Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 AM

37 posts, read 73,625 times

Advertisements

We just got back from making a offer on a house in GV and my wife and I both thought that the Greenville News was a very small paper for the size of the area that it covers. Is there a larger paper in the state that people in GV read or do people just get there news online. We are very happy to be moving from COAL HELL WV so I am not complaning just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times
Go to greenvilleonline.com. You can subscribe by the article or do an online subscription.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,115,629 times
I looked in to getting the paper for delivery and found it to be very expensive, especially for the size. I think people are just not reading the paper like they use to. I would think it's mostly the older crowd, like my neighbor, who still read it. In SOFLA they keep raising the prices of The Miami Herald to a point I stopped getting delivery, as many did. Less readers, less advertisers, less income - a vicious cycle. Hate reading papers on line, on the darned thing enough as it is. Like having a newspaper in hand, cup of coffee and sitting back and reading, not being on the computer.

I know they have at least the Sunday paper for a $1 a week but I still haven't subscribed

Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,642,588 times
OP, you spelled the "Greenville Snooze" wrong.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM

83 posts, read 154,129 times
A lot of Greenvillians read the Post and Courier (Charleston) or The State (Columbia) to add a different perspective to the Greenville News.
We also have The Greenville Journal, which is much more journalistic (ha) in nature, and usually a great read.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,414,005 times
I only subscribe to the Sunday Greenville News. Typically I pull the paper out of the bag, yank out the circulars and coupons, and the rest of the paper just sits there until I feel like throwing it away. I mean, I've already heard or read 90% of those stories by then anyway.

I'd be amazed if the Greenville News hasn't seen tremendous losses since going to a subscription based website.

Companies and industries that truly believe "business is bad, so we have to charge more" deserve to fail. Airlines, print media, etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 AM

899 posts, read 2,276,381 times
To answer your question, the Greenville News is the major daily newspaper in Greenville (there is not a larger one serving the Greenville area). There is also the Spartanburg Herald-Journal and Anderson Independent-Mail which are also major daily newspapers but serving smaller communities.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,564,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvilleGB View Post
A lot of Greenvillians read the Post and Courier (Charleston) or The State (Columbia) to add a different perspective to the Greenville News.
Yea, those are instate alternatives, but still about on par with The Greenville News, IMO. If you want a different perspective, they might have it, but they're not going to offer the BIG paper like the OP is asking about.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 AM

5,517 posts, read 15,285,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I'd be amazed if the Greenville News hasn't seen tremendous losses since going to a subscription based website.

Companies and industries that truly believe "business is bad, so we have to charge more" deserve to fail. Airlines, print media, etc.
AMEN! Daily printed newspapers are a thing of the past anyway, as everyone should know by now. It has taken some companies longer to realize this, but they are slowly being squeezed into submission by the latest trends in interactive media technology. Some of the best sources for news these days are social media sites on the Internet. Twitter is hard to beat for breaking news. For example, follow @TotalTrafficGSP for updated traffic incident reports in the metro area. Most news organizations, businesses, government entities/politicians, artists, churches, event organizers, etc., post valuable info on twitter.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

745 posts, read 2,223,597 times
Too bad- I love reading the newspaper and doing the puzzles. I can get my news on-line, for free, no less. When the Greenville News started charging for their website, I crossed them off my list. I guess I could down-load and print off puzzles, but it's more fine trying to decipher a Crytoquote with a lingerie ad distracting you. Ah- 'progress'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area