Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 06:00 PM

10,117 posts, read 7,785,738 times

Advertisements

When you have company come to the area to visit for the first time, what type of feedback do you get? What do they like about Greenville? What do they dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,192,565 times
We just had family here two weeks ago from Montreal and Florida. My BIL from Montreal and his GF loved the the DT, loved Falls Park, said it was the prettiest DT they'd been to, and also commented on how clean it was there. They also were surprised at how many restaurants there were along Wade Hampton, but I can't say whether it was a negative or positive They loved the restaurants we took them to. My BIL said they can't get good BBQ or Mexican food in Montreal, so we took them to Bucky's and Papas & Beer - they loved both. Commented on how many churchs there seemed to be. My SIL and her BF loved that there was so much to do in the area and surrounding areas - they'll be back next month. I can't think there was anything they said they disliked from the time they were here, what we did, and what we saw. Others have come and gone as well, and really, the only comment I've heard that could be a negative was how places were closed on a Monday, or didn't open til 1pm on a Sunday, (if at all) or seemed to close early (like to get a late night bite on a weekday, found many places close by 10pm) But of course, this is from those who live in a very large metropolitan city where things seem to be open 24/7-they're use to having it all, in other words, spoiled.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,554,265 times
My Mom always comments on how friendly the people are here... And she's originally from Mississippi!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM

477 posts, read 841,837 times
Just had my mom here for 3 weeks. It was her first time ever in the U.S. She really enjoyed the weather even though it was a little too hot for her in the beginning. She really liked Lake Jocassee and the mountains and waterfalls around Brevard. She also thought that Falls park and Main Street in Greenville were very nice places. What shocked her was the way people drive here and the condition of the roads. When we were driving on the highway she said the roads look like they used to look like in East Germany 30 years ago. I told her that if you live here you have to get used to bad roads and bad drivers because neither is gonna be gone soon.

Overall, a nice stay for her.

Last edited by Toto7SC; 09-19-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,554,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
We just had family here two weeks ago from Montreal and Florida. My BIL from Montreal and his GF loved the the DT, loved Falls Park, said it was the prettiest DT they'd been to, and also commented on how clean it was there. They also were surprised at how many restaurants there were along Wade Hampton, but I can't say whether it was a negative or positive They loved the restaurants we took them to. My BIL said they can't get good BBQ or Mexican food in Montreal, so we took them to Bucky's and Papas & Beer - they loved both. Commented on how many churchs there seemed to be. My SIL and her BF loved that there was so much to do in the area and surrounding areas - they'll be back next month. I can't think there was anything they said they disliked from the time they were here, what we did, and what we saw. Others have come and gone as well, and really, the only comment I've heard that could be a negative was how places were closed on a Monday, or didn't open til 1pm on a Sunday, (if at all) or seemed to close early (like to get a late night bite on a weekday, found many places close by 10pm) But of course, this is from those who live in a very large metropolitan city where things seem to be open 24/7-they're use to having it all, in other words, spoiled.
I'm not originally from here, but I was raised in the South. I'd have to say though that in many cities I've lived in, many of the better restaurants were closed on Mondays - I just thought it was like that everywhere! There are many places open past 10pm, but most of those are diner-type places (Denny's, Waffle House, etc); if I'm looking for a late night bite, that's the type food usually crave anyway. I personally don't look to Travinia or Rick Erwin's, etc. when the late night hunger pangs hit!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 09-19-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,949,204 times
I live in a Chicago suburb, and there are still some restaurants that close on Mondays around the western suburbs ... it's not just a Southern thing, Mondays are generally slow days for restaurants so it's a good day to give the staff time off. It's different in big cities where they can pack people in 24/7.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM

10,117 posts, read 7,785,738 times
My guests always comment on downtown and how pretty and clean it is. I get the friendly comments a lot. I even thought that myself when I first moved here. I've worked at a few places since I've lived here and I can't complain about none of them because the people that I've always worked with have been so friendly and nice.

I had a friend come from the DC area and she was so funny to hear her tell the story about her grocery store visit. She thought is was so strange for the cashier to ask how she was. She was taken aback. That's not something she's used to.

People love the Swamp Rabbit Trail also. I do too!!

People seem to love how clean the city is and all the rocks, hills and houses with some stone siding.

The only negative I can think of that I've heard from a guest is the traffic on Woodruff.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area