U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM

3,193 posts, read 4,038,132 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on what you like. Would you rather be nearer the beach or mountains? What do you like to do?

I lived in the Charleston area most of my life. I've lived in Greenville for over 10 years now.

Like someone else said every place has it's pros and cons.

I'm more a mountain person so I enjoy being closer to the mtns. I have family in Charleston so I can always visit the beach when I go home.

You are so right about the bugs. It is so wonderful to not have to worry about roaches or water bugs. I've seen maybe 2-3 while living here in Greenville. I don't miss them one bit.

I agree about the crime. It seems so much worse in the Charleston area. I don't miss all that either.

Greenville just seems cleaner to me and I have never ever in my life ever seen so many huge homes than people have up here. Charleston has the battery and nice homes scattered about too but Greenville has huge homes all over the place. They are beautiful so there is definitely money to be made here.

I also love the landscape here...it's not just flat. Charleston is too darned flat with no personality. When it rains, it floods downtown and you get salt water on your car...ain't good for your car.

What about the hurricane scares or the earthquake scares? I don't miss those one bit.

Up here you get 4 seasons. In Charleston it's mostly summer. Greenville isn't as humid as Charleston. There is a big difference. In watching the weather on the news in Charleston, Rob Fowler always says hot, humid and hazy every single day in the summer....and most mornings are foggy. We don't get fog so much up here. You walk outside in the summer in Charleston and you almost instantly need another bath.

One big thing too that Greenville has going for it is that the cost of living is cheaper here than in Charleston.

I don't find traffic up here as bad as Charleston. Yeah, Woodruff is rough, but you can always find ways around it or avoid it during peak times. For the most part everything is convenient and close by.

One thing I noticed when I first moved up here is friendliness. I thought maybe it was just the few people I came in contact with, but no....it's most people. People seem more laid back and easy going. Charleston seemed more hoity toity...who you know.

What I miss about the Charleston area:

Big oak trees and spanish moss
Palm trees
The smell of the beach
GREAT seafood restaurants
Walking around downtown - but don't miss driving all the one way streets
Kiahwah and Edisto Beaches and boat riding

I don't know. I guess you just have to get a piece of paper and write down the pros and cons of each.

I wouldn't care for Columbia. What's there? I went to school there but would never live there again.

Myrtle Beach...too commercial for me. It's the redneck Riviera.

Good Luck! How nice to be able to choose where to live. How about have a small place in Charleston and one in Greenville?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,131,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster1 View Post
I've lived in all 4 cities for multiple years

MB - Lived there 10 years and don't even go back to visit. Much better beaches on the east coast.
Charleston - lived on James Island. Loved it. Would move back if a job opportunity came up.
Columbia - Parents live on the lake. If you are not on the lake then don't live here. Often called the armpit of the south
Greenville - Been here 10+ years and love it. Great weather, great location, great people.
Obviously this is an opinion board but, this is BS.

The 3 major cities in SC all have pros and cons, most anyone could be happy in any of the cities. Afterall, we are not comparing Atlanta with Greenville, the three areas of SC are very close in size and opportunities. And, I would not limit the topic to the 4 areas, the areas around Charlotte are clearly part of SC and provide options/opportunities not matched anywhere else in SC.

For me, the pros of Charleston are the beach and all of downtown, which can't be duplicated anywhere. The cons would have to be the endless line of tourist and the relatively small white collar job market. Charleston is also the only city in the Carolinas where I have been approached more than once in an aggressive manner so I can see how some would think crime is bad.

Greenville has a nice downtown and seems to want development in the CBD to build on what is there, it is being developed in a good way. For a southern city, that is unique. But, outside of the downtown area, the metro is way too spread out. When I am back home in the area, crime seems to be getting worse and dominates the news. A couple of friends who moved back to the area have also mentioned that crime is much worse than they remember. Like Charleston, the white collar job market is limited (one reason why I am in Charlotte) as is the education level for adults. I am not a conservative or liberal but, this is one area of the south where you better be conservative to have any chance of being accepted into the establishment.

As for Columbia, the city needs to work on connecting the many different pockets of the city. The Vista, Five Points, The University, Main St, and the river are awesome places with many things to do. However, you lose the feel of the city due to the enormous footprint of downtown. Its good to see the city recognize this and work to solve the problem. Recreational opportunities are tremendous for the area. The River is a great, the university provides unmatched art/entertainment options and the city has tremendous old neighborhoods. Having the art and children's museums as well as the zoo in Columbia is also a huge plus. The people in Columbia are some of the nicest anywhere and closer demographically to Charleston in politics, income and educational levels. With all that goes on in the city, it makes absolutely no sense that some claim there is nothing there or nothing to do. As with other SC cities, crime could be better controlled, maybe this is a state thing.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 PM

5,782 posts, read 4,497,469 times
i've been researching Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston prior to a road trip this fall (hoping to move somewhere in SC when I semi-retire in a few years). I'm surprised at the negative Columbia comments because I work with a young woman (in her upper 20s) who's from Spartanburg (her mom's still there), and said that of the three cities, she'd move to Columbia in a second if her job weren't here in Chicago. Maybe an age thing ... I wonder if she likes it so much because it's a college town and she's not that many years out of college herself?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 PM

10,397 posts, read 15,001,563 times
Through the years I've had lots of Spartanburg people tell me they really like Columbia. The city is aware of its need to connect its downtown districts into one big downtown and is determined to do so. In the meantime it's a fine city with plenty to see and do. It is strong in the arts and has a vibrant and tasty restaurant scene. By the way, that restaurant scene got several plugs yesterday on Clemson's "Your Day" on SC ETV Radio during a show about food.

Like Columbia, Greenville, Charleston and Myrtle Beach each have their attributes and shortcomings.

Why isn't this thread in the South Carolina forum?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,131,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
i've been researching Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston prior to a road trip this fall (hoping to move somewhere in SC when I semi-retire in a few years). I'm surprised at the negative Columbia comments because I work with a young woman (in her upper 20s) who's from Spartanburg (her mom's still there), and said that of the three cities, she'd move to Columbia in a second if her job weren't here in Chicago. Maybe an age thing ... I wonder if she likes it so much because it's a college town and she's not that many years out of college herself?
I ask the same question all of the time. Columbia has many natural recreational opportunities, one of the highest income and educational levels in SC, and some of the nicest people around. Granted, downtown needs to be sewn together but, the architecture on Main Street is awesome and there are many downtown districts with good restaurants and small shops. The inner ring neighborhoods around Columbia are very nice. And, as many have mentioned, it is a short drive to the beach and mountains, you are not doubling down on one or the other.

As for growth, Columbia has grown as fast or faster than the other SC cities for the past decade.

If I had to guess at an answer, it is either an anti government stance towards the state government (Columbia is guilty by association), ignorance as to what is actually in Columbia (museums, restaurants, natural resources, economic opportunities such as the new pharm plant, etc...), an aversion to a city for those who like small towns such as Aiken, bad information on these boards from folks intent on bashing the city, or some other strange reason. In any case, all three cities are very livable.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM

4,905 posts, read 6,954,283 times
I guess some of these comments are fair. But I disagree with the comment "you have to be conservative to be accepted in Greenville". This couldn't be any further from the truth. I'm a black male, raising mixed children and we love it here. We aren't ultra conservative, but we definitely aren't extreme liberal either. We don't even attend church. A have a liberal friend running for senate, and there is a good chance he will win. He loves Greenville and will be representing Greenville in Columbia. He is black also. Our city manager is also black. Greenville has made very large strides, and some could take notes.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 PM

11,058 posts, read 21,979,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I am not a conservative or liberal but, this is one area of the south where you better be conservative to have any chance of being accepted into the establishment.
I disagree. I am an overall liberal person and love it here. I support gay marriage, voted for Obama, hate haley, don't attend church, etc.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM

51 posts, read 60,409 times
Myrtle - Live here now, can't stand it. It's flat, boring and the beaches are disgusting. Restaurants and attractions suck beyond belief.
Greenville - Thinking about moving here, very excited about the possibilities, but in the end- don't forget it's still in SC
Charleston - Lived on John's Island, I liked it kinda. Food was AMAZING! Couldn't find a restaurant I didn't like. Terrible drivers though and most of the infrastructure is in dire need of upgrades.
Columbia- Just been a few times on business. Seems like a dirty, worn-out city. But that's just what I see from the interstate.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,250,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSTJ View Post
Greenville is fun im from there it really nice

Columbia it boring and to many fake people up here

Mrytle Beach is fun i like it there
Agreed! Move to any of those places, but Columbia!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM

117 posts, read 130,567 times
Our family moved to Columbia a while back and we would move here in a minute given the choice again. The people that we have met are awesome. We are friends with people who moved here from all over the country, a great diversity. The neighborhoods are terrific. The intown neighborhoods have a ton of character with easy access to shopping, can't wait for the Whole Foods Plaza (and Basil) to be compete. Love the fact that Whole Foods chose an intown location instead of the suburbs. And from what I hear, Trader Joes is coming in town as well. As for things to do, our children are constantly involved with activites across the city, EdVentrure is great (should be better with the new water front areas). For adults date nights, The Vista is a great option, Five Points can be fun at times but, you will get tired of college kids. There are a ton of concerts at the arena and many different art/performance venues. If you are into church activities (as we are), there are many options as there are for those not interested in church. Overall, it is a great city, not too big (although it is growing fast), not too small. For weekend trips, the beach is very close (2 hours ar most) as are the NC mountains.

I am not too familiar with Charleston or Greenville other than visiting. Both are nice cities so, I am sure folks could be happy in any of the three. As others have said, there are pros and cons of each area. If our family was interested in incredible shopping, countless restaurants and entertainment options, we would have moved to Charlotte or Atlanta. Columbia provides us with 98% of what we need, for the other 2%, Charlotte is an hour up I77.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area