Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me the difference between the two? Pros and cons? Which has more stores, restaurants and day to day things? Whcih has more going on like festivals, holiday events, etc?

Last edited by beckycat; 06-14-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 AM

192 posts, read 429,313 times
Taylors and Greer kind of run into each other. Greer is an actual city with a downtown area, a mayor, its own police department, etc. Taylors is an "area" of Greenville county that connects the city of Greenville to Greer. Taylors has a post office . . . and a branch of the Greenville County Library . . . but all services are provided by the county.

The difference is 10 minutes. You can easily drive between the two.

I actually live in the Greer City limits . . . but have a Taylors mailing address.

Not sure where you live right now, but to get to know the ins and outs of the area, my best advice is to drive from Greenville to Greer on Wade Hampton Blvd. 95% of your drive will be through the area known as Taylors. Get a feel for it.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
From a safety standpoint Greer has it's own Police dept where Taylors I believe is Sherriff coverd [could run 1/2 hour or more in responce] NOT knocking the SO but they are busier and sometimes takes a while for a responce. BOTH have good FD's. I lived in Greer for 8 years and love the place. [sometimes I wish I was back there]

Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM

344 posts, read 815,960 times
Greer has a great downtown with great restaurant choices, outdoor movies in the park in the summer, various festivals, fireworks, etc. I prefer the 29650 part of Greer, rather than the 29651 part. Having lived in both Taylors and Greer, I would definitely choose Greer.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
We ended up purchasing a home in Greer, though my first offer on a home was going to be in Taylors. We liked both areas, but I think I agree with what others have said, with exception to FitMom about 29650, I personally prefer the 29651 side of Greer - 29650 seems to be newer, while I like the more country-side feel of 29651. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
We ended up purchasing a home in Greer, though my first offer on a home was going to be in Taylors. We liked both areas, but I think I agree with what others have said, with exception to FitMom about 29650, I personally prefer the 29651 side of Greer - 29650 seems to be newer, while I like the more country-side feel of 29651. It just depends on what you're looking for.
Eldemila is right- I didn't mean the 29651 area was bad. I just prefer the newer area. We have several friends that live in the 29651 area, and their area is pretty- I just like being closer to everything. It's another nice thing about Greer- there is something for everyone.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Do they both (Taylors and Greer) have all the stores that you need? I take it the 29650 zip code has more of the shopping that the 29651 in Greer?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Taylors is in between Greenville and Greer. They are all so close together that you could shop in any of them. Taylors has grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. As far as shopping in the two Greer zip codes, both have stores available. Where we are in Greer (29650), I could drive one direction towards Wade Hampton and shop at Bi-Lo or Bloom (soon to be Food Lion, I think?) or drive towards Pelham Rd and shop at Publix. I prefer Publix, so that's where I go (there's also a Publix on Wade Hampton in or near Taylors). Target is in between the two Greer zip codes on Wade Hampton (and it actually has a Taylors address, but is in Greer). It also takes me 10 minutes to be on Woodruff Rd at Trader Joes and Whole Foods- I shop at Trader Joe's weekly (most of the time more than once a week actually). You really can't go wrong with any of the areas you are looking at. All of the everyday conveniences that you need like grocery stores are easily available, and you can quickly be anywhere else in Greenville that you might need. Restaurant wise, Taylors has mostly chain fast food and a Texas Roadhouse, and the usual take out places. Greer has more variety in fast food choices, more sit down restaurant choices, a Starbucks, etc. Hope that helps!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
Taylors is in between Greenville and Greer. They are all so close together that you could shop in any of them. Taylors has grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. As far as shopping in the two Greer zip codes, both have stores available. Where we are in Greer (29650), I could drive one direction towards Wade Hampton and shop at Bi-Lo or Bloom (soon to be Food Lion, I think?) or drive towards Pelham Rd and shop at Publix. I prefer Publix, so that's where I go (there's also a Publix on Wade Hampton in or near Taylors). Target is in between the two Greer zip codes on Wade Hampton (and it actually has a Taylors address, but is in Greer). It also takes me 10 minutes to be on Woodruff Rd at Trader Joes and Whole Foods- I shop at Trader Joe's weekly (most of the time more than once a week actually). You really can't go wrong with any of the areas you are looking at. All of the everyday conveniences that you need like grocery stores are easily available, and you can quickly be anywhere else in Greenville that you might need. Restaurant wise, Taylors has mostly chain fast food and a Texas Roadhouse, and the usual take out places. Greer has more variety in fast food choices, more sit down restaurant choices, a Starbucks, etc. Hope that helps!
Just got home from Blooms and they are sloooowly moving in to Food Lion phase. Asked them when it will be fully a FL and one gal said they were told July 10th, so it's soon. Already they have the FL grocery bags and I don't see the Bloom private label brands, at least not when I was there.

I'm right off Wade Hampton. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to TJ's on Woodruff. I would say the only things that aren't really, really close are the movie theater and the mall, both which takes about 20 minutes to get to, so not all that big of a deal, it's rare I go to either place.

This is a site that helped me a lot to see what was in the area I was looking to buy a home in - I think it's helpful for many who want to know how close in proximity places are to a home they may be looking to buy/rent:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

My homes walk-score is 55. The average for Greer is 42%, so I'm a little above that, though 31% of Greer have an average score of 78%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area