountains all around, and I'm sure there are wooded areas to hike as well.

Coming from West Palm Beach, FL, named one of the "top 10 most dangerous cities in the country", crime doesn't seem like too much of an issue here (relatively). I've had my stereo stolen while my car was parked in my driveway, and I live in a comfortable suburb neighborhood, but that kinda thing happens everywhere. Overall I feel safe here. I feel like my son is far safer here than other cities.

Also, there's lots of karate schools, with a few different styles to choose from. I'm a black belt in Tang-Soo-Do, and my husband got his black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do here in Greenville.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM

477 posts, read 833,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDMORESPACE2 View Post
Upstate Karate in Simpsonville.
Stephen Thompson is a 5x Amateur Kickboxing World Champion and just turned pro as a MMA fighter. His dad was member of the U.S. Kickboxing team and holds several black belts. I recommend to check them out.

Upstate karate
129 North Main Street
Simpsonville, SC 29681
(864) 967-3930

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the replies and the martial arts referral!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,438,502 times
I just wanted to let you know that the only dog park in greeville really isn't made for big dogs which may or may not be a problem for you. Its pretty small and the fence is low. I guess it depends where you are coming from and it may seem like the grandaddy of all dog parks, but I got spoiled by my previous city's dog park system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area