U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM

251 posts, read 899,991 times

Advertisements

The upcoming Republican debate is getting a lot of publicity, especially on Fox, but I don't know if it will really much of an economic impact on the area. As a relative newbie here, what are some of the biggest events in the area ? I did live here for a few years when I was in high school and I remember a big hot air balloon festival, but I heard that is no longer held. Are there any other events of that scale in the area ?

Last edited by witton; 05-04-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 PM

251 posts, read 899,991 times
Sorry if I was unclear I'm looking for any large events that still current happen in the area, and also any historic large events sports, political or anything else that may have had a significant economic effect.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM

5,499 posts, read 14,771,813 times
Fall For Greenville is very large (approx. 200,000 over the weekend)

The AT&T 'Red, White & Blue' festival is definitely well attended.

Other notable large events include (probably missing a few) the USA Cycling Professional Championships, Artisphere, the Greater Greenville Scottish Games & Highland Festival, and Freedom Weekend Aloft (Simpsonville).

Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM

5,236 posts, read 8,453,704 times
In October 1959, the South Carolina chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People held its annual meeting in Greenville. Jackie Robinson, the famed baseball player, was their invited banquet speaker. He was not allowed to enter the whites-only airport waiting room.

In protest, between 900-1000 people staged a New Year's Day 1960 march from Springfield Baptist Church to the downtown municipal airport.

Fifty years later, remembering Greenville's civil rights activists - News (http://media.www.thefurmanpaladin.com/media/storage/paper1002/news/2010/01/29/News/Fifty.Years.Later.Remembering.Greenvilles.Civil.Ri ghts.Activists-3860163.shtml - broken link)

It was in 1960 — as the civil rights movement was heating up with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. as its inspirational leader — that a group of black Greenville teenagers took their places on stools at the lunch counter of the [Woolworth] store on East Washington and North Main streets.

They demanded equal treatment. They were met with resistance.

Participants say Woolworth sit-in won't be forgotten | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area