Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,491 times

Advertisements

I've been virtually driving (via Google Maps) the roads around Greenville and Spartanburg, looking for something like a small town (not that Greenville and Spartanburg are big cities). Ya know...a town square and a main street. Courthouse and a diner. Something homey. I see names for places, but when I get down to street level it's house, gap, house, gap, gap, house, gap, filling station, gap gap. Maybe a lonely Wendy's, or deserted looking little cluster of chain stores.

I'll make the, for whatever reason unpopular, admission that I'm a second generation Californian. Grew up in Santa Cruz (when I was a kid, the city proper was roughly the size of Greenville) - most of the time in some of the outlying towns, like Aptos, or old lumber towns in the mountains like Boulder Creek or Ben Lomond. Places like that, most of the houses were squirreled away off in the forest, but there was always a "town" area...fire station, a restaurant or two, maybe a few shops and a local market or local supermarket (as in, not a chain store market). In time, shopping centers started to spring up, off out of the way, but the town centers were still there.

I'm not seeing that in Upstate SC so much. I moved down to L.A. - the land of my nativity (though I'm a naturalized northerner, eg: fogbelt) and reaaallly hate the heat and the faceless sprawl, so was thinking the Carolinas looked peaceful. Can anyone point me towards an actual town town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 AM

827 posts, read 1,664,997 times
Google map is very slow in updating it's streetview. Right between Greenville and Spartanburg is a place called Greer. A smallish city [large town] Courthouse/PD/FD has MANY stores, shops, and other business. I live there for roughly 8 1/2 yrs and enjoyed it there. It has a small town flavor to it and the folks are nice. It's actually in BOTH Greenville AND Spartanburg Counties so where ever you want to live remember that part.

IF you want smaller towns they are dotted all along Highway 29 [Wade Hampton Blvd.] But I think you'll be happy with Greer [or as some call it GRRRR ]

Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,109,251 times
I'm not sure if you'd think Greer was small town enough or not, (I'm from Miami, so it's small in comparison to there). We have a Main St, small as it may be, but there are some very well known restaurants there, and a beautiful park.

City Of Greer

Greer, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greer Development Co.

We moved here almost a year ago and love it. After deciding on moving to the Greenville area, I narrowed my choice areas to Taylors and Greer, and we decided on a home in Greer. It's exactly what I was looking for, the only thing to make it better would be to have a Trader Joes in Greer, a closer Homegoods would be nice, and maybe Publix to go where D&D Ford is leaving from.

Not sure if this area would fit your criteria or not, but worth looking in to if you haven't already.

Here's just one thing I experienced just yesterday here in this small town that would NEVER have happened in SOFLA.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22429734-post127.html

Good luck in your quest!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,471,979 times
Anderson, Easley,Travelers Rest, Seneca all come to mind. Greenwood may be a little further than you want, but it has a nice downtown.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,109,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Travelers Rest, Seneca, Greenwood all come to mind
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything much in dt Travelers Rest - went to Williams Hardware, but there was nothing else. Seriously, did we miss a shopping area?? More restaurants??

Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM

800 posts, read 1,453,420 times
Pendleton has a neat town square/town commons, with a very "New England"-style feel to it. And, it's close to Anderson, Clemson, and Lake Hartwell.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all the responses - will look into Pendleton, and did look into Greer. Greer looks very cheery, and remarkably new.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM

298 posts, read 682,351 times
I am thinking Traveler's Rest has what you are looking for.

Small town feel but with crunchy granola in it's DNA to satisfy your California tendencies. Muy gut tells me that down the road, TR is going to be the liberal corner of the upstate world.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Thanks - I'll check it out too. Not expecting much "granola" - I'll settle for civility.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,723,062 times
Inman. I live here and love it. It might be too small for some, but we love it. Across the road from our house, there are no houses - just woods across from the road. We take walks on the weekends to the dairy farm down the road - one of the cows has a little crush on my husband!

The schools in District 1 are great, if that's a consideration, and it's peaceful and quiet here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area