Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

What do you do during the winter months for fun? I know during the warmer months there are alot festivals and activities put on by the city through October. After that, what else is going on?

I would think skiing/ tubing would be one being it's so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
I golf.

The only ski area near here is one bunny run, covered in ice. I might be a bit jaded though, as I used to snowboard daily in Colorado.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM

344 posts, read 816,374 times
Skiing in Boone, NC is good (for this side of the country), and it's about 3 hours from here. During the fall months, we go apple picking, hiking, and camping. Actually, we do a lot of outdoor stuff all through the winter- there's a good many milder days where it isn't too cold to be outside. I love the activities that are downtown during the holidays, too. We have younger kids, so we make use of the indoor bounce house businesses a few times in the winter, too.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Winter is a great time to hike, as the trees have no leaves, so the views are wonderful. Cycle, hike, camp, weekends at a mountain cabin. Our boat has an enclosed cabin, so we still take it out on Hartwell all winter long. Winter is the time the concert season heats up at Peace Center. Road Warriors ice hockey games. The downtown restaurant scene is better in the winter IMO......hot drinks, fires in fireplaces for the restaurants that have them, gas heaters on the patios. Holiday shopping. Football. At the end of fall, the whole apple trail thing in Hendersonville. Plenty of wintertime festivals like the downtown Holiday Market. Brunch and Bloody Marys (soooo much better in the winter).

Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM

OOOHH, camping We have a travel trailer and love to camp. A nice cozy fire and hot chocolate are great. I like the idea that some of the restaurants have fireplaces or heaters on the outdoor patios. I love the holiday events as well as seeing all the holiday decorations. I'd love to see the holiday market.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
OOOHH, camping We have a travel trailer and love to camp. A nice cozy fire and hot chocolate are great. I like the idea that some of the restaurants have fireplaces or heaters on the outdoor patios. I love the holiday events as well as seeing all the holiday decorations. I'd love to see the holiday market.
We are seriously considering getting a travel trailer in the next year or so. I might have to hit you up for info (best places, etc) when we do!

As for the best winter restaurant (i.e. fireplaces, coziness, etc), it's truly hard to beat The Peddler in my opinion. My wife and I have been holding onto a gift card since March, just so we can use it this winter!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
We are seriously considering getting a travel trailer in the next year or so. I might have to hit you up for info (best places, etc) when we do!

As for the best winter restaurant (i.e. fireplaces, coziness, etc), it's truly hard to beat The Peddler in my opinion. My wife and I have been holding onto a gift card since March, just so we can use it this winter!
No problem, you can't go wrong with one. Ours is a 23 foot 2003 Pioneer. It has everything from a shower to a full size stove. It sleeps up to 6 ppl. It's not a big investment either. You can pick up a used one up on Craigslist or Ebay really cheap. Sometimes people use it a couple times and decide it's not for them. It's practically new then. Mine was used for a couple months by someone working for FEMA after we had all those hurricanes.

The most important thing is to make sure it doesn't have any leaks or the floor isn't soft.

We'll have to check out the Peddler in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area