U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 AM

212 posts, read 394,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! Drjoann, thanks for the link to the mountain homes. That's very close to what I have in mind. We are very familiar with energy costs, termites, etc. and we have lived in homes with brick, stucco, and wood siding (actually hardiplank) and none were significantly different as far as cost or upkeep. We will be building a very energy efficient home.

I found an example of the style I like:

Listing Details (http://austinhomesearch.com/Search/Details.aspx?li=218204&or=1&cp=1# - broken link)

It's not exactly what I'm looking for, just the first one that came close.

When we decide which lake we like and purchase a lot, I guess we'll be the first on the block to build something different. I'm fine with that. And I definitely understand about the lack of zoning and will be very careful with the neighborhood, although I hate the planned neighborhoods with all the "great amenities". I don't forsee using a clubhouse so I really don't want to pay for one!
You can find homes like that on the lakes here. I have seen several that are similar in style. I did trimwork on new construction in the mid 2000's around the Upstate, and I think you will eventually find what you are looking for, or will find yourself in good company if you build something similar on one of the lakes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM

47 posts, read 91,776 times
@beckycat - it's priced about the same as any other fiber cement siding like Hardiboard. Installers seem to like it better because it is thicker than hardiboad & I think it is easier to handle. Nichiha has a range of transparent stains or you can get unstained and have someone like Carolina Colortones do a custom stain (They use the same Duck products that Nichiha uses).

Because our house is Shingle Style inspired, we have flares over the foundation, the face of the gambrel roof also has a curved surface & there are no cornerboards so they did mitered corners rather than a "weave". It all came out beautifully even though the siding is fiber cement rather than wood.

If you want more info, PM me.

HTH - Jo ann
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area