Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:03 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't let the employer know that, they frown on stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
My goodness. I live in the mountains of North Georgia where there are hardly any blacks to be seen. Yet somehow we have more than our fair share of unmarried mothers on welfare.

Both the mothers and the absentee fathers are white.

Such things are correlated with poverty and lack of opportunities. You could easily move to SC and have your children see derelict white boys not supporting their own children - especially in the more rural areas.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidsrenough4us View Post
I understand bi-racial couples/families are everywhere I just don't want it in my home. I still have that right don't I? There are over a million people in Philadelphia and it's everywhere I turn. The young girls here think its the cool thing to do.They get pregnant at a young age and the boyfriend runs for the hills and now she's on welfare and were footing the bill. So no I don't want my daughter seeing that and thinking it's normal or cool. I now realize I opened up a can of worms when I wrote that but that comment was not my original intent to post this thread. I asked about if the job market was stabilizing in the Greenville Spartanburg area.
Saying that you don't want your daughter ending up being a teenage mother is one thing. But saying there are interracial relationships in your family and you don't want your kids to see it and think that it is acceptable is a completely different story. That is racism pure and simple!

If you just wanted to know about the job market than you should have left the personal details about your disapproval of interracial relationships out of your comments. As the OP you started this thread therefore you are the one who determines what is discussed. Can't blame people for responding to the information that you post.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 AM

30 posts, read 77,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Saying that you don't want your daughter ending up being a teenage mother is one thing. But saying there are interracial relationships in your family and you don't want your kids to see it and think that it is acceptable is a completely different story. That is racism pure and simple!

If you just wanted to know about the job market than you should have left the personal details about your disapproval of interracial relationships out of your comments. As the OP you started this thread therefore you are the one who determines what is discussed. Can't blame people for responding to the information that you post.
Absolutely true! Thanks for everyone's responses

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 25,114 times
Default mixed feelings about this

I am moving my family to Spartanburg from PA. I am a PA native. I read this site every day hoping to build my enthusiasm for this move. Being from the north, I cringe when I read comments in which people couch racist sympathies within wider notions of preserving "Southern culture." When I read the first comment on this particular thread, I was so happy that I read it to my friends and family--a person would rather take a big economic risk by moving to SC than to stay economically comfortable (I assume) in PA. I found that to be encouraging. Then, when I read their reason for wanting to go, well, that just confirmed my fears--that this person would feel more at home in SC because of their assumptions/fear/hate of mixed couples and their children. And as for the person who wrote that it was a lifestyle choice and that we should help the person move to SC, have you thought through what you are saying? Nevertheless, I found other people's comments heartening, as clearly there are more enlightened, gentle, and kind viewpoints there. Still, I worry that the original poster would feel that upstate SC is a comfortable environment for their sort of thinking. I would feel this way regardless of my family's racial composition. As it happens, we are a biracial family, and we are most definitely not on welfare. My wife and I both have graduate degrees and have found jobs there already.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 AM

696 posts, read 1,336,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiabloodlines View Post
I am moving my family to Spartanburg from PA. I am a PA native. I read this site every day hoping to build my enthusiasm for this move. Being from the north, I cringe when I read comments in which people couch racist sympathies within wider notions of preserving "Southern culture." When I read the first comment on this particular thread, I was so happy that I read it to my friends and family--a person would rather take a big economic risk by moving to SC than to stay economically comfortable (I assume) in PA. I found that to be encouraging. Then, when I read their reason for wanting to go, well, that just confirmed my fears--that this person would feel more at home in SC because of their assumptions/fear/hate of mixed couples and their children. And as for the person who wrote that it was a lifestyle choice and that we should help the person move to SC, have you thought through what you are saying? Nevertheless, I found other people's comments heartening, as clearly there are more enlightened, gentle, and kind viewpoints there. Still, I worry that the original poster would feel that upstate SC is a comfortable environment for their sort of thinking. I would feel this way regardless of my family's racial composition. As it happens, we are a biracial family, and we are most definitely not on welfare. My wife and I both have graduate degrees and have found jobs there already.
I think instead of being overly concerned by the OP's comments, you should consider the responses to those comments. That's where I believe you'll find a truer sentiment regarding biracial (and gay and lesbian) couples. The fact that everyone who responded seemed appalled at the OP's comments should speak volumes.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 AM

477 posts, read 841,548 times
@californiabloodlines:

I understand your concerns but since I am also not from here and do not agree with any kind of racism or discrimination I can assure you without being biased that you will not find more racist people in Greenville than anywhere else. I would not worry too much. If you move to a newer neighborhood in this area, your neighbors will most likely not be from here anyway and you will find quite a variety of people.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times
Quote:
I am moving my family to Spartanburg from PA. I am a PA native. I read this site every day hoping to build my enthusiasm for this move. Being from the north, I cringe when I read comments in which people couch racist sympathies within wider notions of preserving "Southern culture." When I read the first comment on this particular thread, I was so happy that I read it to my friends and family--a person would rather take a big economic risk by moving to SC than to stay economically comfortable (I assume) in PA. I found that to be encouraging. Then, when I read their reason for wanting to go, well, that just confirmed my fears--that this person would feel more at home in SC because of their assumptions/fear/hate of mixed couples and their children. And as for the person who wrote that it was a lifestyle choice and that we should help the person move to SC, have you thought through what you are saying ? Nevertheless, I found other people's comments heartening, as clearly there are more enlightened, gentle, and kind viewpoints there. Still, I worry that the original poster would feel that upstate SC is a comfortable environment for their sort of thinking. I would feel this way regardless of my family's racial composition. As it happens, we are a biracial family, and we are most definitely not on welfare. My wife and I both have graduate degrees and have found jobs there already.
Completely agree with you!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM

123 posts, read 437,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidsrenough4us View Post
I have a friend in Cowpens that wouldn't mind using his address but how can I use his address still say I'm employed in Philadelphia? You have to live in the city to work for the city so we can't get any land here. I just hate living here, were all miserable. Our family gets on our nerves and everyone is in everyone's business. We also have bi-racial couples in our family having children and we don't want our children seeing that in our family and thinking that's acceptable. Sorry if that sounds racist but that's how we feel and want our children to be true to their roots.
If you want to move to SC because you don't want to see interracial couples then you are going to be very disappointed because there are interracial couples everywhere.

My niece is bi-racial. She's an absolute sweetheart and is so beautiful that she could have a career in modeling if she wanted to. Instead, she's an honor student and is pursuing a law degree because she wants to be a prosecutor so she can help people (especially children) who are victims of crime and abuse. My family and I love her dearly and are very proud of her. We couldn't care less if you or anyone else find her acceptable or not because we know that Almighty God is the one who ultimately created her and He is the one that declared that she was "fearfully and wonderfully made" and was "precious in His sight". If you have a problem with her then you need to take it up with Him.

SC is 30% black. I don't think you'd be happy here. If you really want to raise your kids that way, my suggestion for you is to move to Idaho and find one of those separatist groups to join. If you're on a compound and never leave then you will have no worries about ever being offended by an interracial couple.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM

123 posts, read 437,611 times
Quote:
It's not. I'm a native South Carolinian and I can assure that her attitude does not reflect the majority of the population. Are there racists here? Yes. But no more than anywhere else. It's just that the racists in the South tend to be a little more vocal than the ones in California or New York. To be brutally honest, most of the racists I've encountered tend to be uneducated, impoverished and live in trailer parks or in run-down, dilapidated housing. Avoid areas like that and you won't have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area