U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM

55 posts, read 146,346 times

Advertisements

I find it so funny how people's opinions are so different!

Greenville-I'm originally from the upstate area and moved back after college (not by choice). My overall impression/experience since coming back to the area is that.....it can be ok but it is not for me. I'm still in my 20s and I think Greenville is perfect for families or those who have settled down. I don't enjoy the social scene, in fact, I'm not sure there is one. It's very slow. The best thing about Greenville, however, is that the COL is extremely low compared to other areas of the state! There's not that much traffic, except Woodruff road-which is crazy. At any rate...I'm trying to get out of here ASAP.

Columbia-I went to college there. I loved it when I was in school. It's a little faster than the upstate but not too much. There's a lot more things to do in Columbia. You have the Vista, Sandhill, Five Points (sometimes), lots of events due to USC being in town and it is centrally located to travel to the other places. COL is okay, less than Charleston and MB but a little more than Greenville. The worst thing about Columbia? The HEAT! Hell on earth, I swear.

MB-Never lived in MB but, just from visiting-I can tell that visiting is about all I would want to do. I'm really not a fan of their beaches and only go to have fun. I would probably never consider moving there. I did research the area a couple years ago. COL is expensive especially compared to the area.

Now, Charleston-I have never lived in Charleston but I have been in love with the city since I first visited at age 9. I'm actually looking to move there, hopefully within the next few months....just trying to find somewhere to live that A) doesn't have me scared to sleep at night B) doesn't make me poor! Lol

If I were you, I'd remain in Charleston
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM

4,913 posts, read 6,966,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karolinagrl View Post
I find it so funny how people's opinions are so different!

Greenville-I'm originally from the upstate area and moved back after college (not by choice). My overall impression/experience since coming back to the area is that.....it can be ok but it is not for me. I'm still in my 20s and I think Greenville is perfect for families or those who have settled down. I don't enjoy the social scene, in fact, I'm not sure there is one. It's very slow. The best thing about Greenville, however, is that the COL is extremely low compared to other areas of the state! There's not that much traffic, except Woodruff road-which is crazy. At any rate...I'm trying to get out of here ASAP.

Columbia-I went to college there. I loved it when I was in school. It's a little faster than the upstate but not too much. There's a lot more things to do in Columbia. You have the Vista, Sandhill, Five Points (sometimes), lots of events due to USC being in town and it is centrally located to travel to the other places. COL is okay, less than Charleston and MB but a little more than Greenville. The worst thing about Columbia? The HEAT! Hell on earth, I swear.

MB-Never lived in MB but, just from visiting-I can tell that visiting is about all I would want to do. I'm really not a fan of their beaches and only go to have fun. I would probably never consider moving there. I did research the area a couple years ago. COL is expensive especially compared to the area.

Now, Charleston-I have never lived in Charleston but I have been in love with the city since I first visited at age 9. I'm actually looking to move there, hopefully within the next few months....just trying to find somewhere to live that A) doesn't have me scared to sleep at night B) doesn't make me poor! Lol

If I were you, I'd remain in Charleston
Every place isn't for everyone. I hope you find what you are looking for. I love it! I've spent time in all cities. Do you have any info or statistic that can substantiate that the upstate is slower paced? I don't see it. Check out the median home prices. Greenville isn't last.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM

11,058 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Looking at all of the development going on in downtown Greenville right now makes the city definitely not look slow paced in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM

55 posts, read 146,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Every place isn't for everyone. I hope you find what you are looking for. I love it! I've spent time in all cities. Do you have any info or statistic that can substantiate that the upstate is slower paced? I don't see it. Check out the median home prices. Greenville isn't last.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose! No statistics on the slower pace, just experience. As I mentioned earlier, I definitely think I would like it more if I were settling down or had children. I just haven't found it to be ideal for a young and single lady

Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karolinagrl View Post
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose! No statistics on the slower pace, just experience. As I mentioned earlier, I definitely think I would like it more if I were settling down or had children. I just haven't found it to be ideal for a young and single lady
What exactly is slower paced to you? I'm single, fairly young, most would say I'm doing well. Just south of 100k. It's all subjective. Maybe you mean Greenville is more conservative. Which doesn't exactly mean slower paced.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,137,608 times
Quote:
How would you put a statistic on "Slower Pace"? I hear that Charlotte is a slow pace, it all depends on what you are looking for in a city and perspective. For some, only NYC will be fast enough. For others, like me, I would not mind living on Pawleys Island. You're in real estate, do you have anything on Pawleys?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
How would you put a statistic on "Slower Pace"? I hear that Charlotte is a slow pace, it all depends on what you are looking for in a city and perspective. For some, only NYC will be fast enough. For others, like me, I would not mind living on Pawleys Island. You're in real estate, do you have anything on Pawleys?
I definitely agree with you. Like I said, it's all subjective. Most probably consider anything conservative to be slow, but that's not the case. Some probably feel that liberalism is fast, because they tend to have less rules and standards. Again it's all subjective. I like some of both. I can find you something on Pawleys Island if you're serious, lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,137,608 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with you. Like I said, it's all subjective. Most probably consider anything conservative to be slow, but that's not the case. Some probably feel that liberalism is fast, because they tend to have less rules and standards. Again it's all subjective. I like some of both. I can find you something on Pawleys Island if you're serious, lol.

In time, I have one more addition to do on this house. But, I have looked some at Litchfield by the Sea. That is one of my favorite areas in SC.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
[/b]

In time, I have one more addition to do on this house. But, I have looked some at Litchfield by the Sea. That is one of my favorite areas in SC.
It's a very beautiful place.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM

10,399 posts, read 15,031,754 times
What makes Columbia feel faster to me is the downtown traffic. The streets are wide, and cars and trucks speed by on several main thoroughfares that traverse the city-center map. On many parts of the urban grid you have to pay closer attention to the "walk/don't walk" signs or risk getting plowed over by motorists rushing to get through town. Also, the checker board layout typical of much larger cities remains intact across a wide area where you continually get glimpses of "big city" life in the form of pedestrians, bicyclists, metro buses, etc. It's just a feeling. There are different nodes on the map where more people congregate for entertainment, sidewalk dining, etc., but no one area of the large downtown dominates overwhelmingly as the "see and be seen" district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area