Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

In this particular case, the word "major" actually originated with The City of Greenville when the press conference was first officially announced. The Para-cycling World Championship may not equate to the definition of "major" for most people, but from a local perspective it is impressive and a great honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 PM

356 posts, read 677,204 times
I agree this is a "major event" for Greenville however it is not a "major sport event"... Still good news but Greenville has the capacity to host major sports... we have hosted NCAA basketball tourny opening round games.. and have the capacity to host a major golf event with the cliffs at glassy. Guess I was hoping for a "major sport" versus major event..

So it comes down to semantics.

Oh well still good news

Old 01-31-2012, 02:13 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
C'mon now. You need to put things into perspective. The closest Greenville will ever benefit from a Superbowl is if Charlotte ever hosts it (overflow). Last time I checked, the Drive is not in the MLB (but could host a minor league championship). So when I first read gman's post, I did not expect the Superbowl or World Series to happen here.

Cycling first came to mind...and that's what we are getting. Bravo Greenville!
You must not understand the concept of sarcasm.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM

55 posts, read 114,558 times
Man this is way cool. A guy I work with has a cripple brother and Im gonna let him know about this. What number can I call if I wanna help out?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
Well, I think it's great news. It brings people into Greenville which generates revenue! Thanks for the post.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
This is a big deal.

Maybe not a Joe Biden big "effin" deal, but it's big. I had the opportunity to work with the U.S. Paralympic Ski Team, as well as the U.S. ski team. These are extremely talented, world-class athletes. And with so many guys and gals coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan with disabilities (not "cripple," good lord), adaptive sports will only become bigger in this country, imo.

I encourage everyone to go. This isn't the Special Olympics. Most of these folks could probably kick all your butts up and down the road all day long.

US gets second cycling world championship as 2014 paracycling worlds heads to South Carolina - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/us-gets-second-cycling-world-championship-as-2014-paracycling-worlds-heads-to-south-carolina/2012/01/30/gIQAya13cQ_story.html - broken link)

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I agree with Art123 and couldn't have said it any better.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 AM

186 posts, read 358,580 times
Outstanding. And if folks don't consider this "major," then at least it continues to get the city of Greenville, SC recognized. Think about it -- only 20 years ago we never would have had a national anything. Every new event just points to bigger and better.

OK, the nationally televised "Styx-Improv on Ice" at the Bi-Lo Center may have set us back a bit, but that's not the point! <grin>

Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
You must not understand the concept of sarcasm.
When it's done correctly.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:17 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
Outstanding. And if folks don't consider this "major," then at least it continues to get the city of Greenville, SC recognized. Think about it -- only 20 years ago we never would have had a national anything. Every new event just points to bigger and better.

OK, the nationally televised "Styx-Improv on Ice" at the Bi-Lo Center may have set us back a bit, but that's not the point! <grin>
Too funny. Yeah, I recently got an email form the Bi-lo center announcing "BASSNECTAR" is going to be here.

Not sure how to pronounce the first syllable - like the instrument or the fish. I imagine the instrument, but I prefer the fish myself. Makes you think what the heck that could be...bass nectar? Can you get it at Trader Joe's?

Apologies to any BASSNECTAR fans out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area