U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

I'm a Miami native and I will be gradating with a Bachelor's in English and a state-approved minor in Education next semester. Nevertheless, in spite of a proud hispanic heritage, I often do not feel like a Miami native. I really just don't fir in or like Miami much, and am determined to leave for greener pastures. I could go anywhere. South Carolina is my main focus, however. And I have been looking very closely at Greenville. Nevertheless, I am not sure whether Greenville or someplace else in the state would be a better fit for me.

Fundamentally, I am looking for kinder, better people and a true sense of community. I want to be involved with and contribute to the local community. Will I find the close community I'm looking for here? On the flip side, I don't like nosey neighbors either, so I figure some place between a small town and a big city would be good for me.

I would be looking for a job in education. Ideally, I would like to teach at a public school, but I know I would have to fulfill some additional requirements before getting the required certificate, so I am thinking about applying to private schools before doing so. I have no friends in South Carolina, so it will be challenging. I have some money saved up and I'm thinking about renting a place, applying for jobs and hopefully getting something before my savings run dry. I would greatly appreciate some feedback on my plan, Greenville and any other suggestions for places to live, or job possibilities within South Carolina.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM

55 posts, read 122,451 times
Based on what you're looking for in a community, I would say that the actual neighborhood you live in would be more important then the city it's a part of. All of the metros of South Carolina have neighborhoods that are welcoming, friendly, and involved, and other areas that are downright standoffish if you're an outsider or think differently. Like gsupstate said, you should probably ask around in the various sub-forums about neighborhoods, community involvement, etc. Job opportunities are probably more plentiful close to the larger metros, but they still don't feel 'big city'. In Columbia you can rent an actual in-town house for around $1000/month if you're not looking for anything big or fancy (typically occupied by college students / recent grads). The other metros are probably similar, but I would expect Charleston to be more expensive.

As far as entering the education profession, you may want to look into the Pace Program. I know a few people who went through it to become teachers without already having their certifications.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Check out the Greenville forum and post there. Several Florida people that have moved to Greenville. They can give you their thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCola View Post
Based on what you're looking for in a community, I would say that the actual neighborhood you live in would be more important then the city it's a part of. All of the metros of South Carolina have neighborhoods that are welcoming, friendly, and involved, and other areas that are downright standoffish if you're an outsider or think differently. Like gsupstate said, you should probably ask around in the various sub-forums about neighborhoods, community involvement, etc.
Thanks for the advice. I will be posting around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCola View Post
As far as entering the education profession, you may want to look into the Pace Program. I know a few people who went through it to become teachers without already having their certifications.
I have come across the Pace program before while looking for info on South Carolina requirements. But it seemed to me a program for those already in another field who want to become teachers later on in their lives. I will have to look deeper into the program, but its good to hear that its a viable option anyway.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 AM

334 posts, read 556,413 times
I would look around hendersonville and ashville NC. The greenville area is depressed when the economy is on the upsweep. Plus with a college there I'd think teaching positions may be harder to come by. I know there is a couple private schools, military in Camden SC for one.
at the risk of being politically incorrect, and because I too lived in Fl and loved Miami and it's wonderful and diverse population, I feel I should share something here. Because of the illegal situation and hard feelings, you may have a harder time here in SC. They have a big problem and it could get nasty with this election coming up and this is a big issue here.
Having said that, there is a large spanish speaking community here, I live in one as a matter of fact. I know in Miami your heritage is not an issue, nor should it be, but this is deep south and very different than Fl. so perhaps a couple visits first, and job interviews?
and of course it goes without saying to never make a huge move until employment is secured. Esp right now, with a job market in the trash. Best wishes to you and please people, I'm trying to be helpful and the only way to do that is to tell the truth. let's not make this about anything other than that, OK?

Old 12-31-2011, 07:52 AM

897 posts, read 2,106,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea King View Post
I'm a Miami native and I will be gradating with a Bachelor's in English and a state-approved minor in Education next semester. Nevertheless, in spite of a proud hispanic heritage, I often do not feel like a Miami native. I really just don't fir in or like Miami much, and am determined to leave for greener pastures. I could go anywhere. South Carolina is my main focus, however. And I have been looking very closely at Greenville. Nevertheless, I am not sure whether Greenville or someplace else in the state would be a better fit for me.

Fundamentally, I am looking for kinder, better people and a true sense of community. I want to be involved with and contribute to the local community. Will I find the close community I'm looking for here? On the flip side, I don't like nosey neighbors either, so I figure some place between a small town and a big city would be good for me.

I would be looking for a job in education. Ideally, I would like to teach at a public school, but I know I would have to fulfill some additional requirements before getting the required certificate, so I am thinking about applying to private schools before doing so. I have no friends in South Carolina, so it will be challenging. I have some money saved up and I'm thinking about renting a place, applying for jobs and hopefully getting something before my savings run dry. I would greatly appreciate some feedback on my plan, Greenville and any other suggestions for places to live, or job possibilities within South Carolina.
If you've found Greenville through your research to be an area that you are interested in living to, then that probably means that Greenville is a good place to start. I think you'll find that kind of community you are looking for in Greenville if you get out and meet people and get invoved in things - which it sounds like you want to do. It sounds like you are looking for a city on a much smaller scale than Miami but that still is an attractive place to live. If you are interested in South Carolina, then you've got the Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston areas to start.

I too would suggest researching the job situation/what it takes to get certified in SC/etc. before just picking up and moving. One resource you may want to look at is:
CERRA || Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention, & Advancement || Home (http://www.cerra.org/home.html - broken link)
From their website, they "provide leadership in identifying, attracting, placing and retaining well-qualified individuals for the teaching profession in our state." It is associated with Winthrop University in Rock Hill, which is very involved with and highly regarded in teacher education here in SC.
It looks like they do a teacher expo every year (I am assuming job fair?). Also check out the state Dept. of Education website which you may have already. South Carolina Department of Education

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM

11,338 posts, read 22,641,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
The greenville area is depressed when the economy is on the upsweep. Plus with a college there I'd think teaching positions may be harder to come by.
Wow...you don't really know what you're talking about do you? If you're going to bash an area at least have some FACTS to back it up with. I doubt you would see a depressed city getting 1,400 new jobs from one of the largest banks in the country: http://www.greenvilleeconomicdevelop...le_sc_gadc.pdf

Last edited by g-man430; 12-31-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 PM

11,338 posts, read 22,641,458 times
Yep...talk about a depressed city-

Southwest Airlines coming to GSP Airport: Southwest Announces 7 Nonstops Out Of GSP - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/25442761/detail.html - broken link)

$100 million mixed-use project downtown with bank headquarters that will create hundreds of new jobs: Main Street Rising | The Journal Watchdog by Community Journals, a media company based in Greenville, S.C and CertusBank Announces Expansion

Bi-Lo which is headquartered here buying Winn-Dixie to become one of the largest grocery store chains in the country: Bi-Lo buys Winn-Dixie supermarket chain

Greenville's unemployment rate continuing to drop: //www.city-data.com/forum/south...elow-10-a.html

GSP Airport launching $102 million renovation/expansion project: Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport to launch $102 million facelift in 2012 | GoUpstate.com

Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 7,273,607 times
He definitely missed the bus on that post. Lol

Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,244,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Wow...you don't really know what you're talking about do you? If you're going to bash an area at least have some FACTS to back it up with. I doubt you would see a depressed city getting 1,400 new jobs from one of the largest banks in the country: http://www.greenvilleeconomicdevelop...le_sc_gadc.pdf
To be fair GMan, there is a huge drop in the asset size of US Banks after the top 4. At 09/30/11, TD had less than $200b in assets (US). That compares with the $1.3 Trillion in assets held by Wells Fargo at #4. TD is just ahead of Ally at #15. While a nice size, it has much better name recognition in Canada than it does in the US.

Not to by cynical (1,400 banking positions is good) but curious, are the 1,400 positions in addition to the jobs that were already there or do they include the current positions....in other words, what is the net new hire? What functions will be there....compliance, regulatory, legal, marketing, finance? Any trading functions? Will this contain a large operations/processing group?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 7,273,607 times
The point gman is making, is that the post about Greenville being depressed is far from true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area