Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,754,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossBoss View Post
Can i ask you if you are moving to another SC location? Or out of state & why? Do you have a home with or without acreage? If so. Where? Just curious!
Me?

Our long-term goal is to move to NC. We like it there better than here. It's more appealing in a lot of ways, but mainly just plain visually. NC is prettier than SC. Yeah, it's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The taxes are also lower here, but like I said, you get what you pay for.

We rent in the N. Main area. We didn't buy so that we could move quickly when the time comes. But when we do move, we hope to have some acreage.

We almost bought a home that came up for sale near us. It was put on the market on a Friday, we went to the open house on Sunday, and there was an offer on it (from a real estate agent) by 11:00 in the morning on Monday (when I called about it). It was a screaming good deal, and could have been flipped if the buyer wanted. But other than that rare great deal, I wouldn't buy around here as we do not intend to stay long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,754,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
As a counterpoint, I have recently runs stats for clients on neighborhoods where the average time on market is less than 75 days over the past 12 months.

Overall, the average days on market for resale homes in the Greater Greenville area was 160.4 days for homes sold in 2nd quarter, which is far better than the national average.

That is cumulative days on market, so removing the house from the market, and putting it right back on would have no effect.
That all sounds about right. There are a lot of reasons to move to this area. I think the cheap housing may be the best reason. There are a ton of cheap houses here.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM

915 posts, read 2,414,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
That all sounds about right. There are a lot of reasons to move to this area. I think the cheap housing may be the best reason. There are a ton of cheap houses here.
or reasonable, whichever you prefer.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM

5,518 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Cheap housing should never be considered "the best reason to move" to anywhere. Most of the people who relocated to the Greenville area considered it an additional incentive, but were primarily motivated by other attractive incentives.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM

45 posts, read 80,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Cheap housing should never be considered "the best reason to move" to anywhere. Most of the people who relocated to the Greenville area considered it an additional incentive, but were primarily motivated by other attractive incentives.

Well, cost of living (of which inexpensive housing is a primary part) was a major reason we moved to Greenville. When my husband was considering various jobs, the price of houses in Greenville (by that I mean, the ability to purchase a nice house, with an easy commute, in a decent school district) was much less expensive than other areas. Including other areas we preferred over Greenville for various reasons (liked the town better, more walkable, more aesthetically pleasing to us, better schools, friend and family in those locations, etc.). We've lived other places that are much more walkable, have more history and charm in our opinions, better schools, etc., but frankly, it would have been difficult for me to be a stay at home mom there (and husband really likes his job here), so we made the decision to move to Greenville.

You're right- in an ideal world, cheap housing wouldn't be the best or primary reason someone moves to a specific place, and people would be able to move based solely on where they want to live for personal reasons. But, realistically, when budget considerations are factored in, cost of living issues (including housing), often determine where people move. Like I said, Greenville's cost of living enables me to be a stay at home mom, and that's hard to do in many other areas of the country, and it's one of the things I appreciate most about this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area