Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM

212 posts, read 492,550 times

Advertisements

My husband has 2 job offers, one in Greenville, Sc and one in Atlanta. We have not been to either place but the jobs are both great advancements from where he is now. So we are contemplating on relocating from Columbus, Ohio. We have been wanting to move for a while now. Tired of the snow and long grey dreary months. Anyways, I have a couple of questions. I have already browsed the postings on here now, but some things are not clear to me.

1. What areas are "considered" the nicer towns/suburbs of the Greenville area?
-for TOP ranked school districts
-historic districts and/or (tree lined streets)
- good shopping & restaurants & coffee shops
- lower crime/friendly

2. I am really looking for a traditional home with LOTS of trees and character in the town/neighborhoods (Homes in the $300's-$400's). What areas of atlanta have these type of traditional 2 story homes that are not all new cookie cutters?

3. ***IF*** you personally know both places (atlanta and greenville) from experience, which city would you recommend relocating to and WHY? Try to be non biased.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
I will try to offer an unbiased opinion but, every opinion is colored by the individual's unique perspective. Yes, I have spent much of my life in SC and have not lived full-time in Atlanta. However, my mother lived in Atlanta as did my boyfriend for many years. I would suggest Greenville over Atlanta for the following reasons:

1. Two years ago, while attending an event at the convention center downtown, I was chased by a homeless guy, presumably to mug me. Personal bias admitted with that one.
2. Traffic in Atanta rivals LA
3. Cost of living....you get more for your money with regards to home purchases in Greenville
4. With all things being equal (job rank, compensation package) overall cost of living will likely be cheaper in Greenville but that is my gut instinct and I don't have the stats to support the claim. Independently you can compare state income tax rates, property tax rates, cost of gasoline, etc.. on one of the relo websites that will give you a very accurate cost of living comparison.
5. Lastly it will depend a great deal on whether you want a big city (NY) lifestyle or a more rural-feeling lifestyle for your family. I prefer the later, but that you must decide alone.

Good luck wherever you land!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
It all depends on what you want and are willing to trade off. Atlanta is much much larger, 6m+ in the metro v. Greenville in the 1m range +/- depending on what you are counting as part of Greenville. With the size, Atlanta has just about anything you want, world class shopping & restaurants, pro sports teams, major college sports, the opportunity to find jobs in many industries, mass transit options, entertainment, the worlds busiest airport etc.....But, that is not for everyone. Along with that comes travel times which also depends on proximity to your job and schools. Greenville is a nice place but, if you are just looking for amenities or things to do, there is no comparison...and it is not close. If you want a simplier lifestyle without a lot of the big city amenities, Greenville is not bad.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Greenville & Atlanta are such different places, that I think the choice has to boil down to what your personal priorities are. Atlanta of course offers (fairly) easy access to world-class everything and nonstop flights to just about everywhere. But at what price?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
My husband has 2 job offers, one in Greenville, Sc and one in Atlanta. We have not been to either place but the jobs are both great advancements from where he is now. So we are contemplating on relocating from Columbus, Ohio. We have been wanting to move for a while now. Tired of the snow and long grey dreary months. Anyways, I have a couple of questions. I have already browsed the postings on here now, but some things are not clear to me.

1. What areas are "considered" the nicer towns/suburbs of the Greenville area?
-for TOP ranked school districts
-historic districts and/or (tree lined streets)
- good shopping & restaurants & coffee shops
- lower crime/friendly

2. I am really looking for a traditional home with LOTS of trees and character in the town/neighborhoods (Homes in the $300's-$400's). What areas of atlanta have these type of traditional 2 story homes that are not all new cookie cutters?

3. ***IF*** you personally know both places (atlanta and greenville) from experience, which city would you recommend relocating to and WHY? Try to be non biased.

Thanks for your time.
The two places are nothing alike. Atlanta is large and one of the major metros in the US. Greenville is small. Not even a comparison.

Personal opinion, as I can live anywhere I choose in the South due to my job, I chose Greenville. I know Atlanta very well and not exactly fond of the place. If I were in the market to live in a larger southern metro, it would be Charlotte, Dallas or Nashville, all much more quality places than Atlanta IMO.

Last edited by gsupstate; 06-24-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks for all of your opinions. We will not take them lightly. I think the most important things for our family is

#1 - School district
#2 - Beautiful neighborhood
#3 - Close to convenient shopping/entertainment for families
#4 - Low crime
#5 - Around 1 acre close to everything.

The big lights and big city dont impress me. Thats what drew me to greenville. It seems like a small time bigger city in a beautiful area. Im kind of afraid of atlanta.. seems huge. I just have hopes that there are areas around atlanta that seem nice and quaint. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM

344 posts, read 816,187 times
My husband grew up in Atlanta, and moved to Greenville when he was in high school. Much of his family is still in the Altanta area, so we spend time there a few times a year. He very much prefers Greenville over Atlanta. With his job, we can live pretty much anywhere, and this is where we choose. The nice thing about Greenville is that it's growing, and there are actually a lot of big city amenities here. For neighborhoods that sound like what you might like, check out Sugar Creek, Sugar Mill, Barrington Park, and Thornblade. Those are all in the Riverside/Buena Vista school district, which is known for it's great schools. Good luck with your choice!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Fitmom77 what citys are those schools in? Riverside/buena vista?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 PM

344 posts, read 816,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
Fitmom77 what citys are those schools in? Riverside/buena vista?
They are in Greer (29650). Buena Vista is an elementary school, and then there is Riverside Middle and Riverside High School. Those neighborhoods and schools are near Pelham Rd. and interstate 85, Batesville Rd, and Devenger Rd (the middle and high schools are near Suber Rd. and Gibb Shoals Rd.). That area is close to the Greer/Greenville line- I know some of the restaurants and shops that are close to us on Pelham Rd. have a Greenville address.

I wanted to add that Greenville County is one big school district, so what schools you are zoned for depends on where you live- I realized the way I worded "Riverside/Buena Vista school district" might have been confusing to someone not familiar with the area.

Last edited by FitMom77; 06-24-2011 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: More explanation

Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,910 times
And to note, while they have a Greer address they aren't actually in any city. South Carolina is different from Northern areas in that most of the land is unincorporated (i.e. not part of a town or city) so the areas FitMom mentioned are actually in Greenville county with a Greer mailing address. You can live within 10 mins. of downtown Greenville but be in the "burbs" so to speak.

I suggest visiting both areas before deciding. Atlanta is high traffic even in the outskirts. Greenville on the other hand is like a large town.

As to airports, yes Atlanta has everything to get you anywhere but it's clear across Atlanta so if you live on the east side or north of Atlanta it's a long drive. Greenville may not provide as much access but it's close and frankly Charlotte isn't that far away and traffic getting there isn't too bad.

There is plenty of shopping areas and there is a children's museum and a small zoo which is looking to relocate to a larger area and the downtown in my opinion is the best with the river and park. Atlanta is spread out.

In the end it's job and what you like so visit in order to determine which you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area