Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,822 times

Advertisements

I ask because this is our second year in Gville, son's first year at middle school. He goes to Greenville Middle, and it's not going too well for him. I am considering moving so we can send him to a different one next year. Without getting into school rivalries, I would love to hear personal experiences either based on family or personal experiences w/ your middle school. I just don't know much about the others considering I am not from here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,540,391 times
We asked for reassignment to Mauldin from Hillcrest or Bryson, I don't remember which anymore but our assigned school didn't meet our needs. Our son liked Mauldin a lot even though he had to make all new friends there. But now that he's at the high school he's found some of the friends he left behind in 5th grade. If there is any interest in band and especially marching, Mauldin is the best choice on this side of town.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM

684 posts, read 1,187,771 times
I went to school up north where they taught things like evolution!

But seriously, do they teach that in SC schools?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 AM

99 posts, read 213,784 times
Mine are at Northwood -- it is fine, but just merely. Keep in mind there's probably no such thing as a truly good middle school because they're all filled with, you know, middle-schoolers. It's a gruesome age and unless something were truly WRONG at a current school I'd hesitate to move them and thus add new-kid status into the adolescent equation.

That said I have heard wonderful things about Langston Charter.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am still not sure what way to go, every school has pros and cons. With my son having autism, adhd, anxiety, etc. I have to try to consider the special ed program, but there is only so much the state even allows for accommodation when he is as high functioning as he is. I have looked at private schools, but I can't afford that. He is bullied and has issues w/ his grades, but that would probably happen anywhere.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,730 times
Does the school not have a Resource class or Strategies Lab for at least 1 period a day to address his social skills and academic help associated with his autism? I'm a SPED teacher and even though I'm not in Greenville, I thought these classes were pretty much standard in a district such as Greenville.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Does the school not have a Resource class or Strategies Lab for at least 1 period a day to address his social skills and academic help associated with his autism? I'm a SPED teacher and even though I'm not in Greenville, I thought these classes were pretty much standard in a district such as Greenville.
He did in elementary school, but in middle school it is either total inclusion or total non-inclusion. He has an IEP for behaviors and organization, but the teacher only checks in w/ him and honestly the IEP is not closely adhered to. It has gotten to the point where I have had to go to the special ed board and hopefully they can help. The teachers seem to think it is all due to bad choices, and I don't think they truly understand that there are real functional deficits and limitations behind the actions and behaviors. It's like a sink or swim mindset.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 PM

99 posts, read 213,784 times
Sorry -- I didn't realize your son is autistic so my previous comment doesn't apply to this situation.

I wonder if part of the problem is that his teachers just don't understand autism. Does someone studying to be, say, a math teacher take any courses at all in special ed?

Is there some sort of parents-of-autistic-kids support group or organization in town? Might be very helpful to find someone whose high-functioning child is a couple years older than yours so you could benefit from their experience re schools, resources, IEP enforcement, etc.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,512 times
Which private schools have you looked at? If you have not visited Einstein Academy, I would encourage you to do so. Yes, it costs money. However, it is not quite as expensive as some of the schools out there. They really do have a wonderful program for students with learning differences. They have small class sizes, physical education every day, and related arts (including social skills).

My other suggestion would be to look at charter schools. I believe there is another charter middle school in Greenville (Lead Academy, I think). That might be worth looking into. Middle school is a really tough age for most kids. for those who might be a little different, it can be awful.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,513 times
HI

I have spent 15 years advocating for parents with kids with disabilities in school. I am a licensed school counselor and also have a child with LD and ADHD. I would strongly encourage you to read any and all information regarding your rights under IDEIA. This is the federal law covering everything the school is responsible. If the school is not following the IEP you have recourse to make them. With schools the squeaky wheel really does get the grease. also there should be no tolerance for bullying with your child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area