Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 17,692 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Greenville and was trying to remember the name of an old store where my mother used to shop. This would have been in the 1960's and maybe the 1970's. It was downtown on Main Street and was a discount store. I remember there being big tables with boxes of clothing on them. You would have to rummage through the pile to get what you wanted. Does anyone know the name of the store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,206 times
That description could describe several places. Even stores like Belks, or Meyers-Arnold had discounted clothes. I remember my mom looking through the piles of clothing on the basement discount tables at one of those stores back in the 60s. I think it was Belks but they both probably had the same setup.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM

I was discussing this with my family at the beach last week. My mother, now in her 80s, couldn't remember the store name. We concluded it was an independent store -- not Belk or Meyers-Arnold.

I might be thinking about a different store with this tid-bit of info but it seems that they had a "flea market" as well because I remember wondering, as a small child, why they would sell fleas.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM

40 posts, read 110,257 times
I used to go to that store with my Mom too! She said it was "The Dollar Store", no affiliation with the current Dollar Stores. I recall the wooden tables, it had a basement, main level, and then a third floor. I recall the creeky wooden floors and straight pins everywhere! I can specifically recall sitting on the floor in the "Dressing Room" playing with straight pins. I wonder if it is where Mast General Store is now?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,032 times
Woolworth?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 19,824 times
The Leader?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Maybe it was called "The Dollar Store" but that still doesn't seem right. I remember the creaky floors and pins! I think Mast General is in the old Meyers-Arnold bldg.

Not Woolworth and I don't recognize the name "Leader". Does anyone have access to an old downtown map that would show store names?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 AM

You know fromma, the more I think about it, the more I think it may have been The Dollar Store. I'm asking my mother if that sounds correct. I did find out that there is a store that was called that in downtown, and that same building houses a place called "Creative Health & Nutrition". The address is 14 S. Main. Take a look on Google Street View.

Does this look like the store you remember as the Dollar Store?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM

40 posts, read 110,257 times
That does kind of look like it, I need to walk around and see if the floor squeaks, ha, ha! I recall the floors like it was yesterday. For some reason I think there was a back entrance too, but I might be wrong about that. Did you ask your Mom if that was the name? My Mom swears it was.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

I love squeaky floors to this day. I'm certain this store had something to do with that. I'll let you know what I hear from my mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area