Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster1 View Post
Ahhh, that would be the ones who voted against this...
The majority of both parties voted against it. It may actually be more of the same old fighting between the coast/upstate/central representatives than party distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
So you guys think it's perfectly fine to give these huge tax breaks to Boeing and BMW but not Amazon? Name one company the size of Amazon that doesn't look for free land and incentives. Heck, the City of Greenville is paying for Proterra's lease in their current building even.
You are absolutely right g-man. I hope they come to Augusta. Seeing as how we are handing out money to Costco and Bass Pro, absorbing the cost to bring Amazon here would be nothing.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Although the initial deal was for Amazon to invest in the Midlands, it appears they are open to talking Upstate development.

Carlson to Tallon: "When you talked to the vice president--did he make is sound like after Lexington--there could be more expansion?"

Tallon: "He did."

"I mentioned Spartanburg. We're in a good position--85 and 26--he concurred and said--thats a great area," said Tallon.

A great idea doesn't mean it's a plan--but good news none the less--as Amazon's work centers mean mega jobs wherever they locate.

Source: Exclusive: Amazon Still Eager To Do Business With South Carolina | WSPA

Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Fantastic! Maybe we can lure them to the business part of the state, where they probably should have tried to locate from the start.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Fantastic! Maybe we can lure them to the business part of the state, where they probably should have tried to locate from the start.
Exactly. Midlands people would hate us even more then.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Midlands people don't hate the Upstate. It's the other way around for some reason. The way I read the article, the Spartanburg deal would be additional to ("after") the Lexington County site is up and running. With the Upstate possibly getting a distribution center as well, it should pass this time. "Did (the vice-president) make it sound like after Lexington - there could be more expansion?" That would be great.

Tallon voted yes the first time. It sounds like he's trying to persuade some other Upstate reps to do the same with the Spartanburg expansion carrot.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-13-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Why? Is this the part of the state that trails all cities on I85 (and a lot in SC) in almost every economic metric? Since the upstate has had a hard time leading, maybe companies should look elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Exactly. Midlands people would hate us even more then.
Why would midlands people hate Greenville? It's no like you are an economic leader, you can't even seem to get large projects built downtown without using creative financing methods, some government assisted. Columbia has built three towers in the 19 story range recently and I did not see anyone from Columbia posting messages like yours. Besides, I see a lot more people from Greenville on Columbia boards bashing the city for silly things like cracked sidewalks or creating threads using a death to try and make Columbia look bad. Seems as though you all have a hatred towards Columbia which is not reciprocated.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
...Besides, I see a lot more people from Greenville on Columbia boards bashing the city for silly things like cracked sidewalks or creating threads using a death to try and make Columbia look bad. Seems as though you all have a hatred towards Columbia which is not reciprocated.
Who (or at least how many) do you see on the Columbia boards bashing the city? I'm interested in real names and/or a real number to validate your claim that "a lot" of people from Greenville are preoccupied with bashing Columbia. The rivalry (not necessarily "hatred") between some people residing in these two SC cities is definitely reciprocal.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Why? Is this the part of the state that trails all cities on I85 (and a lot in SC) in almost every economic metric? Since the upstate has had a hard time leading, maybe companies should look elsewhere.
Please cite sources (I'd really like to know). Wondering why, if that's the case, this area is tops in list after list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area