U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM

11,058 posts, read 21,971,884 times

Advertisements

It is now being reported by WYFF that Amazon was not only planning to build a distribution center in Lexington County that would have employed 1,000+ people but also in Spartanburg County too. Well, I hope you guys who were against this tax break are happy now. More people on welfare which will equal higher taxes and deficit in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,724,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It is now being reported by WYFF that Amazon was not only planning to build a distribution center in Lexington County that would have employed 1,000+ people but also in Spartanburg County too. Well, I hope you guys who were against this tax break are happy now. More people on welfare which will equal higher taxes and deficit in the future.
Oh PUH-lease. And you believe these Amazon *******s? They were also planning to build in Chattanooga and Iowa and PA and here and there and everywhere. Read up on them. Seems Amazon is playing state against state....looking for the free land, tax breaks, on and on. Funny they would not have announced this second distro center before. Suddenly, after the sales tax issue was voted on, THEN suddenly they were going to build multiple DC's in SC. Yep. Right. Sure.
Players....plain and simple.

And for all the moaning about losing Amazon, has anyone looked at all the incentives they WERE getting? Free land, no property tax, federal tax credits for every employee hired, on and on......at some point, the freebies have to stop. Amazon is a private corporation, not a government entity.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,452,692 times
I'm all for reasonable tax abatements or other incentives to attract the right kinds of businesses, but it seems they had a deal all signed & sealed, then started asking for more. Shame on you, Amazon.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 PM

257 posts, read 280,371 times
It appears they had a verbal agreement with Sanford but for some reason the sales tax exemption wasn't part of the official incentives package. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem like they were asking for more than they were originally promised.

As far as Amazon planning to also build in the Upstate, I wonder if that was really the case or if it's just saying that to see if the House will change its mind. Seems a little suspect to mention this now instead of from the start.

Last edited by Palmetto_Guy; 04-28-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,452,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
As far as Amazon planning to also build in the Upstate, I wonder if that was really the case or if it's just saying that to see if the House will change its mind. Seems a little suspect to mention this now instead of from the start.
Exactly.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM

506 posts, read 1,100,165 times
I would rather amazon not be in SC at all than be here without a tax break on their customers, since I don't want to pay taxes on my amazon purchases (I buy almost everything through amazon), regardless of how selfish that may be :P

Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM

5,235 posts, read 8,074,001 times
Just because internet retailers aren't required to take out taxes on purchases out of state does not mean you aren't supposed to pay taxes on those purchases. There's even a line on your SC tax return to fill in.
use tax due on out-of-state, internet and catalog purchases

Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 PM

11,058 posts, read 21,971,884 times
So you guys think it's perfectly fine to give these huge tax breaks to Boeing and BMW but not Amazon? Name one company the size of Amazon that doesn't look for free land and incentives. Heck, the City of Greenville is paying for Proterra's lease in their current building even.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 PM

17,367 posts, read 10,819,107 times
Quote:
So you guys think it's perfectly fine to give these huge tax breaks to Boeing and BMW but not Amazon? Name one company the size of Amazon that doesn't look for free land and incentives. Heck, the City of Greenville is paying for Proterra's lease in their current building even.

I agree that seems par of the course when trying to get said business into your town or state.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,724,732 times
Quote:
g-man....Amazon DID get tax breaks and incentives. The same type as Boeing or BMW. In addition, because Amazon is a RETAILER, they want to be exempt from SALES TAX. An entirely different animal. BMW and Boeing are manufacturers....not retailers.

And for the record, BMW and Boeing create tons of spin-off high tech industry and suppliers. Amazon creates additional packages for UPS or Fed Ex and that is about it.....other than the fact all the trucks servicing a distro center put major wear and tear on the roads and highways. Come to think of it, maybe Amazon should pay SC for use of the roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area