Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM

52 posts, read 113,485 times

Advertisements

Does Greenville see four seasons? Long summers? Leaves changing in the fall and snow in the winter? If you get snow, is it often and a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post
Does Greenville see four seasons? Long summers? Leaves changing in the fall and snow in the winter? If you get snow, is it often and a lot?
Yes, Greenville has four seasons but it is still South Carolina so you'll see short, mild winters.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Yes..... But I was beginning to wonder when spring was going to get here for a while there! Seems we currently have a little taste of summer right now, but until July or so, it can fluxuate. Fall is really pretty in this whole region, and we tend to get 2-6 inches of snow and/or ice most years. Spring is beautiful here and seems to go on forever with a chain reaction of new plants blooming/budding for months on end.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Are your summers long and hot and humid? Also, is ice a big problem?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Usually, the real heat hits about late June and by the 2nd week in Sept, it begins to moderate again. We normally don't go past the mid-90s, but there are occasional heat waves everywhere during the summer, even here . Humidity is a relative term. I grew up on the Gulf Coast, so I say the humidity here is next to nothing (except when the weather patterns bring moist Gulf air up this way).

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Being born and raised in SOFLA, and just moving up here, I can say we've had a few hot days recently, but while yes, it's hot, the humidity isn't as bad as in SOFLA. Then again, it's been hotter here than in SOFLA - we've NEVER gotten over a hundred degrees in SOFLA in the (almost) 50yrs I've lived there, while here I've seen it having a high of over 100 here.

LOL! When I got up here one time, got out of my car, and just about slid on the ice, not realizing I would slide as I did, actually not even realizing the area was icey - that takes some getting use to. Now that DH is here, I'm just waiting for the day he has to leave for work at 4am and not know that there's ice along the walk, and finding he's doing a slip and slide without having a SlipnSlide! Should be interesting to see how his first winter goes once it arrives! Could make for some good Youtube videos

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Being born and raised in SOFLA, and just moving up here, I can say we've had a few hot days recently, but while yes, it's hot, the humidity isn't as bad as in SOFLA. Then again, it's been hotter here than in SOFLA - we've NEVER gotten over a hundred degrees in SOFLA in the (almost) 50yrs I've lived there, while here I've seen it having a high of over 100 here.

LOL! When I got up here one time, got out of my car, and just about slid on the ice, not realizing I would slide as I did, actually not even realizing the area was icey - that takes some getting use to. Now that DH is here, I'm just waiting for the day he has to leave for work at 4am and not know that there's ice along the walk, and finding he's doing a slip and slide without having a SlipnSlide! Should be interesting to see how his first winter goes once it arrives! Could make for some good Youtube videos

Oy! Lol, that's terrible but I bet pretty funny afterwords ( if you arent hurt too bad!)

We're from FL too.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Are your summers long and hot and humid? Also, is ice a big problem?

The summers here in Columbia are terrible but that's typical of the South in general. My room mates Gf moved in the us & shes from Mich. She is already complaining that it is too hot & we're still in May. So far it's been very mild but the heat is a coming!! I have yet to move to Greenville The very times I have been in Greenville the weather has been much cooler then here in Columbia. Even at night the heat cooled down enough to wear a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. That was a couple weeks back though.

Last edited by reed067; 05-25-2011 at 05:23 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Oy! Lol, that's terrible but I bet pretty funny afterwords ( if you arent hurt too bad!)

We're from FL too.
Yes, that was funny since I wasn't hurt, NOW, going down the steps at my parents place in Hendersonville, THAT wasn't funny as I felt myself going down. Actually, my lawn mower story is much funnier...at least it is now, at the time....

It's probably easy to tell the new Floridian transplants up here during winter, especially ones like me who had never seen snow, standing in front of their front doors, watching it snow while eating a bag of popcorn, like I was watching a movie, then realizing it was REALLY SNOWING and grabbing my camera and playing like I was the paparazzi!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
This topic has been discussed numerous times in this sub-forum. Please search.

General weather patterns for the Upstate of SC:

Spring - somewhat long - begins in mid-March and will last thru May/early June - fluctuating temps with bouts of cooler and warmer temps - generally, very pleasant - currently, it's hot - the average high this time of year is only 80 degrees

Summer - mid June thru early September - expect hot and humid temps with occasional thundershowers (on average low 90's for highs, upper 60's to around 70 at night) - late in the Summer, there may be a remnant of a hurricane which usually brings much needed rain and cooler temps (the exception being 2004)

Fall - best time of the year, humidity falls rapidly in mid September - temps cool - beautiful colors peak just before Halloween - Fall is probably the longest season

Winter - variable weather - usually quite a benign time of year with high temps in the 40's-50's+ (not unusual to see 60's). Yes, it does snow here every year and this area is prone to ice (due to CAD/Wedge). We usually see 1-3 snow/ice events per year - Greenville averages 6.3 inches of snow per year (per NWS)

I used to be one to despise summer temps/humidity in the South. Now, I've embraced it. It's a chance for my family to get out to the pool and have a quick escape to the mountains. Fortunately, the Upstate is blessed with waterparks and great nearby state parks (in the mountains)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area