Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,885 times

Advertisements

Hey all, My hubby and I are seriously considering moving from CA to SC. We have been here all our lives, we're still a young family, but we can't afford CA anymore. My hubby has a good job, but it's so expensive out here and now I'm having to go back to work just to be somewhat comfortable. Anyway, we have two boys. The oldest is 10 and he's Deaf. The youngest is 5 1/2 and he's hearing. We are looking somewhere in the Greenville/Spartanburg area bc they have the South Carolina School for the Deaf there. My son is in a Deaf and Hard of Hearing program in a regular school district right now. It's a great program and he's really smart so his opportunities for a great education are our main concern. Does anyone know anything about the school for the Deaf or any other cities in SC that have Deaf/Hard of hearing programs? My hubby's work possibilities would probably be more near the Charleston area, but he could look near or closer to Greenville/Spartanburg bc of the school situation. Any help or advice or places to look on the net would be greatly appreciate. Also, what's the best way to find a wage comparisons and utilities comparison..........things like that? I'd like to see something that has a comparison of the 2 states. Sorry this is so long, but hhhhhheeeeellllllppppp? lol, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 10:55 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
I would steer away from SCSDB as education for the deaf is not very good. I would advise you to look into public schools with deaf/hard-of-hearing/hearing-impaired programs elsewhere in South Carolina.

I am unable to find any info on public schools with programs for the deaf/hh/hi. You might want to contact the Outreach Services at SCSDB - they should be able to give you list of regular schools with the programs. The website is: http://www.scsdb.k12.sc.us/outreach

Old 09-10-2006, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,885 times
Brian, thanks for your response. Not such a good education program for the Deaf at SCSDB, huh? My main concern is the education that my son will get if we move there. So, just curious, how do you know that their education for deaf isn't good? I would love anymore input you have on this school or if you find anything out about the public schools. Lemme know, thx.

I haven't been able to find any info on publics schools with such programs, either. I have been in contact with the Admissions person at SCSDB and she sent me info on their school, but I will def contact the Outreach Services. Thanks again for your input and anything else you find out.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 PM

89 posts, read 388,004 times
I don't know from first hand but there is a school here in Greenville called the school for the deaf and blind. As from what I have seen on tv, (I know that don't mean much) But it looks like a good school. And seem like the kids they show on there were haveing a good time. But don't know too much about it like I said. Just thought I would add my two cents in...

Old 09-12-2006, 05:17 PM

50 posts, read 227,500 times
Brian, where did you get your information? I can't offer any first-hand experience with the SCSDB, but I lived in Spartanburg for 14 years and heard only good things about the school.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 39,415 times
I don't know if you have already seen this but here is a link to data on the school from the Dept. of Ed.

http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2004/special/SSC-SS-SCDB-2K4.pdf (broken link)

Link to South Carolina Dept. of Ed
http://ed.sc.gov/index.html (broken link)

Link to Greenville County Schools
http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/index.asp

Old 11-19-2006, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,441 times
I have been involved with scsdb. I would definately keep your son in public school, wherever you move to. Let the state serve him in a normal environment. In public school he must be provided with the help that he needs.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:52 AM

35 posts, read 254,926 times
Well, there will always be kids in the public schools who are willing to learn to sign. My son is 10 and his friend's mom is deaf, so we've been learning to sign.

We'll also be relocating to Greenville some time next year!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
Hi relocating to Greenville,

I'm not sure if you have moved yet but I read your info. and I have a deaf son who attended the SCSDB so I felt compeled to respond. As far as education for deaf there it focuses more on career prep education and academics are not way up there. My son only attended one year, however, they do have a mainstreaming program agreement with the spartanburg school district. If you plan to enter your son in the deaf school he could utilize the mainstream program. Just so you know, you have the right as a parent to mainstream your child in any school anywhere in the US with full supports such as teacher of the deaf, interpreters, etc. and the school MUST provide that for your son under ADA law. If you are concerned with your son being exposed to sign language with his peers and the culture of the deaf, then SCSDB is great for Bi-Bi culture and they did have several deaf teachers and role models there a few years ago.
Also, I do believe the Greenville school district has somewhat of a mainstreaming program there. So if you choose for you son to live with you and go to his neighborhood school, you have the right. If you live within a distance of a deaf school and prefer him to go there he would be a residential student.

Hope this helps,
Brooke in NY

Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,689 times
I have a child who is in special ed. In NY she receives a lot of service and is in an integrated class. She is not MR but is delayed across the board and has sever ADD. When choosing between Mauldin, Simpsonville, Greenville, and surrounding areas, which elementary schools are best for special ed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area