U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 PM

80 posts, read 123,236 times

Advertisements

So, Greenvillains (sorry, I just like using that term! ) --

I was in your fair area a couple of weeks ago visiting family and "trying on" Greenville.

I think it fit pretty well. I went to Shinola (love that place! thanks again Skyliner and gcupstate for the tip!) and bought a pair of fabulous lamps that are being housed in my parents' attic.

I went to an open house and was able to scratch it off my Zillow list of saved houses and then had a realtor take me to a couple of other houses in a neighborhood I ended up really liking: Northwood Hills.

I liked one of the houses quite a bit and kind of fell in love with the other house , but the timetable is all wonky, as we will not be in a position to move until spring and may find it more prudent to rent for the first little bit anyway. I truly hope for the current homeowners' sakes that neither of these houses is still on the market when we are ready to buy, and I don't know that there will be other homes for sale in this neighborhood when we're in the right position. However, I thought I'd pick the collective brains of the C-D forum and ask for suggestions for similar neighborhoods.

Here's what I liked about Northwood Hills: The age, size (of home & lot) and general layout of the homes, the number of trees in the neighborhood, the proximity of the neighborhood to amenities (grocery store, drugstore, downtown Greenville, etc.) but that it also felt a bit removed from the bustle, and that the neighborhood seemed rather small and contained. Also, the HOA fees are quite low, and the prices are in our range. Traffic did not seem to be a major issue during the times I was in the area, but I could be way off on that. It's near the Swamp Rabbit trail, which is a plus but I understand probably can't be duplicated by many subdivisions. It seems that one needs to drive through an "interesting" area of Greenville to reach Northwood Hills, but I didn't get the impression it was an unsafe area. I checked the map for Sheriff's calls, and it seems that there was a number of break-ins in Northwood Hills several years ago but that it has been much safer lately.

So, keeping those criteria/likes in mind, where else might we consider if we can't get into Northwood Hills?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 PM

807 posts, read 1,612,532 times
I doubt that you will have a problem as people are always moving for different reasons. Do you particularly want that side of town or are you open to different options? I am sure you will be able to find similar neighborhoods.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks for your reply, Pat.

I am open to different options, and the main reason I can see to be attracted to that side of town is its proximity to Swamp Rabbit trail. My DH and I are recent empty nesters, so schools are not an issue except in terms of resale value down the road, but DH swears we will be carried feet first out of whatever home we purchase next, so that should not be for a very long time (we hope)!

That said, I am still trying to familiarize myself with the Greenville area. I have a feeling that the closer we are to downtown, the happier we will be, but our budget won't allow us to become North Main or August Road residents, for example. And, frankly, after spending the last 6.5 years trying to keep up with our 106-year-old bungalow, I'm ready for a newer house, like 40-50 years old!

Just wondering what some of those similar neighborhoods might be....

Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 AM

807 posts, read 1,612,532 times
I understand. I will put my thinking cap on along with others who post on here. I actually have a Easley address & I am about 12 to 15 minutes to downtown. I have the oldest home in my neighborhood ( built in the 80's). I know there is one near me butvit may not be big enough. 1400 ton1600 sq. Ft. We all have about .50 to .60 ac. Lots. Would something like that be appealing?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
I understand. I will put my thinking cap on along with others who post on here. I actually have a Easley address & I am about 12 to 15 minutes to downtown. I have the oldest home in my neighborhood ( built in the 80's). I know there is one near me butvit may not be big enough. 1400 ton1600 sq. Ft. We all have about .50 to .60 ac. Lots. Would something like that be appealing?
Thanks again for responding, Pat.

I think we'd like to be closer to, probably in, Greenville. And I think the newest home we'd consider is probably early to mid-70s. I know--we're weird like that! I also think we want a minimum of 2000 sq. ft. Lot size is less important, though mature trees are pretty much a must-have. I imagine working with a Realtor will help a lot when the time comes, but I do like looking at houses online (as a way of getting to know the market, as well as a kind of "entertainment") and knowing where else to look is helpful ahead of time.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 AM

5,010 posts, read 6,991,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincoglionita View Post
Thanks again for responding, Pat.

I think we'd like to be closer to, probably in, Greenville. And I think the newest home we'd consider is probably early to mid-70s. I know--we're weird like that! I also think we want a minimum of 2000 sq. ft. Lot size is less important, though mature trees are pretty much a must-have. I imagine working with a Realtor will help a lot when the time comes, but I do like looking at houses online (as a way of getting to know the market, as well as a kind of "entertainment") and knowing where else to look is helpful ahead of time.
When we started looking we drove through that area as well, beautiful older homes but not the area I was looking to live in eventually, but can definitely understand how you like the homes. But I too had some reservations of the area, and I know of what you speak. I actually asked about this area when we were looking, right here on this forum:

Can Anyone Tell Me About Living/Buying a Home in the Furman Area?

I worked with a realtor team (2 gals) but I also scoured the internet on my own, many times finding listings before they did. I did my homework, that's for sure. For over a year I came to Greenville with a list of homes to look at, along with a list of wants in the house I was searching for (nice being an empty nester, isn't it!).

Here's a reply to a thread someone asked about on unsafe areas, along with my reply. It's hard to believe some of my older posts, which were back in 2009.

//www.city-data.com/forum/11039849-post2.html

Like you I didn't particularly want a newer home and the homes we did put an offer in were all from the 70's or older. Once we knew the area we wanted to be in then we focused on what we wanted, or didn't want in a home. We weren't in any hurry to buy so we took our time to really look and get to know the area. We had two other homes that we had a contract accepted on, both we got out of due to what the inspection showed (one had a flood 2 days before we would have closed if bought!) Over the course of time we had to give a little here and there on what we wanted since we weren't coming up with all that much within our "guidelines" Through it all, I have to say, our realtors were REALLY patient with me and with me trying to find the right house for us.

I finally figured out the right area for me, which was Greer and honestly, I couldn't be happier in the area we chose. Even now that we are here, and getting to know Greenville better with each passing day, this IS the place for us. The house we bought is nothing like any of the homes in the Northwood Hills area, not in an area like NH's either. One of the homes we had a contract would have been a closer match. But trust me, they are out there. And really, there are many neighborhoods within a close drive that are like that area, you just have to take some time and look around.

Keep looking and doing your homework. We sound very much alike in many ways when it comes to looking for a home. I wish you luck, with patience and persaverance you'll find the right home.

Last edited by Eldemila; 11-21-2011 at 01:44 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
When we started looking we drove through that area as well, beautiful older homes but not the area I was looking to live in eventually, but can definitely understand how you like the homes. But I too had some reservations of the area, and I know of what you speak. I actually asked about this area when we were looking, right here on this forum:

Can Anyone Tell Me About Living/Buying a Home in the Furman Area?

I worked with a realtor team (2 gals) but I also scoured the internet on my own, many times finding listings before they did. I did my homework, that's for sure. For over a year I came to Greenville with a list of homes to look at, along with a list of wants in the house I was searching for (nice being an empty nester, isn't it!).

Here's a reply to a thread someone asked about on unsafe areas, along with my reply. It's hard to believe some of my older posts, which were back in 2009.

//www.city-data.com/forum/11039849-post2.html

Like you I didn't particularly want a newer home and the homes we did put an offer in were all from the 70's or older. Once we knew the area we wanted to be in then we focused on what we wanted, or didn't want in a home. We weren't in any hurry to buy so we took our time to really look and get to know the area. We had two other homes that we had a contract accepted on, both we got out of due to what the inspection showed (one had a flood 2 days before we would have closed if bought!) Over the course of time we had to give a little here and there on what we wanted since we weren't coming up with all that much within our "guidelines" Through it all, I have to say, our realtors were REALLY patient with me and with me trying to find the right house for us.

I finally figured out the right area for me, which was Greer and honestly, I couldn't be happier in the area we chose. Even now that we are here, and getting to know Greenville better with each passing day, this IS the place for us. The house we bought is nothing like any of the homes in the Northwood Hills area, not in an area like NH's either. One of the homes we had a contract would have been a closer match. But trust me, they are out there. And really, there are many neighborhoods within a close drive that are like that area, you just have to take some time and look around.

Keep looking and doing your homework. We sound very much alike in many ways when it comes to looking for a home. I wish you luck, with patience and persaverance you'll find the right home.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, Eldemila.

I actually read that first thread you linked to right after I found Northwood Hills -- one of the few hits for that neighborhood on this forum.

It's so interesting that, after such a thorough search for "NH-type homes," you ended up in Greer and are very happy there. Of course, it's wonderful that you are still thrilled with where you ended up. The house-hunting process is such a personal one and is rarely linear. It's strange that I feel so "done" with our current home (which we didn't even choose for ourselves--long story) and am quite ready to move on to the next one, but the timing just isn't right yet.

Anyway, I do appreciate your thoughts and input. Also, if you would recommend your real estate agents as good buyers' agents, I would appreciate your sending me their names and contact information in a DM. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 6,991,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincoglionita View Post
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, Eldemila.

I actually read that first thread you linked to right after I found Northwood Hills -- one of the few hits for that neighborhood on this forum.

It's so interesting that, after such a thorough search for "NH-type homes," you ended up in Greer and are very happy there. Of course, it's wonderful that you are still thrilled with where you ended up. The house-hunting process is such a personal one and is rarely linear. It's strange that I feel so "done" with our current home (which we didn't even choose for ourselves--long story) and am quite ready to move on to the next one, but the timing just isn't right yet.

Anyway, I do appreciate your thoughts and input. Also, if you would recommend your real estate agents as good buyers' agents, I would appreciate your sending me their names and contact information in a DM. Thanks!
Take the timing not being right at this time that it's just not the right time for you to find a home and move. I'm a true believer that things happen for a reason and if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Once you do find the right place, the right house, things will fall in to place.

I'm going to PM you with the realtors names that I used, it was a 2 woman team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area