Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,429 times

Advertisements

So the US History class I teach just wrapped up our discussion of school desegregation in the decades following world war 2 and we talked obviously being in the south about GCS's own history with breaking down the race barrier in it's schools. I showed them what I think is a good website with a lot of good info about schools like Beck, Bryson, Sterling, etc... and some of the other GC schools that no longer exist (i.e. parker, paris, etc...) and was wondering about something I read and heard from one of them recently.

I read in an article about the history of Beck High I think it was that when the district decided to desegregate they went with an 80:20 ratio since that was apparently the demographic of the county back in the early 70s and I'm curious as to whether or not that was truly achieved and my second question is one of my students mentioned how her father took part in the GCS version of busing back in the 70s when he lived in TR and was bussed to Southside High School. Anyone on here who has been around here long enough remember any of this? Confirm it?

we spent at length talking about the Little Rock 9 and the integration of Central High back in '57 and the amount of raw emotion that was displayed during that time and in that place and wondered if Greenville County experienced anything similar when it integrated in the early 70s.

I will say coming from the midwest that the GCS are some of the more racially integrated schools I've ever seen.

p.s. the more history in your replies the better :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area