Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM

42 posts, read 74,707 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live in the Augusta Road area and send their kids to public school? If so, are the schools alright? They seem to score lower than some of the schools out near Greer, but we'd prefer to live closer to downtown Greenville. However, we also would like to send our kids to good, safe public schools.

I realize that the websites scoring public schools aren't always accurate, but the math and reading levels seem to be lower than expected at several schools in the area (this is compared to the public schools I attended as a kid in Louisiana).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
As I live near downtown Greenville and my kids are in public schools, I'll give my opinion.

(Most) Augusta Road homes are zoned for Blythe, Hughes, and Greenville. Of the surrounding areas near downtown Greenville, this zoned school area probably ranks last. Most of the people I know who live in the Augusta Road area send their kids to private schools.

Much better elementary schools (near downtown Greenville) include Sara Collins and Stone. League Middle has a great reputation - MUCH better than Hughes. Beck Academy (middle) has a varied reputation but I would rank it higher than Hughes. JL Mann High is probably a better high school than Greenville High. I do think that Greenville High's reputation is sinking recently.

One interesting note: a new neighborhood middle school is being planned only for the residents of Parkins Mill Road/Gower/Collins Creek/East Parkins Mill area. Expected date of completion is 2014. It will be housed in the old JL Mann High School. This is great news as I'm reluctant to send my kids to Beck (I live in Gower).

Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Is Augusta Circle Elementary not a public school?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,562 times
If you're in the market for an elementary school, take a SERIOUS look at Blythe. It has the state's ONLY partial language immersion program and draws kids from all over the county, even adjacent counties. If you're outside the attendance area, there's a VERY competitive admissions process, but if you're home based, then you're golden. Really and truly, don't take all your advice from the internet, check out some of these in person, specifically if they have a specialized program. You're not going to find that education anywhere else in the state, and your kids stand to gain a great deal if they can hang with it.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
Yes, Augusta Circle is a public elementary but it is a neighborhood school and draws from a very small area within the Augusta Road/W Faris Rd area.

Augusta Circle is fantastic elementary but it is feeder school to Hughes.

Yes, Blythe has an immersion language (Spanish/French) program. When I mean immersion, I mean IMMERSION - ALL classes are taught in Spanish/French. An anecdote: My nephews are in that program. One nephew has fallen behind in science and math due to the language barrier. His mother tried to transfer him to Sara Collins but could not (due to a very limited number/competitive out-of-zone slots).

I completely agree with gvillesc: visit the schools, talk to a multitude of parents/teachers - do not rely solely on internet forums, greatschools, score cards, etc.

Of course, the above posts are my opinion only and this is an opinion board.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 PM

42 posts, read 74,707 times
Thank you for the responses. We don't actually have kids yet, so it will be at least six or seven years before we really have to worry about schools. If schools weren't a concern, we'd definitely prefer the Augusta Road area. However, we don't really want to buy there now only to want to move in a few years.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
As I live near downtown Greenville and my kids are in public schools, I'll give my opinion.

(Most) Augusta Road homes are zoned for Blythe, Hughes, and Greenville. Of the surrounding areas near downtown Greenville, this zoned school area probably ranks last. Most of the people I know who live in the Augusta Road area send their kids to private schools.

Much better elementary schools (near downtown Greenville) include Sara Collins and Stone. League Middle has a great reputation - MUCH better than Hughes. Beck Academy (middle) has a varied reputation but I would rank it higher than Hughes. JL Mann High is probably a better high school than Greenville High. I do think that Greenville High's reputation is sinking recently.

One interesting note: a new neighborhood middle school is being planned only for the residents of Parkins Mill Road/Gower/Collins Creek/East Parkins Mill area. Expected date of completion is 2014. It will be housed in the old JL Mann High School. This is great news as I'm reluctant to send my kids to Beck (I live in Gower).

aside from being reluctant to send kids to beck, beck is too big as it is. beck is 3rd to bryson and mauldin in enrollment. all over 1,000 kids which IMO are HUGE middle schools.

GCS seems to have some of the biggest middle schools i've ever encountered.

anyways. technically GCS is open enrollment. you are zoned for a school and even without a magnet program to attract kids county wide a kid living in fork shoals could go to school in tigerville.

can't speak for blythe. hughes i've known some kids to come out of their math and sci magnet program. some did really well in high school others struggled. not sure how effective the magnet program is there then.

jl versus red raiders. the rivalry continues even on CD haha. both are good schools IMO. academically and athletically. both are similar in size (mann has maybe 200 more kids), almost same demographics (GHS tends to be slightly more diverse), both have magnet programs in the sciences, math, finance, law and social justice.

i'll second League as a good school. from an administrative source in GCS League is the cross road between GHS and Wade Hampton.

I have no connection to this school but Wade Hampton seems to be really progressing into one of the better schools in the district. might be worth looking in to.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc2003 View Post
Thank you for the responses. We don't actually have kids yet, so it will be at least six or seven years before we really have to worry about schools. If schools weren't a concern, we'd definitely prefer the Augusta Road area. However, we don't really want to buy there now only to want to move in a few years.
Even if schools ARE a concern, the Augusta Rd area is great. Parent involvement in Blythe, Augusta Circle, Sara Collins are all HUGE. I don't think you could be disappointed. Greenville's movers and shakers would NOT send their kids to bad schools, and only very few go to private schools.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
A full 1/3rd of kids in Greenville go to private schools. And I imagine few of those kids are coming from the poorer neighborhoods.

Best places to live 2010 - Comparison tool - from MONEY Magazine

Old 06-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And, that's Greenville CITY data, which is really quite irrelevant when discussing schools. The public school district has 70,000 students, just in Greenville County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area