U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

915 posts, read 2,233,183 times

Advertisements

Ooh, I like this thread.

Here's my yankee trail to the south...

Michigan, Connecticut, Maryland, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania (2 cities), then South Carolina. The Greenville area is actually the longest place I have ever lived (about 9 years, 3 months now).

Met my future wife 5 days after I moved here, and we bought our first house in the Five Forks area. Sold that house 3.5 years later, and bought another in the Five Forks area off of Woodruff Road.

Love it. No matter how much people complain about Woodruff Road, it still doesn't trump my ability to get to just about every restaurant and store in 10 minutes. Heck, I can get to Main Street in Greenville at 6pm on a Thursday in 18 minutes! 18 minutes in the other direction gets me to just about anywhere on Fairview Road. Again, love it!

Last edited by ckeegan; 08-04-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM

344 posts, read 744,732 times
I was born here, raised in Wade Hampton Gardens (near Wade Hampton High School), lived in Tigerville while I went to North Greenville, and then an apartment off of Pelham Rd near 85. I moved to Daytona Beach, FL for a couple of years while my husband finished school in FL, and then we moved to metro DC (Northern VA) for a couple of years for jobs. The company we worked for (Atlantic Coast Airlines/Independence Air) eventually went out of business, so we decided to move back to Greenville. We lived in the Greer (Suber Rd) area for a few years before moving to Spartanburg to be closer to his base in Charlotte. We lived there for 2 years, hated it, and moved back to Greer (near Batesville/Pelham and 85) this past January. Greer is our absolute favorite place in the Greenville area.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,499,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Ooh, I like this thread.

Love it. No matter how much people complain about Woodruff Road, it still doesn't trump my ability to get to just about every restaurant and store in 10 minutes.
Agreed. That's why i live near the 385 exit / butler road. People ccomplain about Woodruff Road traffic but this side of Mauldin beats 90% of Greenville

And as you said, Fairview is a beath of fresh air when you just want to goto a new area.

And EVERYTHING is new on this side of town.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 286,809 times
I have lived in three areas of Greenville. First in some apartments in the N. Main area when I was little, a few years near Travelers Rest, and back in the city limits in the Wade Hampton Blvd. area.

The laid back attitude around TR and the mountain views were good, but everything is near by where I am now.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,962,625 times
We're in Mauldin now, but spent the first 18 years of life in Oklahoma, and the last 20 or so years in the Tampa Bay Florida area.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 AM

212 posts, read 447,220 times
We are moving to Greenville as soon as our home sells. My husband starts his Greenville job on Monday morning. He is able to work remotely until our home sells. We are looking into moving to the east side of Greenville. We visited last week and drove down woodruff rd. I must say I was prepared for traffic craziness with all the talk on city data, but was pleasantly surprised that the traffic was not bad at all compared to columbus ohio areas. Its def. doable. We love the older subdivisions on the east side. Greenville is so beautiful. Cant wait to call it home.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 AM

5,893 posts, read 11,852,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Great Responses! I feel like we're bonding. Keep it up!

Thanks for that Swamp Rabbit Trail link! I'm going to have to try these trails.
Speaking of bonding, I'm just curious. . . .Has there ever been any kind of local City-Data get-together?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM

6,419 posts, read 20,314,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Speaking of bonding, I'm just curious. . . .Has there ever been any kind of local City-Data get-together?
Not that I am aware of.

We live on the SW side of Mauldin, just inside city limits. We moved here from Chicago exactly 8 yrs and 2 months ago. Its funny that we settled in the SW side here cause thats where we were in Chicago too. I became an adult in Chicago but lived in lots of different towns with my parents when I was a kid, including Atlanta and Nashville.

One of the biggest complaints people have with Greenville is traffic. I was stuck in a traffic jam on 385 yesterday; it took 10 mins to get through it. That happens in Chicago rarely.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 PM

50 posts, read 85,829 times
I just moved to Greenville from Greenwood. Currently renting a house outside of the Cherrydale area. Actually I'm really close to Traveler's Rest. 5 minutes from their Wal-Mart. No complaints so far.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:40 PM

12,285 posts, read 28,655,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Actually, I've seen it done on other forums. They pick out a local place, bar, restaurant, park, etc to meet up. It's not a bad idea and it's lots of fun. We did a small one here in FL during Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area