Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

How about this solution: put the bike trail through the woods near Pleasantburg Drive and have two or three connections going to Parkins Mills Road. That way Parkins Mills Road residents who want the trail can still utilize it by using the current sidewalks and connection points without having people going through their front yards. This same type of solution has been done along the current section built and seems to be working great.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-28-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
How about this solution: put the bike trail through the woods near Pleasantburg Drive and have two or three connections going to Parkins Mills Road. That way Parkins Mills Road residents who want the trail can still utilize it by using the current sidewalks and connection points without having people going through their front yards. This same type of solution has been done along the current section built and seems to be working great.
Now yer talkin'.

What Greenville needs is a system of trails, paths, and lanes - not a single trail. Yeah, yeah, I know there are a few paths and lanes around, but they're disjointed, random, and not very usable.

In Fort Collins, CO, e.g., there are bike trails and paths all over town - including ones in front of houses, behind houses, near businesses, golf courses (fencing protects riders from errant golf balls), along creeks, along roads, etc., with little spurs going off into particular neighborhoods. Accidents do happen, but aren't common. Property values are actually helped with access to the trails and paths.

A system of trails takes the load off of any single part, which would help convince any NIMBY's and NIMFY's out there that a path in front or behind their homes is a good thing.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
A system is exactly what is being developed. Preliminary discussion and even some planning for other trails/routes and connections already exists. Considering nothing noteworthy existed a few years ago, progress is clearly evident.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,147 times
Default Let's look at all the options before we eliminate any of them

I can understand the concerns of the folks who don't want the trail in their front yard. All change can be difficult but it's important to let the facts speak before a direction is chosen.

Re: property value concerns, crime concerns etc. there are ample studies out there that suggest values go up without a corresponding increase in crime.

128.175.63.72/projects/DOCUMENTS/bikepathfinal.pdf

www.downtowngreenway.org/.../Rail_ (broken link)Trails_and_safe_communities.pdf

atfiles.org/files/pdf/LittleMiamiPropValue.pdf

I am a PM resident and I'm not set any one route, but unless the Pleasantburg route is in the woods or protected by concrete barricades, you're asking for someone to get killed by the 50mph traffic.

I personally like the river bank route with a spur giving access to the Parkins Mill /Gower folks. It would be a good time to put in regular sidewalks along Parkins Mill all the way to Mauldin Rd. so the many neighborhood kids can move about without being in danger.

The bottom line is that an incomplete trail is not an option and I invite those that oppose the Parkins Mill route to come forward with ideas on how we can get the trail completed in way that is win-win. No one can deny that it has been a huge asset to the city and it has helped bring new companies and jobs to town.

If you feel the same way, you can join the "Bring the Swamp Rabbit Trail to Gower Parkins Mill" facebook group Log In | Facebook

Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa1 View Post
I can understand the concerns of the folks who don't want the trail in their front yard. All change can be difficult but it's important to let the facts speak before a direction is chosen.

Re: property value concerns, crime concerns etc. there are ample studies out there that suggest values go up without a corresponding increase in crime.

128.175.63.72/projects/DOCUMENTS/bikepathfinal.pdf

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green....org/.../Rail_Trails_and_safe_communities.pdf

atfiles.org/files/pdf/LittleMiamiPropValue.pdf

I am a PM resident and I'm not set any one route, but unless the Pleasantburg route is in the woods or protected by concrete barricades, you're asking for someone to get killed by the 50mph traffic.

I personally like the river bank route with a spur giving access to the Parkins Mill /Gower folks. It would be a good time to put in regular sidewalks along Parkins Mill all the way to Mauldin Rd. so the many neighborhood kids can move about without being in danger.

The bottom line is that an incomplete trail is not an option and I invite those that oppose the Parkins Mill route to come forward with ideas on how we can get the trail completed in way that is win-win. No one can deny that it has been a huge asset to the city and it has helped bring new companies and jobs to town.

If you feel the same way, you can join the "Bring the Swamp Rabbit Trail to Gower Parkins Mill" facebook group Log In | Facebook
The problem with the river route, is the Greenville Country Club. They have explicitly made it known that the trail is not welcome on their property for safety reasons of flying golf balls. It is going to have to either go down Pleasantburg or Parkins Mill in order to reconnect back to the Reedy. Otherwise running it behind the businesses on Pleasantburg will offer a place where no one is watching after 5pm. Thus, a potential for crime does exist. Eyes need to be on the trail for safety. It needs to be near a road, and Parkins Mill is the most safe of the options.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
The problem with the river route, is the Greenville Country Club. They have explicitly made it known that the trail is not welcome on their property for safety reasons of flying golf balls. It is going to have to either go down Pleasantburg or Parkins Mill in order to reconnect back to the Reedy. Otherwise running it behind the businesses on Pleasantburg will offer a place where no one is watching after 5pm. Thus, a potential for crime does exist. Eyes need to be on the trail for safety. It needs to be near a road, and Parkins Mill is the most safe of the options.
I agree that the river route through the golf course is DOA but the river route below Pleasantburg is very viable.

As to your assertion that the route behind the businesses on P'burg is unsafe, I humbly dissagree. There are many sections of the SR north of downtown that are in the woods or away from plain sight. These sections have not had any increase in crime to my knowledge.

If you have data to suggest otherwise, please share it, I open to having my mind changed.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
As to your assertion that the route behind the businesses on P'burg is unsafe, I humbly dissagree. There are many sections of the SR north of downtown that are in the woods or away from plain sight. These sections have not had any increase in crime to my knowledge.

If you have data to suggest otherwise, please share it, I open to having my mind changed.
It's just a simple fact that more eyes on an area make you safer. This goes back to Jane Jacobs in the 60's and criticism of public housing projects from that time.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I read your recent post and I agree that more eyes= safer BUT your point above is that the "potential for crime does exist". At the risk of getting nit-picky, the potential for crime is everywhere but that's an inherent risk of a free society. Murders, thefts and rapes occur on university campuses but few would suggest we do away with universities.

All I'm saying is let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and eliminate the route between the golfcourse and the Pleasantburg businesses because of the potential for crime. There are other un-secured sections of the trail that, to my knowledge, have not been havens for crime.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I read your recent post and I agree that more eyes= safer BUT your point above is that the "potential for crime does exist". At the risk of getting nit-picky, the potential for crime is everywhere but that's an inherent risk of a free society. Murders, thefts and rapes occur on university campuses but few would suggest we do away with universities.

All I'm saying is let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and eliminate the route between the golfcourse and the Pleasantburg businesses because of the potential for crime. There are other un-secured sections of the trail that, to my knowledge, have not been havens for crime.
I agree. However, when an alternative exists that can open the trail up for many more people (AND has the benefit of NOT being hidden from the street), I think it should be pursued.

With the routes that avoid Parkins Mill Rd, we are asking a large population of residents (who are also paying for the trail) to try and reach the trail by streets that do not have sidewalks or bike lanes. This greatly limits their access, do you not agree? Bike lanes do not currently exist in the Parkins Mill area, and the sidewalk on Parkins Mill stops at Barksdale. That's a LONG way for residents to go in order to reach the River, and the potential trail. If I'm going to pay for it, I'd like to have access without having to get in my car, or risk my life biking or walking around blind corners.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 PM

177 posts, read 470,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstewart1 View Post
From my experience, rabbit trail bikers are always courteous and pleasant. I use it a lot around Travelers Rest and Furman and I've never felt unsafe or worried. Of course there are always exceptions but I'm not sure what they are afraid of.

And with low-cost, eco-friendly travel like biking becoming increasingly popular, I would be quite surprised if it lowered home values.
I quit going on the trail because bikers do not follow the rules. The are supposed to announce their presence when coming upon walkers. While some do, the majority don't say a work and whiz by. The immediate reaction is for a walker to turn towards the noise. The section I am referring to is from TR to Sulfur Springs.

I have found in general bikers expect everyone to accept them and put up with them, yet they seldom return the favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area