U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 PM

315 posts, read 576,191 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Spartanburg. Moved to Charleston at age 18, been there for 12 years. Considering a move. Have a job that requires me to stay in-state, but can go anywhere I want. So........what to do.

Charleston is great. But it's gotten too damn crowded and the crime is awful. Despite what the Holy City's tourism dept says, when you get off the tourist and beach paths, the crime is awful. Too many shootings, rapes, robberies and drugs. The bugs are awful, it's hot, it smells when it rains. It was a great place to go to college b/c it's basically a 365 day party. And I can say, Charleston has, BY FAR, the hottest women in the state. Not that there aren't 10's all over SC. But Charleston's women are just unreal, far fewer "hefty" women, lots more hotties. But......there lies the problem. I'm no longer 21. And the 33 year olds here still act like they are 21. Drunkfest 365 d a year. Crime. Heat. Bugs. Traffic.

So....what should I expect from the other cities, should I go?

Greenville? I know it's growing fast. Grew up about 20 miles east of G'ville. Visit there a lot. But it seems very "cookie cutter". Almost like the city is trying too hard to be NOT South Carolinian. But it's pretty, and the weather isn't quite as hot as Charleston. Possibly where I'll land, any advice?

Columbia? B/C of my job, it offers a bit more opportunity as a lot of it is based there centrally. BUT...Columbians seem miserable. Not sure why. And the traffic seems as bad as Charlestons.

Myrtle Beach? Anyone lived there?

I posted on Greenville forum, because right now, my top 2 choices are A) Move to Greenville or B) Remain in Charleston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:44 AM

Location: south of downtown Greenville, SC --> moving to Greensboro, NC
1,981 posts, read 4,178,280 times
goodness, the title of this thread -

I've only lived in Greenville for about 3 years, but I've never lived in an area with so much in-state/city competition - prime, recent example is the new medical school in Greenville

anxiously awaiting responses from our regulars

Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 AM

5,093 posts, read 7,272,305 times
All of them have their pros and cons. I chose the Greenville area because the leadership is progressive when it comes to quality of life and bringing in business. As far as traffic, it similar to Columbia and Charleston except on Woodruff rd., which is a parking lot regularly.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 AM

83 posts, read 144,572 times
First of all, I can guarantee you we will all take issue with your statement that Greenville is a "cookie cutter" city. I could not disagree more wholeheartedly with you :-p

Yes, it is growing rapidly and receiving the most attention in our state right now, but Greenville has always been a great place to live. We just used to fly under the radar! I don't think many people enjoy Columbia, but Greenville has a ton of restaurants/bars for someone your age to meet great people.

Side note: you will be much closer to the mountains, for quick weekend escapes from all the summer heat!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM

257 posts, read 291,759 times
Not sure where the "bunch of miserable Columbians who despise their city" take is coming from, but from the information given, it sounds like Greenville would be the best fit especially considering the milder weather.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

315 posts, read 576,191 times
Thanks. Not many responses though. Just from a few friends who live there, they say the only thing that really goes on is everyone goes out to eat at the latest, greatest new restaurant that opened, and then the fad moves to the next new place, and thats about it.

I'm leaning towards the upstate. But friends say it's very "gossipy" up there, and people are really into the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mindset. True?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM

5,093 posts, read 7,272,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
Thanks. Not many responses though. Just from a few friends who live there, they say the only thing that really goes on is everyone goes out to eat at the latest, greatest new restaurant that opened, and then the fad moves to the next new place, and thats about it.

I'm leaning towards the upstate. But friends say it's very "gossipy" up there, and people are really into the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mindset. True?
We are success driven, yes. Would you rather it be the other way around? This is an area of 1.3 million. Sounds like a lot of gossip. Where do your friends live?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,094 times
Greenville is fun im from there it really nice

Columbia it boring and to many fake people up here

Mrytle Beach is fun i like it there

Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,394,992 times
If you don't like Charleston because of the crowd, the crime, and the old people acting like they are 21, I would avoid Myrtle Beach.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM

177 posts, read 443,660 times
I've lived in all 4 cities for multiple years

MB - Lived there 10 years and don't even go back to visit. Much better beaches on the east coast.
Charleston - lived on James Island. Loved it. Would move back if a job opportunity came up.
Columbia - Parents live on the lake. If you are not on the lake then don't live here. Often called the armpit of the south
Greenville - Been here 10+ years and love it. Great weather, great location, great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area