Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,155,971 times

Advertisements

What are some recommendations for campgrounds 2 hours or less from Greenville? Also, ones that have activities going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,896,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What are some recommendations for campgrounds 2 hours or less from Greenville? Also, ones that have activities going on.
If you like primitive camping, the best IMO are about and hour and a half north. Just outside the town of Brevard, NC at the entrance to the Pisgah National Forest. All the sites are very private and most are situated right beside a mountain stream. Huge trees. Beautiful spot.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM

344 posts, read 818,564 times
For a hike in site, we love Jones Gap. They have beautiful sites right along the river. The last time we went there, our site was about 1/2 mile hike up the trail- not bad at all and the site was awesome. Jones Gap is great for day hikes, as well.

We also camp yearly with friends in October (and sometimes in April). Our current favorite spot is in Devils Fork State Park on Lake Jocassee. It's a beautiful clear mountain lake- gorgeous views, gorgeous lake. We have to reserve our site 6 months or so in advance because the sites we like fill up quickly. Devils Fork has car camping sites, tent sites that require a little bit of a walk to get to, and I think they also have primitive sites. There are a few hiking trails within Devils Fork, and White Water Falls is a short drive up the road.

I also agree with Gsupstate about Pisgah National Forest. We've never camped there, but that was the next area that we were going to try out. We've done a lot of the outdoor activities in Pisgah, but haven't camped there yet. We love Jocassee, but we thought maybe we should mix up our camping routine a little at some point. The Pisgah area is awesome- some places to check out are Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock. We've also done a couple of field trips in that area with our kids- one to the Cradle of Forestry and another to the Pisgah Wildlife Center.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 AM

807 posts, read 1,790,142 times
If you want to be near the water you can check out South Cove (Lake Keowee) or Devils Fork (Lake Jocassee). Not sure about activities but they do have campgrounds. You can also google State Parks in SC & find more info.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 AM

672 posts, read 2,118,768 times
I recommend Paris Mtn State Park right in Greenville. They have programs going on a lot and it's a beautiful place. I like Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park too.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 AM

696 posts, read 1,339,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
If you like primitive camping, the best IMO are about and hour and a half north. Just outside the town of Brevard, NC at the entrance to the Pisgah National Forest. All the sites are very private and most are situated right beside a mountain stream. Huge trees. Beautiful spot.
Absolutely agree. Especially now with the heat, there are great places to get away, get in the river, and cool off.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,896,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I recommend Paris Mtn State Park right in Greenville. They have programs going on a lot and it's a beautiful place. I like Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park too.
Yep. Great suggestion that sometimes gets overlooked. Many locals do day hikes there, but I think they forget about camping with it being just minutes away and so close to home.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:04 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,155,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Yep. Great suggestion that sometimes gets overlooked. Many locals do day hikes there, but I think they forget about camping with it being just minutes away and so close to home.
I had no idea they have camping. We'll have to check it out. Is there swimming there and a beach?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 PM

344 posts, read 818,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I had no idea they have camping. We'll have to check it out. Is there swimming there and a beach?
There is a lifeguarded swim area there in the summer- it's small, but enjoyable. I don't recall there being much of a beach.

Lake Jocassee and Devils Fork State Park have nice beach areas, and the water is super clean and clear. The link for Devils Fork is: About This Park - Devils Fork State Park - South Carolina State Parks

Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM

385 posts, read 1,115,997 times
At Paris Mountain, the hike-in sites along the north lake are really nice. The north lake (lake 3), is really my favorite place in the park. To get there I think you take the Pipsissewa Trail and part of the Sulphur Springs Loop. Here is a link about the north lake:

Hiking/Mt. Biking Trail

I also agree about the campsites in Pisgah outside of Brevard. I camped there once and had a good time. The Davidson River and the forest are really pretty. Plus the campsite is convenient to Brevard and many hiking trails, as well as the the black balsam area along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area