Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
So I was wondering if I'm missing something. I'm trying to find a rental house that has a yard and allows pets for under 900 a month. I check all the property management sites google pulls up (and were on an older thread), had a friend send out a request on a real estate forum, and craigslist daily but it seems like there really isn't anything. Am I missing something/somewhere to look or do people not rent out houses in nice/safe areas much here?

I thought asheville was hard to find a rental house due to the expense factor, but greenville it seems like there isn't even anything to choose from.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 PM

672 posts, read 2,112,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Hi all,
So I was wondering if I'm missing something. I'm trying to find a rental house that has a yard and allows pets for under 900 a month. I check all the property management sites google pulls up (and were on an older thread), had a friend send out a request on a real estate forum, and craigslist daily but it seems like there really isn't anything. Am I missing something/somewhere to look or do people not rent out houses in nice/safe areas much here?

I thought asheville was hard to find a rental house due to the expense factor, but greenville it seems like there isn't even anything to choose from.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
How many bedrooms? Baths?
Greenville, SC Homes for Rent - Marchant Co. Rental Homes
208 Ridgebrook Way
30 Miracle Dr

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 06-26-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,605,465 times
Greenville has an incredibly tight rental market. In fact, Greenville had the highest rent increases in the country in 2010.

I've been trying to obtain a larger rental house in particular part of the city but have had no luck. I've actually contacted real estate agents to see if any owners would be willing to rent (some luck there but very pricey).

As I have looked in the metro Asheville rental market in the past year, Asheville/Hendersonville has better availability and pricing (my opinion only).

Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Looked at first one and its on a busy road across from a church and businesses.... which was unfortunate becuase I got excited when I first saw it.
second: dogs under 20lbs.
3rd: is way to much money for being so outdated.

I appreciate your help. I guess I should list what we want so find out if maybe its unrealistic? (which would surprise me because we were really picky but able to find decent rentals in asheville and had a lower budget) I dunno...heres our list.

Two tenants, impeccable record w/ no late payments or damage – have always received 100% returned deposit. Two dogs at 35 and 45 lbs and have pet references for 3 years of rentals (goes back to when we got the first one.)

2+ Bedrooms
1+ Bathroom (prefer 2, but not a deal breaker)

Would love a Fenced-in yard but have a temporary fence we used at last rental as long as it is ok with landlord. note: dogs will be kept inside, they will never be left outside when we are not monitoring them or not home

800 Min. SF (may consider slightly smaller if layout is exceptional)
Fully furnished kitchen of decent size (microwave preferred, not req’d)
Rent range $600-$900/mo, may go higher if worthwhile
Safe neighborhood

Would love to be in a country setting, preferable traveler's rest area, but I know i can't have everything I want and wouldn't mind living in town if it had a yard and was safe. I know I gotta have some give and take, for example, if the 3rd had been in the country, I MIGHT consider looking at it but its just not what I want at all.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Greenville has an incredibly tight rental market. In fact, Greenville had the highest rent increases in the country in 2010.

I've been trying to obtain a larger rental house in particular part of the city but have had no luck. I've actually contacted real estate agents to see if any owners would be willing to rent (some luck there but very pricey).

As I have looked in the metro Asheville rental market in the past year, Asheville/Hendersonville has better availability and pricing (my opinion only).

Ah. Well that sucks. I assumed it would be much easier and cheaper to rent in greenville than asheville and after finding a temporary rental for 200 less than what we paid in asheville for a 1bd apt with nicer amenities, we thought for sure we'd hit the jack pot in that regard. Thought that was the one good thing about having to move from asheville. At this point I'd consider buying if I actually intended to stay in greenville, but its not the right place for me and I'm only here because its where I could find work. Le sigh. Thanks for the info though and good luck in your search too!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Ah. Well that sucks. I assumed it would be much easier and cheaper to rent in greenville than asheville and after finding a temporary rental for 200 less than what we paid in asheville for a 1bd apt with nicer amenities, we thought for sure we'd hit the jack pot in that regard. Thought that was the one good thing about having to move from asheville. At this point I'd consider buying if I actually intended to stay in greenville, but its not the right place for me and I'm only here because its where I could find work. Le sigh. Thanks for the info though and good luck in your search too!
Have you tried Craigslist? Would you mind a mobile home? I found some rentals for a decent price on there.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Not sure if you checked any of these sites, but just in case you haven't

Greenville Houses And Homes for Rent

The Greenville News Classifieds: Homes

Greenville, SC Apartments | Greenville, SC Apartments for Rent for Rent | Apartments.Oodle.com

Greenville SC Homes for Sale & Greenville Real Estate - Zillow

Greer SC Homes for Sale & Greer Real Estate - Zillow

Taylors SC Homes for Sale & Taylors Real Estate - Zillow

I can't imagine there wouldn't be something among these sites? Even if it says no pets, I'd still give it a try, explain your past with other landlords. The worst they could say is "No" - you have nothing to lose, nothing ventured, nothing gained. K : )

Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM

344 posts, read 815,882 times
Also, most rent is negotiable, especially if you have a proven track record as a good tenant. So, if you find somewhere a little out of your price range, it never hurts to offer less. When my husband and I were moving around a lot with his job we rented several houses, townhomes, etc., and we never paid the asking price- at two places we offered $100 less than what they were asking, and they took it. And we had pets, as well. Your criteria doesn't seem unreasonable at all. You might try driving through areas that you might like and just see if you see any "For Rent" signs. My husband commented the other day that he was seeing more houses for rent than normal- we figured it was because people are still having a hard time selling.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Fitmom, the last rental we found was by driving and it was the best house ever. I miss it so much. and I'm sure thats some of the problem, nothing is going to compare to it and I've just gotta stop wishing for it back. We were getting to the drive by point soon but by the time people put up for rent signs they want you to move in that week and we had to sign a 6 month temp lease to keep the price under 1000.

I'm just blown away by everyone's help. Thanks again seriously!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,721 times
You might also try calling or visiting some of the property managers, with pet refs in hand, and explain what you're looking for. Just like another posters said, a property owner may be willing to bend on the price. They may also be willing to bend with size of pets with your pet references too. I hate the weigh limit. My dog is 65lb and is big baby. Yet some people's chihuahuas will rip a place to shreds. Maybe it has to do with insurance or something.

These folks look like they manage a bunch of properties Goldsmith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area