U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM

40 posts, read 42,343 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm a recent graduate that came to Greenville not long ago from NYC. Starting out on that venture of purchasing my first car, but I'm lost...I mean, who the heck drives in NYC with the MTA just a couple of blocks away and that horrible traffic, and the insurance premiums...?! Fuhgeddaboutit!!

So I just got my license a couple of months ago and am desperate for a car so I can start heading out and finding meself some career opportunities.

It's been a drag lately. I've been confined to my house zone for the past month and a half due to limited transportation! (I seriously kid you not).

I guess in NYC it's different. In the city I'm used to lower priced vehicles with low mileage. But I guess since people in SC tend to use their cars more, all I've come across are worn transmissions, overpriced high mileage cars and old models that are waay past their prime. Not to mention some dishonest people who have told me there is nothing wrong with their car when I can clearly hear how bad the engine sounds. Ugh!

So, I decided to go ahead and finance a new(ish) or used car from a dealership because I haven't had much luck with private sellers. I'm looking into models with excellent gas mileage. I like Japanese models (Sentra, Corolla, Civic, Yaris). However, for a new model I'm limited to around $12,000. Probably the Yaris might fit within this bracket although I wish I could afford a newer model Civic.

What I'm afraid of is dealing with the dealer fees which I'm not familiar with. I googled so much stuff it's boggling my brain. I read about property taxes, sales taxes, county taxes, dealer doc fees, etc. etc...some are negotiable some are not. What I would like to understand is some real world scenarios and what are the real fees I can expect when buying my car. Especially here in Greenville County. What is a good dealership in Greenville to consider?

Any experiences out there?

I have a budget for newer model 2010-2012 around $12,000. For a used model from 2001-2009 obviously much less...

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,672,418 times
I'd suggest Carmax or certified used cars sold at major brand dealerships. Not sure that pricing would be much different (or at least any lower) anywhere else in the country. I'd stay away from private individuals myself. Just too many unknowns and little recourse if something goes wrong.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,439,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'd suggest Carmax or certified used cars sold at major brand dealerships.
Carmax sounds like a good choice for your situation. Be aware that in some cases, the term "certified" can be a local dealer's term and actually mean nothing. The manufacturer's brand certification program generally does mean what you think - that the car has been inspected and may come with some partial warranty coverage.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM

40 posts, read 42,343 times
I have checked out Carmax before, but what is so great about it? Whats the difference between Carmax and a going upfront to a dealer? I know that Carmax also includes their own fees in the mix.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,439,462 times
Mainly because of the haggle-free pricing; it will at least be a fair price although not necessarily the lowest possible. Some car dealers can match this, but it's entirely up to you to strike a fair deal. I don't know the details of how good the Carmax warranties are and what they include, however.

The lowest possible price will always be from a private seller where you have it inspected by an independent mechanic.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM

671 posts, read 1,303,532 times
Don't fret about the fees, it shouldn't be that bad. SC limits sales tax to $300, your county property taxes would be low, probably much less than that. Those should be the most expensive items. I'm not sure what other fees the dealer might add, but buying a car, especially a used one is pretty affordable here. PLUS, a lot of the cars used in the South don't have nearly the rust and corrosion of cars used up North since we don't have much snow or salt on the roads. I hope that helps, good luck with your search!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 PM

85 posts, read 135,283 times
Try Elite Car Rentals, they sell their rental cars after they have been used for a period of time for a decent price and are in good condition.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,128 times
I recently moved here from Ohio and purchased a car in South Carolina. The positive is the sales tax is limited to $300. In Ohio, the sales tax depends on which city you buy the car in. For example, the tax would be 7.75%, if you purchased the vehicle in Cleveland. That leads to a substantial savings on the initial tax, especially since the tax amount is usually thrown into the loan and subject to interest.

The downside of the process in SC is the personal property tax. You have to pay an annual tax, based on the value of your vehicle. Welcome to the South Carolina Department of Revenue is a useful tool for SC tax questions.

The dealer will give you a 45 day temporary tag at the lot. They will send you an official plate in the mail. A couple weeks after you receive the plate in the mail, you will receive your tax bill, which can be paid at one of the official tax revenue locations or via internet.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 AM

2,259 posts, read 5,450,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amieb View Post
I guess in NYC it's different. In the city I'm used to lower priced vehicles with low mileage. But I guess since people in SC tend to use their cars more, all I've come across are worn transmissions, overpriced high mileage cars and old models that are waay past their prime. Not to mention some dishonest people who have told me there is nothing wrong with their car when I can clearly hear how bad the engine sounds. Ugh!
keep in mind that cars in SC generally last a much longer time than cars up north because of the weather. I have multiple friends with Honda's up over the 300 grand mark. I think thats why they are generally worth more money down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area