Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

From Slow Food Upstate:
Quote:
Our OFFICIAL Recognition as an Earth Market by the Slow Food International Foundation of Biodiversity will take place on JULY 21, with Earth Markets Head, Gigi Frassanito. This will continue to make Greenville Greener, and we hope you will celebrate with us.
Greenville's Earth Market will become the first of its kind in the United States to receive the official designation. Only 19 Earth Markets currently exist worldwide. They are located in Italy, Austria, Isreal, Latvia, Lebanon, Spain, and Romania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
From Slow Food Upstate:

Greenville's Earth Market will become the first of its kind in the United States to receive the official designation. Only 19 Earth Markets currently exist worldwide. They are located in Italy, Austria, Isreal, Latvia, Lebanon, Spain, and Romania.
Very nice!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Columbia's 701 Farmer's Market is similar. It sells only locally grown produce and was started in 2009 at at City Roots. Lots of restaurants around town buy and prepare only local produce. South Carolinians should want to be green because the state's rich agrarian history.

701 Whaley: All Local Farmers' Market at 711 Whaley

City Roots held its second annual tomato festival yesterday.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/07/18/1901895/a-fun-tasty-tomato-festival-at.html (broken link)

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Columbia's 701 Farmer's Market is similar. It sells only locally grown produce and was started in 2009 at at City Roots. Lots of restaurants around town buy and prepare only local produce. South Carolinians should want to be green because the state's rich agrarian history.

701 Whaley: All Local Farmers' Market at 711 Whaley

City Roots held its second annual tomato festival yesterday.

A fun Tasty Tomato Festival at City Roots - Life & Style - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/07/18/1901895/a-fun-tasty-tomato-festival-at.html - broken link)
That's nice & all, but.... What does that have to do with Greenville's attaining this status?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
From Slow Food Upstate:

Wow. Impressive.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I don't really understand why it's impressive that Greenville is getting the first "Earth Market" in the U.S. There are already places in the U.S. that have well established and impressive local organic markets. Asheville is one with their "Foodtopian" and "Slow Food" organizations.

They have multiple farmers markets selling local organic produce and 250 independent restaurants, tons of which are farm-to-table. The restaurants there have been working for years to create a farmer/restaurant network.

What is Foodtopia? | Foodtopian Society

Foodtopian Society | Foodtopian Society

Slow Food Asheville

The real news is that Greenville will finally have something of substance in the local food/organic food area. I have always wondered why an area like Greenville with lots of good land on the outskirts and a healthy population would be so slow to embrace the local food/organic food trend.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't really understand why it's impressive that Greenville is getting the first "Earth Market" in the U.S. There are already places in the U.S. that have well established and impressive local organic markets. Asheville is one with their "Foodtopian" and "Slow Food" organizations.

They have multiple farmers markets selling local organic produce and 250 independent restaurants, tons of which are farm-to-table. The restaurants there have been working for years to create a farmer/restaurant network.

What is Foodtopia? | Foodtopian Society

Foodtopian Society | Foodtopian Society

Slow Food Asheville

The real news is that Greenville will finally have something of substance in the local food/organic food area. I have always wondered why an area like Greenville with lots of good land on the outskirts and a healthy population would be so slow to embrace the local food/organic food trend.
Perhaps you didn't read the previous posts fully. Greenville embraced the slow foods movement years ago as well. Greenville has numerous farm to table restaurants, a growing number of local organic farms, etc, etc. What is "impressive" is the fact that this is "Earth Markets". If you know about Earth Markets, you understand why.

Earth Markets - not just another market

http://www.slowfoodupstate.com/

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Perhaps you didn't read the previous posts fully. Greenville embraced the slow foods movement years ago as well. Greenville has numerous farm to table restaurants, a growing number of local organic farms, etc, etc. What is "impressive" is the fact that this is "Earth Markets". If you know about Earth Markets, you understand why.

Earth Markets - not just another market

Home - Slow Food Upstate
What are these numerous farm-to-table restaurants? I asked that on a different thread awhile back and only got American Grocery as an answer. I can't afford to eat at that restaurant very often.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That's nice & all, but.... What does that have to do with Greenville's attaining this status?
I was thinking this thread was in the SC forum when I posted in it. I think I made that mistake because I had just read a thread about SC's green economy in the SC forum that talked only about Greenville's role in it. My apologies. That said, any city that bombards its populace on Saturday morning with local produce all over town at community-based farmer's markets because of the slow food movement, should have caught the attention of Earth Markets by now, and I will have to say that the multitude of community farmer's markets has been present in Columbia for at least five years if not nearly 10. But congratulations, Greenville.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
What are these numerous farm-to-table restaurants? I asked that on a different thread awhile back and only got American Grocery as an answer. I can't afford to eat at that restaurant very often.
Would love to know the answer to this myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area