Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a (family) favorite place in the Greenville or close surrounding area(an hour drive) to go picking berries, peaches, apples, etc.

I was told there's a place between here and Spartanburg on WH/29 that you can pick berries at, but there's no name, or number, just that they are open Tues/Thurs/Sat I was told. Would like to have a place I can call to make sure they still have berries available to pick, the cost, hours, etc.

I read in the paper there's a place on Hwy 11, off Hwy 14 that you can pick peaches as well.

Also, is it really that much cheaper to go out and pick your own vs going to one of the fruit stands and buying them from there? Do you go for the experience and/or the savings of picking your own?

I have fond memories of going to my Grandparents cottage outside Rochester, New York. They had a place on Lake Ontario, and there was a place called Brown's Berry Farm. Not only did they have great berries/fruits to pick, they had an awesome ice cream parlor, great way to cool down after picking I'd like to find a place like this in the area to take people to during the season when they come to visit.

And does anyone know a family run roadside stand that you go to to get veggies, not a commercial type like Taylors, or Sandy Flats, just someone outside their home that sells the abundance of what they have to make some extra money. I remember people using the honor system way back when...or the kids sitting at the stand selling what Grandma grew.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Callaham Orchards, near Belton is a fun place to visit, pick berries/peaches/etc., pet the animals, mine for gems, and more. They regularly host school and daycare classes and are a popular treat for agritourists in SC.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,968 times
Strawberry Hill USA (aka Cooley Farms) is the place you are looking for! Out on Hwy. 11 in Chesnee. Great family outing. Berry/peach picking, ice cream parlor, etc.

Strawberry Hill U.S.A.

Were you one of the people interested in local Southern fare. If you take a trip up 14 to Strawberry Hill then you could grab a bite at The Junction Restaurant in Landrum - right at the intersections of Hwys. 11 and 14. Well-known local diner for country cooking and definitely a popular stop for folks heading up that way for hiking and such.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Callaham Orchards, near Belton is a fun place to visit, pick berries/peaches/etc., pet the animals, mine for gems, and more. They regularly host school and daycare classes and are a popular treat for agritourists in SC.
Definitely looks like a great place - will DEFINITELY be checking it out! Thanks for your input.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,969 times
Looks like this page has anything you'd need:

Where to find pick your own farms and orchards in South Carolina for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and Christmas trees.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Strawberry Hill USA (aka Cooley Farms) is the place you are looking for! Out on Hwy. 11 in Chesnee. Great family outing. Berry/peach picking, ice cream parlor, etc.

Strawberry Hill U.S.A.

Were you one of the people interested in local Southern fare. If you take a trip up 14 to Strawberry Hill then you could grab a bite at The Junction Restaurant in Landrum - right at the intersections of Hwys. 11 and 14. Well-known local diner for country cooking and definitely a popular stop for folks heading up that way for hiking and such.
The Junction is actually in Gowensville, near Motlow Creek Gardens. If you're in Landrum, check out The Hare and Hound pub.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
During apple picking season, the stretch of US 64 between I-26@Hendersonville & Bat Cave, NC is chock full of orchards & roadside stands selling just about every variety of fresh apples and apple products. It's only about 45min to an hour's drive each direction.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM

344 posts, read 816,670 times
Happy Berry Farm for blueberries- I've heard GREAT things about them, but you'd have to google them to find out the location. I want to say they are off Hwy 11, but I'm not totally sure.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM

344 posts, read 816,670 times
Oh, and for apples in the fall, you HAVE to visit Sky Top Apple Orchard. They are right at Flat Rock, NC. You get the most beautiful views, and they make homemade apple cider donuts, they have hayrides, etc. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Our family goes at least once every year.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

45 posts, read 81,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Does anyone have a (family) favorite place in the Greenville or close surrounding area(an hour drive) to go picking berries, peaches, apples, etc.

I was told there's a place between here and Spartanburg on WH/29 that you can pick berries at, but there's no name, or number, just that they are open Tues/Thurs/Sat I was told. Would like to have a place I can call to make sure they still have berries available to pick, the cost, hours, etc.

I read in the paper there's a place on Hwy 11, off Hwy 14 that you can pick peaches as well.

Also, is it really that much cheaper to go out and pick your own vs going to one of the fruit stands and buying them from there? Do you go for the experience and/or the savings of picking your own?

I have fond memories of going to my Grandparents cottage outside Rochester, New York. They had a place on Lake Ontario, and there was a place called Brown's Berry Farm. Not only did they have great berries/fruits to pick, they had an awesome ice cream parlor, great way to cool down after picking I'd like to find a place like this in the area to take people to during the season when they come to visit.

And does anyone know a family run roadside stand that you go to to get veggies, not a commercial type like Taylors, or Sandy Flats, just someone outside their home that sells the abundance of what they have to make some extra money. I remember people using the honor system way back when...or the kids sitting at the stand selling what Grandma grew.

Thanks for any input!

Hey, Brown's Berry Patch! I grew up very close to there- it's fun to have someone here mention it! The abundance of farmer's markets in Western NY is a fabulous part of living in that area. Like you said, there are markets run by local farms, as well as stands in front of people's houses, literally everywhere. It is one of the things I miss most about the Rochester area, particularly this time of year. It seems like in the Greenville area, you have to drive a bit further to find that. I've been wanting to go apple picking here in the Fall, but am bummed I would need to drive so far to do so.

To answer your question regarding PYO prices, I went to Sandy Flats to pick strawberries this summer, and it was slightly less expensive than purchasing them at the farmer's market. I think if you're going to just get a quart or two, it's probably not worth it. But if you plan on picking a lot (like I did, to do some canning), I thin it's financially worth it, plus it's fun, too. They also charge less if you bring your own bucket to pick instead of using one of theirs. Not sure about other places, but you could call ahead and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area