Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have lived in FL for about 5 years but yet it doesnt feel like my permanent spot. Something is missing here although it is very beautiful. I miss the feeling of a city, neighboorhoods and a central point (downtown) area. I also miss 4 seasons terribly. Never thought this would be a problem for me but it is. I keep trying to fight the feeling and just stay put because I do have a good job here but I just feel like something is missing here for me.

I stumbled upon Greenville after looking to move to Charlotte for so many years but have been deterred due to the crime there and seeing it on the First 48 so much! lol Anyhow, Greenville doesnt look or seem "country" or backwoods from what I can gather here on City Data. Anyways, I was wondering, where do folks work in Greenville? I have worked for Fortune 500 corporations and am currently a project manager. Hopefully I can find a remote PM job and then I can move freely. What are the big companies locally? How are the elementary schools and neighborhoods as far as nice modern, affordable housing? Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
Michelin's North American headquarters is located in Greenville. BMW is also located nearby. In the financial field, many of the larger national and regional banks (Wells Fargo/Wachovia, TD Bank, BB&T) have regional HQ in Greenville. Not sure exactly where a PM would fit in.

As for good places to raise children, there are several in and around Greenville. The eastside of Greenville (towards Greer) has great schools, as does the Simpsonville area. Another area to consider is Northern Anderson County (Powdersville/Piedmont area), specifically Anderson County School District 1. There, you'll find a bit more of a "country" feel, homes have larger lots, yet you're only 15-20 minutes from Downtown Greenville and the schools are very good.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks Lone Star! I am looking for an area that is new and surburban within close vicinity to shopping. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Michelin's North American headquarters is located in Greenville. BMW is also located nearby. In the financial field, many of the larger national and regional banks (Wells Fargo/Wachovia, TD Bank, BB&T) have regional HQ in Greenville. Not sure exactly where a PM would fit in.

As for good places to raise children, there are several in and around Greenville. The eastside of Greenville (towards Greer) has great schools, as does the Simpsonville area. Another area to consider is Northern Anderson County (Powdersville/Piedmont area), specifically Anderson County School District 1. There, you'll find a bit more of a "country" feel, homes have larger lots, yet you're only 15-20 minutes from Downtown Greenville and the schools are very good.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Thanks Lone Star! I am looking for an area that is new and surburban within close vicinity to shopping. Any suggestions?
Woodruff Rd from what I've heard.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,773 times
city-life ? what's a city life like to you?

Greenville is nowhere near the city life of Charlotte. So if you want something similiar , i'd suggest you visit here first.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:10 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Hello,
I have lived in FL for about 5 years but yet it doesnt feel like my permanent spot. Something is missing here although it is very beautiful. I miss the feeling of a city, neighboorhoods and a central point (downtown) area. I also miss 4 seasons terribly. Never thought this would be a problem for me but it is. I keep trying to fight the feeling and just stay put because I do have a good job here but I just feel like something is missing here for me.

I stumbled upon Greenville after looking to move to Charlotte for so many years but have been deterred due to the crime there and seeing it on the First 48 so much! lol Anyhow, Greenville doesnt look or seem "country" or backwoods from what I can gather here on City Data. Anyways, I was wondering, where do folks work in Greenville? I have worked for Fortune 500 corporations and am currently a project manager. Hopefully I can find a remote PM job and then I can move freely. What are the big companies locally? How are the elementary schools and neighborhoods as far as nice modern, affordable housing? Thanks for any feedback!
You say you have a good job in Florida.....livable wage jobs in Greenville are hard to come by in spite of the fact that there are big companies there. Most of the bigger employers like to use staffing agencies to fill positions. My advice would be that if you cannot find a remote PM job then you should keep your job in Florida and fight the feeling to move.

Greenville is great at attracting new retail (low wage paying), new restaurants (low wage paying) and manufacturing companies that want to exploit SC low wage labor force but other than that finding an office job in Greenville that will pay you a wage that you can live on is hard to do. People on this forum like to name drop by mentioning companies like BMW, Michelin etc. that are located in Greenville......what they do not mention is that getting an office job in one of those companies is not easy. Other than the job situation Greenville's overall quality of life (good schools, affordable housing etc.) is good. As another poster has already said visit Greenville so that you can gain a better idea whether or not it is the place you want to live. But when you do make sure that downtown is not your only destination.

Also not sure what your racial background is but a friend of mine from SC shared an AARP article with me the other day about SC.

Just something to consider if you are interested in moving to any city in SC.

http://www.aarp.org/work/job-hunting/info-05-2011/ask-the-experts-worst-states-for-minority-job-seekers.html#.TfaDlQL8nGM;email

Good luck to you....

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,773 times
^ very True

Most major companies that come here have a very SECURE executive office. To get one of those jobs will be tough b/c on top of that there are CIRCLES here that are cliquish

ANd yeah, I've known lots of friends that grew up here and places like BMW would hire them through a temp agency.... lure them in with the idea of getting on full-time.. then they lay everybody off before they can get on full time and repeat the cycle ........ sucks to see it b/c it happens so much to good people I know that are hard workers

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You say you have a good job in Florida.....livable wage jobs in Greenville are hard to come by in spite of the fact that there are big companies there. Most of the bigger employers like to use staffing agencies to fill positions. My advice would be that if you cannot find a remote PM job then you should keep your job in Florida and fight the feeling to move.
If the OP found a decent job here, they should find it easier to find one in SC. For the most part FL has even poorer paying jobs, less of them (as the bulk of the economy here is service industry based), and the cost of living is higher than SC. Unemployment here is also considerably higher than SC.

As for staffing agencies, that happens everywhere, and the few manufacturing companies that do exist here mostly uses staffing agencies the same way (and have for the 20 years that I've been here).

Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Wow, great feedback NewYorkBorn! Appreciate the article very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post

Greenville is great at attracting new retail (low wage paying), new restaurants (low wage paying) and manufacturing companies that want to exploit SC low wage labor force but other than that finding an office job in Greenville that will pay you a wage that you can live on is hard to do. People on this forum like to name drop by mentioning companies like BMW, Michelin etc. that are located in Greenville......what they do not mention is that getting an office job in one of those companies is not easy. Other than the job situation Greenville's overall quality of life (good schools, affordable housing etc.) is good. As another poster has already said visit Greenville so that you can gain a better idea whether or not it is the place you want to live. But when you do make sure that downtown is not your only destination.

Also not sure what your racial background is but a friend of mine from SC shared an AARP article with me the other day about SC.

Just something to consider if you are interested in moving to any city in SC.

http://www.aarp.org/work/job-hunting/info-05-2011/ask-the-experts-worst-states-for-minority-job-seekers.html#.TfaDlQL8nGM;email

Good luck to you....

Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Sojones,
I guess I need to rephrase that. I do not want to live in a big city like Charlotte but would like to be close to one when I want that city energy that I had in the DC/VA area. I miss that sometimes. Tampa's downtown is really dead. Anyways, looks like I need to just suck it up here and deal with it because the job climate doesnt seem favorable there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
city-life ? what's a city life like to you?

Greenville is nowhere near the city life of Charlotte. So if you want something similiar , i'd suggest you visit here first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area