Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM

10,101 posts, read 7,771,136 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the lowcountry but I hope to make it back to Greenville to retire, if not sooner. And at least I'll be coming back this way twice a year for our family vacation trips to Jocassee/Keowee.

I have had to find a new place to live, get utilities scheduled to be turned on and find new TV & cable services by researching all available options.

After doing all the above, I've really come to appreciate Greenville's lower cost of living. In order to find a place to live in a decent safe area, I had to pay so much more than I would have to find that same place in Greenville. My water will be higher, my internet/tv will be higher, gas is higher, etc.....yet jobs seem to pay less.

I will never complain about Charter ever again. For the exact same service I have now and coming in as a new customer, Time Warner wanted to charge me 55.00 more. Yikes.

I'll miss the hills and mtns in the background of the area. I'll miss the fresher air and 4 distinct seasons. I'll miss how clean the Greenville area is and all the streams and waterfalls. I'll miss there being less snakes and water bugs/roaches. I'll miss the friendliness of Greenville. Friendliness of the residents here is what stood out most to me when I first moved here. People here to me just seem so down to earth.

But I'll be on the boat a lot on the weekends in Charleston and chowing down on all the fresh seafood, so that will help with the transition until I can make it back.

Y'all sure are lucky to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I'll be moving to the lowcountry but I hope to make it back to Greenville to retire, if not sooner. And at least I'll be coming back this way twice a year for our family vacation trips to Jocassee/Keowee.

I have had to find a new place to live, get utilities scheduled to be turned on and find new TV & cable services by researching all available options.

After doing all the above, I've really come to appreciate Greenville's lower cost of living. In order to find a place to live in a decent safe area, I had to pay so much more than I would have to find that same place in Greenville. My water will be higher, my internet/tv will be higher, gas is higher, etc.....yet jobs seem to pay less.

I will never complain about Charter ever again. For the exact same service I have now and coming in as a new customer, Time Warner wanted to charge me 55.00 more. Yikes.

I'll miss the hills and mtns in the background of the area. I'll miss the fresher air and 4 distinct seasons. I'll miss how clean the Greenville area is and all the streams and waterfalls. I'll miss there being less snakes and water bugs/roaches. I'll miss the friendliness of Greenville. Friendliness of the residents here is what stood out most to me when I first moved here. People here to me just seem so down to earth.

But I'll be on the boat a lot on the weekends in Charleston and chowing down on all the fresh seafood, so that will help with the transition until I can make it back.

Y'all sure are lucky to live here.
Good luck and come back to visit. We're really loving it here. Keep in touch!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:55 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
Good luck in your new locale!

Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM

557 posts, read 865,031 times
Awe, Diddlydudette, don't be sad. You are still going to be in South Carolina and just a few hours away. We will always have a spot for you here in Greenville, SC.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 PM

370 posts, read 947,686 times
We had to relocate to Charleston 4 years ago for my work, and my wife and I had no desire to go. After 4 years, I have come to realize that we like living here even more than the Upstate. It took a while, but I hope the same thing happens for you. We still visit the Upstate, but we find there is less we miss each year that goes by. Charleston is a vibrant area with lots of growth and its only getting better! All the best with your move.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 PM

10,101 posts, read 7,771,136 times
See what I mean about Greenville people?

Thanks all for the nice words and good wishes!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
Enjoy your new home, diddly. We will miss your presence on the Greenville Spartanburg board. Keep us updated on things.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 AM

807 posts, read 1,785,078 times
All the best to you! I love Charleston but not sure I could live there either. My son does & they seem to love it. He's getting a boat soon so maybe we will be on the water at the same time although we would never know it. Don't worry, there definitely should be a place near the lake for you.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Hope you still come to visit us in the boards, Diddlydudette! Best of luck with your move.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
Don't be a stranger, Diddlydudette! You'll still be welcome on the Greenville-Spartanburg board.

I know what you mean about leaving Greenville. Once you fall in love with it and realize how good we have it here, it makes it hard to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area